Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darwinistdesire Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 10:14 PM
    Where is the water going.Leak, meter?
    I received my bi-monthly water bill recently. It stated that I had used 15,000 gallons of water. I usually use 7-8,000 gallons. None of the fixtures are leaking, no water in the house, and no swampy areas of the lawn. With all fixtures in the off position and no water being intentionally used, I hear water flowing through the pipes. I turned off the water supply in the house and it stopped. So where is the water going. Is it being dumped in the sewer. Does the meter have a pressure valve that is malfunctioning. Is this a meter problem. Why is water flowing when I am not using it?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 10:17 PM
    I would suggest that you call the water company and ask them to come out and check the meter. It could be malfunctioning. Where I live, water meters are replaced about once every ten years.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 24, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Clough has a point. Get the meter checked. I had the same problem until they changed it out. Did you check the small pointer in the meter before and after you turned off the house stop?
    You ask,"With all fixtures in the off position and no water being intentionally used, I hear water flowing through the pipes. I turned off the water supply in the house and it stopped. So where is the water going?"
    Since you haven't told us I'm assuming that you're on a slab or that a portion of the system's under cement and that's where the water's going.
    Every indication is that your leak's inside the house so if the meter proves OK I would get a leak detector company such as Sleuth to come in and locate it. Good luck, Tom
    ThomasCKeat Posts: 157, Reputation: 12

Apr 24, 2007, 06:12 PM
    If your in a muti family dwelling better get someone to track your water lines and make sure only your apt. is on that meter? Came across this problem years ago as a lanlord was ripping offf his tennents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Faulty water meter [ 3 Answers ]

I work for a rural water office. We have a customer that had a meter reading of exactly 1,077,200 gallons usage. The 77,200 usage is not abnormal for his account. We have always been told that meters only register readings when water is forced through them. And they slow down as they get...

Faulty Water Meter? [ 12 Answers ]

I own a Condominium rentals unit that is occupied by a lady and her two kids. About 4 months ago the HOA installed individual water meters for each unit. The water bill for the complex is allocated by the water consumption of each unit. My bills have been running about $70/month compared to my home...

Sparks at the Water Meter [ 14 Answers ]

We had some plumbing work done today, which required the plumber to disconnect the water meter. As the plumber was re-connecting the meter, he noticed some sparking between the house-side pipe connection and the meter. What could cause this? Is it dangerous or will it cause problems such as pipe...

Water Meter Dial & Possible Leak [ 1 Answers ]

The dial on my water meter that detects water flow (I think this is how one detects a leak) normally moves in a counter clockwise direction when water is flowing from a sink etc. When water was not flowing, the dial would stop then creep slowly still in a counter clockwise direction. I suspected...

Sparks at the water meter [ 6 Answers ]

The previous (pretty old) thread on this subject didn't really answer the question, so: I just disconnected a ground wire that runs between my main breaker box and the cold water (copper) line. The disconnect was at the water line, and significant sparks fly every time I touch the ground wire...

View more questions Search