Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KyDryerProblem Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 01:28 PM
    MayTag Dryer Heating element
    I have a Maytag stacked washer dryer. Model #LSE7804ACE.

Should the heating element come on and go off during the drying cycle. The dryer itself never shuts off. The fan is blowing and the duct is new. I can watch the element come on and go off.

I have recently noticed it takes longer to dry clothes so I cleaned the lint out from inside the access panel and replaced the vent. This is when I thought I would check to see if something was wrong with the element and noticed that looked fine other than a little droopy but then it went off and a few minutes later it came back on?

Any help appreciated!
    Neos Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 06:56 AM
    Yes. There is a thermostat that prevents the dryer from getting too hot, baking your clothes. Not sure if it cuts it off entirely - may just regulate the current. Your checking it outside it's natural design very well could have an effect as you noted.
    Since you have cleaned it up really good, it very well may be more quick.
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 25, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Yes, the element shuts completely off when it has reached the regulating thermostat temp. You didn't say how you observed the element going on and off. If you saw it by having the dryer door open then it will short-cycle because insufficient airflow over the element will trip the hi-limit thermostat, which is a safety feature.

Apr 26, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphS
    Yes, the element shuts completely off when it has reached the regulating thermostat temp. You didn't say how you observed the element going on and off. If you saw it by having the dryer door open then it will short-cycle because insufficient airflow over the element will trip the hi-limit thermostat, which is a safety feature.

Thanks guys.

Ralph,

It is a stacked unit and there is a panel with two screws that I could loosen one side and peek in and see the element glowing red and then go off.

This thing does not have a fan blowing over the element though, so I am unsure about insufficient airflow though.

I have attached some pics. Do you think the element appears to be a little droopy?

RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 26, 2007, 01:59 PM
    The element is OK, they droop, as long as it's not touching the metal can, it's OK. The fan is located on the left, under the housing cover where you see the thermostat and thermal fuse. When it's running the fan sucks air through the drum and through the can which houses the element.
    If you have heat and proper airflow, it should dry the clothes within an hour depending on the material being dried.
    If the washer doesn't extract the water properly during the spin cycle, it's will take a lot longer for the clothes to dry. The way to test it is after the washer has completed it's cycle, take a towel ar wash cloth that has been washed, wring it as hard as you can and no water should be dripping out.

Apr 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphS
    The element is OK, they droop, as long as it's not touching the metal can, it's ok. The fan is located on the left, under the housing cover where you see the thermostat and thermal fuse. When it's running the fan sucks air through the drum and through the can which houses the element.
    If you have heat and proper airflow, it should dry the clothes within an hour depending on the material being dried.
    If the washer doesn't extract the water properly during the spin cycle, it's will take a lot longer for the clothes to dry. The way to test it is after the washer has completed it's cycle, take a towel ar wash cloth that has been washed, wring it as hard as you can and no water should be dripping out.

Thanks Ralph I will try that with a wash cloth. I had not really thought about that the clothes may not be spun dry enough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating element Kenmore 70 series electric dryer [ 6 Answers ]

When I start the dryer the heating element gets hot for about 5 seconds then blows a fuse. The dryer will still cycle, but never get hot again. I replaced the fuses and no luck. When I took the plate off I can see that it is getting hot. There are 5 coils and it appears that the top 3 coils are...

Replace heating element in a Kenmore dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have picture or directions on how to replace the heating element . I am in AZ and the dryer is back home in CA, so I do not have the model , but I can get it if it is needed to answer mymquestion. Thanks in advance :rolleyes:

How to replace heating element in Kenmoore dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, The heating element on my Kenmoore 86873800 dryer. I have the part but don't know how to replace it. Anyone know how? Thank You!

Maytag dryer heating element wiring schematic [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag dryer model#SDE5401AYW and it quit heating. We purchased a new heating element and went to hook it up but we have two gray wires that come from the wire harness at the motor that we have no clue where they go. My father-in-law took out the old heating element and didn't mark the...

View more questions Search