Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TedK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:54 AM
    B & S 14.5, Breather Tube Spitting Oil/gas
    I have a 38" Snapper yard cruiser rider with the B&S 14.5 HP engine. It has the ability to be stood on its butt to let you clean the desk and change blades. I did this Saturday to do both. I remembered to close the air vent to the gas tank. I forgot :eek: to close the shut off valve at the gas tank. The tank was near empty f from winter storage. So, it stood on end for about 20 minutes before being put back down. I finished servicing, filled with gas and turned the key. Started after 2 seconds of cranking :) . Moved to the yard, started the blades and got 10' and it died. It smelled like it had flooded. Well, I removed the air cleaner and saw a lot of gas pooled around the filter on the outside :confused: . It didn't go down the carb as the filter was screwed down.

The breather tube comes from the side of the engine and bends up and goes into the base of the air filter housing, outside the filter. Well, I turned the key and it started and after about 10 seconds, I had a gas/oil geyser spitting out of the breather tube. I shut it down quickly. My guess is that when standing on end, some gas leaked into the carb, back out the throat into the air filter and then worked its way down the breather tube into the engine.

Is this going to be a rebuild or can I change the oil, run it with no filter on (collecting what spits out) until it clears and then change the oil again, maybe twice? HELP!
    acicomp Posts: 81, Reputation: 9

Apr 23, 2007, 12:03 PM
    This is not a definitive answer, but I have noticed the same issue on a couple of other posts. According to the other posts, you should change the oil and run it for a while. Then change the oil again and it should be OK.
    newaukumdon Posts: 525, Reputation: 44

Apr 23, 2007, 11:03 PM
    The fuel actually travels into cylinder through intake and crankcase through oil return journal filling crankcase with gas.

Don

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman blowing oil out breather tube [ 4 Answers ]

Craftsman 6.0 HP Self propelled/Mulcher lawnmower. Model# 517.372500 After starting and cuting a couple of strips... oil starts to blow out the breather tube, white smoke starts to come out the other side of the mower, so I stop and reload oil. What is the problem and should I start looking for...

Oil blowing out Breather Tube [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman push lawn mower with a 5.5 hp engine. This spring it started blowing oil out of the breather tube. What can cause this? What do I need to check?

B&S 18.5HP Intek, oil/gas coming from fuel pump [ 5 Answers ]

Gas comes out of the screen on my fuel pump and the engine smokes like it's on FIRE when its under a heavy load. I replaced the fuel pump but this did not help. Someone suggested the crankcase vent might be stopped up, but I can't find a vent anywhere. The engine starts fine and idles without...

Volkwagen Jetta 2000 is spitting gas when I fill it up [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! Can anyone give me any solution how to prvent my volkswagen jetta spitting gas when I fill it up? Ever since it started happening, I also see the check engine light. I would like to have your opinion before spending whole lot of money figuring out what's wrong. I would appreciate it. Thx

Copper Tube for gas & water in attic [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Tom :) My house was built in 1963 and all the water and gas plumbing pipes/tubes are copper. I have had no trouble in the 36 yrs I lived here, other then the AC drain pan getting plugged with some pieces of insulation once, but that has a pvc pipe. My question: What kind of trouble (if...

View more questions Search