Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cooljamie21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
    H1b and 1099-Misc
    I am currently on H1B working for a company in US. Now I think when you are on H1b you can only work on 40 hours a week and no more, at least on paper it should show that way.

Is it OK if you work more than 40 hours a week for same company but they pay you for 40 hrs on your paycheck and anything over is paid to you as a bonus for which they send 1099-Misc? Now 1099-misc is not taxed so at the end when you file it you have to pay for ssn and medicare tip, I was wondering is there any better way to handle this whole situation. My company will pay for me the hours I worked even if its more than 40/week but I want to make sure that I am not violating any immigration law.

Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
    It is my understanding that H-1B visa holders are to be paid under a W-2 and that ANY payment under Form 1099-MISC is not legal.

However, since I am NOT an attorney, I cannot advise you on this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-misc on h1b? [ 4 Answers ]

I am working on an H1B, and received a 1099-MISC from a direct-sales company of which I am a registered distributor. The 1099 income is reported as "non-employee compensation". When I file this in Schedule C, can I claim for the expenses that I incurred? Are there any restrictions for H1B? ...

1099-MISC and w2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Me and my wife both were on H1 last year. I had 2 W2s last year, and my wife was working as a contractor for the first 3 months last year and then she was on a W2 for the rest of the year. She got a 1099-MISC from the contractor for the first three months of last year. Could you tell me...

F1-->OPT(1099 Misc)-->H1B [ 3 Answers ]

Heloo Tax Expert, I was on F-1 visa as student from Jan 2005 - June 2005 OPT on F1 visa from July 2005 -->November 2005 H1-B in December 2005 for 1 month. I think I qualify as non resident alient and should fill out form 1040NR. Also am I qualified for both 5000+3200 deductions/exemptions? ...

View more questions Search