Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sdkoetsier Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 08:12 AM
    Briggs & Stratton 3.5hp Model 98902
    I have a Bolens Edger with a 3.5 Vertical Shaft Briggs which I purchased used with this problem: After priming the carb, the motor will start (it may take a couple of tries to keep it running) Once it keeps going, the engine seems to oscillate (revs up and dies down, revs up and dies down continually.) While it does that, it shoots black smoke (rich) from the exhaust.

It has fresh gas and a new spark plug.

Can you give me some ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks, Dan
    igottogonow Posts: 128, Reputation: 2

May 28, 2007, 09:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sdkoetsier
    I have a Bolens Edger with a 3.5 Vertical Shaft Briggs which I purchased used with this problem: After priming the carb, the motor will start (it may take a couple of trys to keep it running) Once it keeps going, the engine seems to oscillate (revs up and dies down, revs up and dies down continually.) While it does that, it shoots black smoke (rich) from the exhaust.

It has fresh gas and a new spark plug.

Can you give me some ideas as to what may be wrong?

Thanks, Dan
    I'm not real sure about a Bolen but my homelite had a similar problem and it was the fuel pump, a type of flexable rubber or fiber piece that flexes with the running of the engine and pumps the fuel. Sorry for explanation but it's the only way I can explain it.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 5, 2007, 10:13 AM
    Try And Get A Rebuild Kit For Your Carb. Some Carbs. Have To Be Replaced As They Have No Kit Available. Then After Rebuild, Screw In The Low And High Mixture Jet All The Way, Then Back The Low Jet Back Out One Full Turn, And The High Jet Two Full Turns, Go From There To Set The Carb.
    Please Rate My Answer If This Helps.
    Thanks, Mowerman2468

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Older Craftsman Tiller w/5hp Briggs and Stratton [ 11 Answers ]

I recently acquired an old tiller that I have gotten to run. It will only run on full choke. It will only till for about a minute or so before going dead. It will idle for a long period, but it's kind of a rough idle. Do I need to adjust the carberator? I have already changed out the gas and...

Briggs & Stratton 14.5hp OHV - Won't Run [ 8 Answers ]

I have a yard machine mower that was running great. It shut off in the middle of cutting and that was that. If I pour gas in the carb it tries to start, so I know I have fire. I have plenty of gas going to the carb and the solenoid on the bottom is working fine. I had the carb off, took the main...

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

Briggs & Stratton 10.5hp ignition circuit [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and greetings from New Zealand. I am wanting to fit a key activated ignition switch on to my B&S 10.5hp rear engine rider. The current systems is just a push button kill switch and a manually operated solenoid for the starting. As I have grand kids running around the yard on a regular basis...

19.5hp briggs & stratton twin cylindler [ 2 Answers ]

I have gas shooting out the carburetor I need help

View more questions Search