Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    frcktastic Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 05:32 PM
    . To a young wannabe lawyer
    I want to be a divorce lawyer but everyone asks why and I don't know any answer

I really like law but don't know what to do with my life.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 05:39 PM
    Why do you even want to be a lawyer? What do you like about law? What do enjoy the most about law and the legal profession? Is it the promise of wealth? Fame? Defending the downtrodden? Keeping the right guy in jail or getting the wrong guy off a conviction?

What do you see in a divorce lawyer? Divorces can get so darn nasty - ugly and beings out the worst on both sides much of the time. Do you like getting into the nit and grit and possible dirt?

Depending on where you will practice, the lawyer needs to be the jack of all trades and be able to handle criminal, divorce, estate, family law, guardianships, etc. If you are fortunate enough to live where you can afford to specialize, good for you. It will take some years to get up that ladder. What are you prepared to study for, sacrifice for?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 09:09 PM
    Yes you need to ask yourself what you want as an attorney, while most make a good living, most are not the millionairs you see on TV,
    And you are going to have to go to 4 years of college and 3 years of law school, and then pass the bar ( and normally only 1/2 to 3/4 even pass it their first time) * or some never pass.

I have a good friend and I doubt he ever clears 40,000 a year, after he pays his office help, pays for his office and all of his costs of doing business. He is in a small town.

And divorce as noted is a hard one, even when you win, most likely the client will think they should have won more, so seldom will you have a happy client, and it is a tough area since the fights are nasy and tough.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need a lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I am being discriminated against by wv law courts etc.

Wannabe Me [ 2 Answers ]

Recently there has been someone on the internet acting like me and calling himself by my name. He chats to people on MSN Messenger and picks fights with people. These people come to me when they see me and are very mad at me. I try to tell them that it was not me but they just keep coming an I...

Would I be dumb to not get a lawyer? [ 2 Answers ]

Ok my wife filed for divorce.We are on talking terms.I went and retained a lawyer and got a big packet of papers to fill out like all our coumunity property and stuff.We have no kid's together. So now we are going to try to do this with a paralegal she talked to and to me it sounds like an OK...

View more questions Search