Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:23 AM
    "unpartition" and format hard drive
    For the heck of it I'd like to try:

I've got a laptop HD plugged into my desktop as a USB drive.

It's a 120 GB drive but it's partitioned from a partial windows setup. I see I've got a right click format option for them individually... but is there a way to "unpartition" this drive then format it?
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Apr 24, 2007, 04:41 AM
    Hi Rick,
    I think you can do it with Partition Magic
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:42 AM
    Thanks Shaved. I formatted each of them individually then ran checkdisk on them and there were no problems. Does that confirm that this is a good hard drive?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:45 AM
    Do you have a working PC you can connect it up to and store/retrieve some data from it?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 24, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Cap, it's a brand new drive ;)

Read Rick's other post because he's doing the N00b thing.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/laptop...ind-85677.html
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2007, 04:50 AM
    Hehe haha, I posted it separately as it was sort of a separate issue. I'm about ready to throw my hands up, buy this new HD from my dad and tell him to get a new laptop.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"parking" a hard drive? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! We are moving this week, and our mover said that with some computers, you have to "park" your hard drive before moving the computer. I've never heard of this. Can somebody please tell me what he's talking about, and how to know if I need to do it? Any info would be much appreciated...

How to format hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Gateway desktop. How do I re-format hard drive? I get message saying it is being used by another application when I know it isn't.

External HDD Error "Insert A Disk Into Drive" [ 1 Answers ]

I have a WD HDD installed into an external case. When I plug it into a USB port, a drive letter appears in "System Hardware", and it says the driver is OK and the device is working properly. It even gives me the model number of the WD drive! Driver Agent even confirms that the driver is OK. ...

How to format Hard drive? [ 2 Answers ]

Yesterday I was rebooting my PC, I entered DOS Prompt and format my other partitions except C:, which was when formatted answer was that it is used by other programs. If somebody help me out?

How do I format my hard drive [ 6 Answers ]

I have installed at moment a version of windows xp pro and it is in german I have acquired a english version called winborg allin one and it tells me to format before inserting the disc but when I click on the hd it comes up in german telling me something about closing windows but I cannot...

View more questions Search