Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honda2327 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 08:24 PM
    More info!
    Oh yeah one more thing you don't have to have a warranty either, just make the call! But if you wait too long they might get tired of replacing radios and stop doing it! So I'd act as fast as possible :)
    hrr1971 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2005, 11:44 PM
    2003 Accord radio not backlit
    Just call them directly and they should open a case for you. 1-800-999-1009. They are aware of this problem and should work with you to resolve it. I called Yesterday and now am waiting for a call back. Fingers crossed.
    mpopeskov Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 07:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hrr1971
    Just call them directly and they should open a case for you. 1-800-999-1009. They are aware of this problem and should work with you to resolve it. I called Yesterday and now am waiting for a call back. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks for advice. Unfortunatelly I am in Canada and have to deal with Honda Canada. They were not satisfied with diagnostic that my dealership did (probably because they did it for free and visualy) and to open the case they require me to do full diagnostic ($95 + tax) and after that they would consider doing something for me.

I am not sure what they do during "diagnostic" and what the result of diagnostic would tell them what is wrong. I will try to get that info from the dealership. For me it is obvious just looking at the unit. Everything works normally except it doesn't have light, so to see information on the display I now use battery lamp. Not convinient but at least it is cheaper.
    eldar_a Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 08:30 AM
    #04-027 Audio-HVAC Module is Dim or Dark
    I am joining this discussion because my 03 EX 4-door Accord car stereo display went off last night, too. After scheduling an appointment with Honda Carland last evening, I found this message board with tons of people experiencing same problem. I did call American Honda per your advice and requested that all service be done under basic warranty (my 03 EX has 31k Mls, and I have an extended warranty too).
    I was also able to google-out a PDF file that many people here are referring to - Honda Service Bulletin:
    (#04-027 Audio-HVAC Module is Dim or Dark)
    At this stage, I am waiting for American Honda rep to call me and I hope that they will agree to replace unit or to get it fixed under a factory warranty...
    I will keep you posted.
    Good Luck to all!!
    :)
    jaydolph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 05:01 PM
    Honda Came Through
    I called Honda of America about a week ago. They assigned me a case # and a case worker they said they would call me back in 48 hours. They did not call but I called three times never spoke to my case worker. I left messages.What I did not know they were working on it.The dealer called me on yesterday told me Honda of America will repair the radio 100% free .I took my car in to the dealership and persuant to there word they fixed it free. I am very happy now. My car has nearly 80000 miles and I eat my words that they down stand behind there product. I owe them an apology. My wife is now considering trading her accord for a Honda Pilot. If you call and talk to Honda they will stand by the product. It is not me they repaired a friend of mine Accord also. Please make the call if you want to get your car repaired. :D
    Kudos Honda
    honda2327 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 05:09 PM
    Radio light
    I called them a week ago and today they told me that they will buy me a new radio but I have to pay the pabor charges!!
    mpopeskov Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2005, 06:07 PM
    Dealership agreed to replace radio for free
    After sending e-mail to dealership with questions about "diagnostic" that they and Honda Customer Service told me has to be done, guy from dealership called me to tell that there is no diagnostic for this type of the problem and that they will replace radio for free. So now I am waiting for them to get the radio in service and to call me.
    mtmagm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2005, 12:41 PM
    03 Accord Radio Lighting
    Yesterday the lights went out on my 2003 Honda Accord Coupe radio. I have tried to call my dealership, but they are busy. I am waiting on a call back. I went on line and found this site. Glad to know I am not alone. I called American Honda and filed a report with them. I am supposed to hear back from someone in 24-48 hours. I am also out of warranty, but was told they may help me out. I will post the outcome. Thanks!
    KnightRider Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2005, 02:00 PM
    Where are you located?
    I would love to know what dealership that was? Where are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by pb39374
    My light went out in my dash this past summer. I brought it to my local dealer and they replaced the radio free of charge without any questions asked. They said it is a common problem with this model and should be covered by warranty since it is a "defect". The only way to fix it is to replace the entire unit with a new one. Of course, the first time they ordered the radio they ordered the radio for the 4 door model (I HAVE A 2 DOOR). But they ordered the correct radio and I had it resolved with-in a week.
    Renee199 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2005, 07:45 PM
    Robertson Honda took care of me
    I had my Radio installed free of charge in North Hollywood California Robertson Honda they are the best, not even a penny :o
    mtmagm Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2005, 07:44 AM
    03 Accord Radio Lighting
    I live in Atlanta, GA. I am still waiting on a second call back from American Honda. I will probably call them today.
    KnightRider Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2005, 07:49 AM
    Radio Light Ongoing issues...
    I found the service bulletin. I'm going in today to the local dealer to get the diagnostic American Honda needs as proof of the problem. My car is out of warranty so I will need a goodwill approval to avoid the high cost. If approved fine. If not I'll complain as much as possible but, won't pay that cost. Did you get the link for the service bulletin. I'm in Dayton, OH area. When I asked the service department (Hidy Honda, Beavercreek OH) representative he denied any knowledge of this bulletin (hope it displays):

