Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelbabe1759 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Is 18 too young
    Me and my boyfrien have been dating for almost a year, I'm 16 now and we are already in love and talking about getting married when I turn 18. He will be 19. We are so much in love. Of course we argue, but we always make it right. At the moment we are living in different states and have been for 8 months andit is still working. He trusts me andi trust him.. so what do you think, of course my parents think its too young but we will have been dating for 3 years by that time.. they like him but what us to wait and not plan so far ahead but I can't imagine my life without him...
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 24, 2007, 01:19 PM
    So, you have been dating for one year but separated for the last 8 months and in 2 years time you will have been dating for 3? Get to 18 before you start planning your wedding. So much can happen by then.

If you get to 18 and can support yourself and want to get married there is nothing stopping you.
    Secret_J Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

Apr 24, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Love goes beyond just feelings, especially if you are talking about marriage. It's not just the age factor but ask yourself, are you ready to commit to the emotional and financial responsibilities that a marriage expects from you?

I agree - wait until you turn 18. Who knows if you are even still with him by then.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 02:43 PM
    I think its too young. I think you are in love, but that your understanding of love and relationships will likely evolve for some time. Waiting a few more years won't hurt.

I dated a girl through 2 years HS, all of college, 1 year med school. Yes we were in love, yes we talked about marriage. Right down to the dress she wanted and where wed live.

I'm so damn glad we didn't marry. We were right for each other early on, but things changed. Being married would not have saved it. It was better to wait a few years and see how we matured. Really, really better.

And then my best friend in college did the same thing... dated his HS sweetheart through college. They married after, when he was 24 and she was 22. In their situation, a few more years of growing helped then know it was right.

So... I really think you are in love. I also think you might want to give a little more time to see if things are right. If you are still together then there you go. It isn't disrespectful of the relationship to wait a little longer.

Of course people marry later and it doesn't always work and people marry younger and sometimes it lasts the ages.

If you were my daughter, and I have one who is 20, id encourage you to wait a while, even if the guy was one I admired and "approved" of. Personally, I really didn't know myself well enough until I was probably 25-ish.

Marriage is great when its done right. Its also work when its done right. No harm in you taking a little more time... but then its all up to you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I too young? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I'm married and I'm 21 years old. But I'm ready to start a family. My career is set. And we make enough money to support childern. It's just I'm so stressed out when we try. And we don't succeed. I feel really depressed and don't know what to do.

Way too young for this! [ 11 Answers ]

Our 8 year old daughter and my best friends son (7 years old) were told a week or so ago in a conversation with them that we felt they were too young to be boyfriend/girlfriend when they asked us if they could be. Today, when I looked in on the kids, the girl (8) and boy (7) were sitting on the...

Too young? [ 11 Answers ]

Hey, Im 16 and me and my boyfriend have been together for awhile now and do you ever just get the feeling that he's the one? Well I have the feeling and my boyfriend has asked me to marry him in the fall. He is 21 and I know that seems like a lot of age difference, but I am very mature for my age....

Too young? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 11 and "well developed" lots of guys and girl in my year started asking each other out about 1 1/2 years ago, I was asked out once and found it was boring because our parents wouldn't let us meet up anywere and I was dumped a few days later. Now its more interesting as many of my friends have...

I this Too Young [ 4 Answers ]

I'm dating a boy that is 2 yrs. Younger than me and we are both in love. He wants to get married now... is that to young for him... and how do I know that it is real then there is his former friend that I dated before that is now wanting me back I love him dearly what do I do... stay or go...

View more questions Search