Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lfsxthnudie Posts: 26, Reputation: -2

Apr 23, 2007, 06:24 PM
    Should I tell them?
    I hate my current job. I mean HATE it. I am looking for a new job and have a few prospective leads. Here's the problem- I might be pregnant. I know that you can't not hire someone for being pregnant- but no one's stopping anyone from not hiring me for "other" supposed reasons. Do I tell prospective employers (if and when I confirm that I am), or do I keep my mouth shut until I'm hired and have to take a 12 week leave in january at the risk of pissing some people off? I really can't take one more year at my present job, we need the money so I have to work, and we need the insurance especially if we're going to have a baby! HELP!!! :eek:
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2007, 06:30 PM
    In Virginia we exist in a "right to hire" state which also means you can be fired and no reason has to be given.

You are right in that employers can't refuse to hire you or fire you because of your familial status, but I have read reports of women announcing to their managers that they are pregnant one week and let go the next. It isn't right, but it is almost impossible to prove.

Good luck
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Here in the US you are under no obligation to tell them, unles you require special accomidations to do the job because of it.

But you will not have worked long enough for the Federal Leave policy to cover you, so it is possible if you take off to long, you won't have a job when you come back.

Also if this is in the US, 12 weeks ? Are you expecting trouble with delivery? If this is a normal delivery most companies will be expecting you back in 6 weeks, 8 at the most unless there were problems.

If you have been at your current place of business for long enough, you will have a lot more rights to take a longer period off and keep your job.
    rowen97 Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 4, 2007, 05:45 PM
    2 years ago I was looking for employment at 4 months pregnant. Still at the point that a good black suit covered any signs of the growing belly. I got the job and it went on for weeks before they anyone had the nerve to ask me. 5 months later I took leave, 12 weeks paid leave, you are entitle by FMLA to 12 weeks but not guaranteed pay. When I called them about returning they said that they had downsized and no longer needed me. Since I hadn't quit I was eligible to collect unemployment while I found another job. Stick it out if you can and figure out what you are going to do while you are leave, you will have 12 weeks. They can't cancel your insurance or charge you for COBRA insurance while you are on FMLA leave.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search