Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimberly60 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Unwed Pregnancy Etiquette
    My daughter informed me that it would be proper etiquette for the mother of her boyfriend to contact me (her mother) regarding her pregnancy if they were married. They are not married and are not planning a wedding. The boyfriends mother is going to call me regarding this as proper etiquette. My daughter is 21, her boyfriend 30. I have never heard of this etiquette nor understand what to expect or how to respond.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Ok, the other grandparents of the new child is going to call the other grandparents about the child. There are often many arrrangements from a nursery in the home to things that will need to be bought. So it is common that the new grandparents try to see if they can work together to do things for the new baby. So I believe not only should they call each other but most likely get together over dinner and discuss what they can do for the new baby.

While I firmly believe couples should be married, in today's society over 1/2 of couples are not married when they get pregnant and that is not a reason to get marrired in today's society.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

May 9, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Your daughter and her baby's future paternal grandmother appear to have made up a new rule if they are American. Are they from another culture?

It's a lovely gesture to call the other grandmother, but it is not expected. Actually, it's up to your daughter and her boyfriend to make the effort to introduce their parents to one another, and if you chose to have a reationship with the other mother beyond that, it is entirely up to you. Is your daughter looking for some payoff (a baby shower, for you to get together to decide what expensive baby things to buy her?)

I'd welcome the call if it comes but the conversation about it is weird. If it's appropriate in their mind for the woman to call you, why the discussion? Can't she just call?

I'm wondering, too, if you don't like the man and if you would rather not have anything to do with his family. Given your daughter's age and the fact that this man took advantage of a younger woman, I'd be pretty irritated if I were you.

Further, what would be appropriate if they were married is irrelevant if they aren't married. They are asking a bit too much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Invitation etiquette [ 1 Answers ]

Received invitation to bridal shower in another state, ifnot attending do I still need torsvp?

Unwed 17 yr old in VA pregnant [ 9 Answers ]

I'm writing for my daughter who is 17 yrs. Old and 9 months pregnant. She was 16 when she conceived and the father of the child is now 20 (19 at conception). She was living with her father at the time 6 hours away from me. She left my home because my husband and I forbid her relationship with the...

Toilet Etiquette [ 5 Answers ]

My friend and I have been in debate about her toileting habits. She has this fear of public toilets, which is perfectly reasonable (some public toilets are just nasty). So to avoid as much contact as possible, she "hovers" over the toilet when urinating. Now a group of friends and I have...

Proper etiquette [ 3 Answers ]

One of my closest friends is getting married and I am in the wedding party. Things are getting quite pricey between dress, shoes, bridal shower, bachlorette party, not to mention the cost of the hotel room for the weekend. The reception is at a very nice place and unfortunately that nice place...

View more questions Search