Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    falcon13west Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 11:23 AM
    Charged off credit card
    My husband has been summoned to what is either a pre hearing or mediation for a master card that shows on his credit report that it is charged off. The letter also show that had reach some sort of mediation in August of 2007. We have no knowledge. We want to know how to proceed and do we need a lawyer? Thanks
    jphicks Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 10:29 AM
    These “mediations” are a scam set up by the credit card companies and are no more a ‘mediation’ than calling a third party debt collector and asking if they would like money from you. It is an attempt to continue to document your “debt”.

It has been experience that the “mediation” and the creditor need a debt validation letter sent to them by you via certified mail. In this letter, you are in effect asking them to prove the existence of this alleged debt and document within legal standards the incurrence of this debt with a signed and dated instrument executed by you. The catch is that none exists.

If you want a validation letter let me know and I will email you one.

Pat Hicks
    Home
    [email protected]
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 25, 2007, 10:35 AM
    Mediations are usually set up by the court, they will or should send you a notice. Don't agree to anything until they produce the original contract you signed. No contract, no claim
    jphicks Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 10:58 AM
    Sometimes they are set up by the courts. Mediation is now a new tactic, especially used by Citibank and is not set up by the courts but is "allowed" according to the terms of the user agreement. It is non binding, however.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Working with a credit agency on a charged off debt I thought was settled [ 1 Answers ]

Years ago, three days after my ex and I filed for divorce, I received a small credit card for $300. I paid it regularly and on time until they hit me with an "annual fee" that I thought was a "one time start up fee". It threw the card over the limit, they slapped over the limit fees on that,...

No credit. Need suggestions for selecting a credit card with low APR [ 2 Answers ]

Hai, I don't possess a credit card till now. I am planning to buy a car by applying loan. My friends advised me that if I pay my loan premium using a credit card, it would help building my credit history. They also told me to look for 0% APR (any such offer for the first year) or less APR to...

My credit account was charged 1 year after my purchase. [ 2 Answers ]

I made a purchase at a major online retailer in January 2006 for $469. The charge didn't appear on my account until just last month, February 2007 (13 months late). Can the retailer or credit card issuer do this? Isn't there a limit to how long they can wait after delivering the merchandise to...

Need to Settle Charged off credit card. [ 3 Answers ]

Ok a little about my situation, I once upon a time had a visa credit card with Providian National Bank, But due to some unforeseen circumstances I could not pay the card payments. I had to choose between the credit card payment and my home so I neglected the visa payments. This is something...

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

View more questions Search