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=673

I hope I have a good result from this. After the trip to the dealer I will phone American Honda to make sure they have a case opened and pray from that point on.
    Biswas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 05:58 AM
    Radio display issue
    The display on the radio in my 2003 Honda Accord EX just went out last week even though the radio and climate control worked normally. My car had 42,000 miles on it and is out of warranty. I found this thread and also the link to the technical service bulletin (04-027). The bulletin clearly states that if the display is dark/dim but the radio works fine, the solution is replacement and installation of a new radio without cost to the customer regardless of warranty status.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/at...tachmentid=673

So I just took the bulletin to my local dealership (Hudson Honda) and told them about the problem. Within a couple of hours, they had replaced the radio free of charge with no hassles. So if any dealership attempts to charge for replacement and installation of a new radio, I would report it to American Honda. Dealerships take their ratings very seriously. If need be, tell the dealership that you will call American Honda about their attempt to charge you for something that should be taken care of for free. These crooked dealerships are probably taking money from both American Honda as part of the service bulletin and unsuspecting customers. BEWARE of crooked dealerships.
    reever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 12:56 AM
    Honda Accord EX center console instrumentation light
    I have the same issue as amny others, unfortunately. The first thing I did is to go to the NHTSA website and fiel a complaint http://www.nhtsa.com/portal/site/nht...a431046108a0c/

Hopefully if enough owners of the most widely sold passenger cars file a complaint this will give leverage against American Honda to fix this defect. My only hope is that since the instrumentation is not visible, the argument can be made that the defrosters cannot relaible be used -which is ILLEGAL.

