Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MOM2B2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:41 PM
    Custody rights
    I am 33 weeks pregnant and there is a possibility between 2 guys to be the father. I live in Alabama and Ive been trying to understand the laws, but I need help. I'm only 20 years old, and I should have never gotten pregnant because I'm not ready. Well, I was wondering, if I don't put a father on the birth certificate, can I go back and put one on there after the paternity test? Ive heard it takes a long time. And also, if it is one guys baby, which I think it might be and he has noot been a very good person, so I don't want to let him have a lot to do with the baby. What kind of visitation rights would he get? I don't plan on taking him to court for childsupport, so would he even have any? PLEASE write back. Thanks
    sevens61 Posts: 6, Reputation: 0

Apr 24, 2007, 12:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOM2B2007
    I am 33 weeks pregnant and there is a possibility between 2 guys to be the father. I live in Alabama and Ive been trying to understand the laws, but I need help. I'm only 20 years old, and I should have never gotten preg bc I'm not ready. Well, I was wondering, if I don't put a father on the birth certificate, can I go back and put one on there after the paternity test? Ive heard it takes a long time. And also, if it is one guys baby, which I think it might be and he has noot been a very good person, so I dont want to let him have a lot to do with the baby. what kind of visitation rights would he get? I dont plan on taking him to court for childsupport, so would he even have any? PLEASE write back. thanks
    The wrong guy is the right guy for his child so let him know
    MOM2B2007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 12:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by sevens61
    the wrong guy is the right guy for his child so let him know

What do you mean by this?
    AmIParanoid Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 06:24 AM
    If this "wrong guy" is doing things that could hurt you or the baby (drugs, abusive, neglect, etc.) then it is best to never put his name on the birth certificate. If you do a paternity test then here in FL the law is he will go on the birth certificate until he is proven to have his rights taken away. It does not give him any right to the child you/he would have to file a separate case for child support and visitation, BUT once his name is on there you give him that right. Not to say that he might file for paternity anyway but, I wouldn't instigate it if you don't think he is the right person. Just right the names of the guys down and any other info you can about them and later on you can give it to your child or if something with the child's health is questionable. Believe it or not there are few good guys out there that will take you and that baby in and care for you both. You need to get on your feet don't give up on your dreams... be happy with yourself and the baby and you both will meet someone who appreciates you both.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2007, 07:20 AM
    Ok, if you don't know who the father is, you can not legally just pick one from the list and say he is the father. What you have to do is let the baby be born, get DNA tests and find out which one is the father, so it takes some times, that is the only way to do it rigfht

After you know who the father is, you get the DNA tests, file child custody in court and get child support.

IF you named the wrong person on the birth certificate, you cost them a lot of money and cause them to really hate you if they are not the right person listed and the child is later found out not to be thirs, so because he is a good guy you are going to treat him wrong?
    AmIParanoid Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 08:17 AM
    [
    IF you named the wrong person on the birth certificate, you cost them a lot of money and cause them to really hate you if they are not the right person listed and the child is later found out not to be thirs, so because he is a good guy you are going to treat him wrong? [/QUOTE]

In FL if you and the father are not married you can not name him on the birth certificate unless he is present and he has to swear with 2 witnesses that he acknowledges he is accepting resposibility as the father of this child for sound, moral and financial, etc. until the child is 18. And both the mother and the father have to sigh the birth certificate. Or he can chose to test paternity.
    johnsgurl_20 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2007, 06:07 PM
    If you don't put him on the birth certificate u will have to get a dna test and they will make u get child support on the father. I'm going through the same thing trust me u will want to get child support on the father especially if you're not ready for a baby.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Custody Rights for Newborn [ 5 Answers ]

What are the general custody rights to a father of a newborn?

Relinquishing rights/custody [ 2 Answers ]

I am the single mother of a 14 year old boy who wants to relinquish my custody to my parents. I AM NOT looking to relinquish my legal responsibilities (I've perused previous messages). My son's father has never been involved in his life and never wanted him so it's been the two of us from day one...

Custody/moving rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am in process of divorcing wife. I have not lived with her for 6 months and money is only issue stopping divorce. I take my child and her child from a previous relationship every weekend. If I could take them more I would but I need to work 60 hours to meet my bills. We have nothing legally in...

Custody rights [ 4 Answers ]

I am married (for 12 years). My husband and I have a five year old daughter. The relationship has been a bit rock over the past few years for various reasons. I want to know where I stand if this ever did go down the divorce path, as far a custody is concerned. My husand and I agreed that one of...

View more questions Search