Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrdchiropractic Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 02:25 PM
    Grass looks like straw
    My grass has large patches of dried, dead-looking, straw-like growth. I read this may be fungus?? Or is this a type of grass which grows locally (Pitman, south NJ). Please e-mail to [email protected] if anyone has ideas!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 02:37 PM
    You lawn may have the following problem:

As quoted from Identifying lawn diseases

Brown Patch

Brown Patch is most common to Bermuda, Kentucky Bluegrass, Centipede Grass, Bent Grass, St. Augustine, and ryegrasses in regions with high humidity and/or shade. Brown patch commonly starts as a small spot and can quickly spread outwards in a circular or horseshoe pattern up to a couple of feet wide. Often times, while expanding outwards, the inside of the circle will recover, leaving the brown areas resembling a smoke-ring.

PREVENTION

The best prevention for brown patch is to aerate often, reduce shade to effected areas, and follow a fertilization schedule to help prevent fertilization with excess amounts of nitrogen

CHEMICAL TREATMENT

The most common fungicides used on Brown Patch are: benomyl, and chlorothalonil.
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Apr 23, 2007, 03:17 PM
    It's better if we communicate through the AskMe web site to allow others to see the answers.

However, I was going to ask you for a .jpg picture of the problem area so I could better analyze your problem. So, knowing your e-mail address and communicating this way was going to be necessary, anyway.

Send me the pic and I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, big round areas of straw-like grass that are all dead are not likely to be any form of fungus yet this year. Fungus normally does it's damage in the late Spring/early Summer or any time when you have a stretch of hot and wet weather. We haven't had that yet along the 40 degree parallel (Columbus, Pittsburg, Philadelphia and southern NJ).

What you may be looking at is big dead patches of annual crabgrass. Some crabgrass grows very heavy from the center outward, which would give you the circles.

Whether, I hope you have already applied your early Spring fertilizer with crabgrass preventer to keep crabgrass from germinating in the areas where you have dead grass. Apply it now if you have not already done so.

Get back to me with the pics and we'll go from there.

(This answer is being sent via e-mail as requested and is posted on the AskMe site.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grass [ 2 Answers ]

I bought a new house in December and my yard is full of weeds. How do I start growing grass?

At the last straw [ 3 Answers ]

I've received civil court papers to appear in court for my credit card debt. If I put in to file bankruptcy is it to late will they continue with any garnishment. Also do you need to have a certain amount of money in your bank account in order for any creditors to put a freeze on it.

Unruly Grass [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada. I have a problem with unruly grass... don't know how else to describe it. The unruly parts have coarser blades that the good areas. The unruly grass tends to flatten out / lie down and spread out from the centre where it appears to be a brownish color....

Grass like plant [ 1 Answers ]

My lawn has died and I am looking for a grass like plant which does not require watering but instead gets the moisture from the humid air. I live in south Florida and the plant/grass should grow a year round. It should also be able to handle direct sunlight staying green. Would you have any...

View more questions Search