Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    james journeyman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 10:41 AM
    3way switches and motion sensor combination wireing
    I would like to know how to wire up two 3way switches and motion sensor combined. Sequence of operation is as follows; when you walk in room motion sensor detects motion turns the lights on but you can also control the same flouresant lights by using the 3way toggle swithes so you basically have two opptions to control these lights. I have twisted my hair out and it is frustrating because I am sure it is easy to install please reply asap thank you for your time james
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by james journeyman
    i would like to know how to wire up two 3way switches and motion sensor combined. sequence of operation is as follows; when you walk in room motion sensor detects motion turns the lights on but you can also control the same flouresant lights by using the 3way toggle swithes so you basicly have two opptions to control these lights. i have twisted my hair out and it is frustrating because i am sure it is easy to install please reply asap thank you for your time james
    I'm not sure I understand how you want this to work... if you walk in the room, you want the light to come on automatically, but then you want to be able to turn the light off manually, correct? If these were 3-ways wouldn't the light come on again as soon as it senses your movement again? Or do you want it to stay off indefinitely, until you flip the manual switch again? If so, you could simply wire the motion sensor switch in series with an on/off switch.
    suzzie1973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2009, 07:43 AM
    How to wire 3 way switches with motion sensors
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2009, 01:29 PM

You need to have the 3 way switching first, AND where the motion is, it needs to have a constant hot to power the motion, then have the output connect to the 3 way switchleg, the 3 way and the motion MUST be on same circuit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wiring Leviton 3 way motion sensor switches [ 17 Answers ]

Have done a search and found another post with the same question, but no info on the reslution of the problem. I put in a stairwell to the basement with a landing and 90 deg turn. I have installed a light fixture above the landing to light the stair well and want to control it with motion...

Disable a Motion Sensor on 3way Switches [ 2 Answers ]

I'm ready to "throw in the towel" on my outdoor floodlight, motion sensor operated by three-way switches. Most of the time the driveway just stays in the dark because the two different motion sensors I've tried are complicated to figure out on a 3-way switch. So I simply want to by-pass the...

Ceiling fan w/ 3way switches for light and 1 way for fan [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling fan that has 3 switches that control the light and 1 that controls the fan. I have 4 wires coming into the box for the fan (black, red, white and grnd). The new ceiling fan has a remote that has to 2 lead wires that are supposed to be connected to the source and 4 (2 for...

Wiring 3 way motion sensor switches [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I have 2 3-way motion sensor switches I want to install in my garage. There currently are two 3-way switches on different walls. The setup is different from another thread I was reading on this site.. . In my case the power (2 wire w/ground) goes to the light, and each of the switches...

3way or 4 way switches? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in an old 3 decker that was recently rehab'ed and turned into condo's. There is a main stair way that runs up to serve the second and third floors. On each floor (main, 2nd, third) there is a light switch that when turned on, will turn on a hallway light on each floor. We want to...

View more questions Search