I will cann the dealer and American HOnda in the morning to see what they can do. I will keep this posting updated and good luck to all in the same situation.
    dgainer1 Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Dec 31, 2005, 08:09 AM
    Relax
    I know how upsetting this problem is since I have experienced it first hand. I hated driving around not being able to see the climate controls! But, I believe American Honda is standing by their product and is fixing the problem. You simply have to call and do your part. I was worried at first too, about the expense of the problem, but I had NO issues with Honda. They were very courteous and prompt in fixing my problem. I just want to give some reassurance to those of you who are just now going through this experience that it is fixable however inconvenient it might be. The dealership I went to even gave me a free loaner to go to work with. I can't speak for all dealer's out there but it does pay to ask for what you want. Good luck!
    TBrown Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2005, 05:03 PM
    Ditto
    Same problem as everyone else. Took it in for the 40K checkup & told them to change the lightbulb. They called me & told me they needed to replace the radio for $700 & I went ballistic. Finally today I find this forum. American Honda is closed, but once I told the newbie service rep what I found out here, including the service bulletin, he said they (David McDavid Honda in Irving TX) would replace at no cost. I told him I wanted him to order a replacement, call me when it is delivered, set an appointment to replace & provide a loaner given the amount of time invested in the wild goose chase. I asked him if he had any questions & he said no. Many thanks to you all!
    mystified88 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2006, 08:10 AM
    2003 Honda Accord Backlighting issue
    Okay, here is the deal on this one. Located inside the main unit of the radio/climate controls (big metal box which holds both the CD's you insert, and the actual AM/FM receiver) there is an electronic component Honda calls a resistor. More than likely it is a resister, but of a very small value 0.1 ohms or so. Anyway, the backlighting/climate lights get power which is passed through this part. It apparently burns out (Open) after some time has passed. I had to fix this problem on my Brothers 2003. It took some time to find and fix, but it works fine now. To be honest, the part only costs about $1 dollar! I just jumpered over it with a piece of wire! Honda really should have thought this one out before placing it close to other warm components in the system. If you have any questions email me!
    GurlRacerWRX Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2006, 07:16 AM
    :confused: Well surprise surprise this has happened to my 03 Honda Accord EX coupe too. I have owned one other Honda and I never had these kind of problems! I even have a Subaru WRX that has been raced for 2 years and nothing like this! I called Honda lastnight and they said I had to get an estimate as well. I called the dealership here in Myrtle Beach (I am from Texas, just relocated here last month) last night and he was so unhelpful! I called the dealer back this morning and the service manager said he could just get some number from the front of my radio and save me the trip for the estimate. The guy at Honda said that it is a good chance I won't have to pay anything for it, but he cannot make any promises. I have 49,893 miles on my car partly from the 1200 mile trips from Texas to South Carolina. I hope they will do the right thing and help everyone. They for the most part put out good products, there is no reason why they shouldn't put a recall out and warn other owners!! This is crazy to put us, the consumer through all this back and forth for THEIR mistake. It says right on the TSB that it is a faulty unit, if I am paying on a $21,000 car, and it has anything faulty it should be replaced. If they do not fix this in my car, I have a lease I will pay the difference and buy another Subaru and drop my honda in their lap and make it their problem!
    2003coupe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Getting it fixed... I hope
    I had the same problem as everyone descibes. I called American Honda this morning (1-800-999-1009). I was fully expecting to have to go nuts on them at some point to get this resolved. The woman I spoke with was really awesome. Basically, I just told her that I have a problem with my vehicle and my local Honda service department has not been helpful in resolving it. I told them that their solution was totally unsatisfactory. I think that gets their attention right off. I told her that my display went out and that my car is out of warranty (even though it only has 21,000 miles). I told her that the dealership quoted the replacement unit at $853, and that it is totally unacceptable. She asked for the name of the person I spoke with. She put me on hold for a minute or two. When she returned, she gave me a case number and said that the local Honda service department would be contacted about this. According to her, American Honda is going to take care of it.

All I have to do is call and make an appointment, and American Honda is going to take care of the rest. It took less than 10 minutes on the phone with American Honda and they were totally willing to help. I'll let you know how it goes with the service department at the dealership.
    Me2 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2006, 10:06 AM
    03 Radio Light Problem
    I also have a 03 model Honda Accord w/ 61K miles & out of warranty. My local service dealer told me that this was a problem in all 03 models, not just the Accord. They quoted approx $400 to replace.

Anyway, I googled the problem & found this site... Following other posts, I printed the service bulletin & called American Honda (800-999-1009). I told the rep my problem, about this particular post thread & the service bullet info. She was very polite & gave me a case #. The next day my local service mgr called me to schedule the replacement at NO $ to me. I wanted to add this for others to follow. Thanks all, for the advice!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/C problems on 2003 Honda Accord [ 21 Answers ]

The a/c on my 2003 honda accord will all of a sudden stop blowing cold air. I already had the filter changed thinking that was the problem. The mechanic is having a hard time figuring out what is wrong with it because everything checks out good but seems to think it could be a sensor or...

2003 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

My radio lights just stopped working. Cannot see any controls on the cd, radio, or air conditioner. Was wondering if any one might no what the problem might be. The radio works fine and everything else is fine, just don't have an illumination.

Clunking sound in Honda Accord 2003 [ 1 Answers ]

I drive a 2003 Honda Accord LX (with 33K miles on it) and I have recently found that on city streets, when I am driving below 40 mph, the car suddenly develops the nasty habit of making clunking sounds on the driver side. The clunking sound is periodic and sounds as if something is stuck in the...

Honda accord 2003 picture [ 2 Answers ]

I am searching for a picture of a Honda Accord 2003 white or silver color and white leather inside, might have some body kits or something. Please help

Honda Accord 2003 [ 0 Answers ]

Hey there I am looking for a picture of Honda Accord 2003 white or silver color with white leather inside ?

View more questions Search