Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    N0223C Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Do video cards wear out?
    I bought a GeForce FX5200 card about a year ago for gaming. I had to stick with PCI due to my motherboard and heard this card was good. Initially I got about 35+ FPS with medium visual quality settings. Now I get about 12 FPS at the lowest settings. What could be the cause of this? Should I buy a new video card?
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Apr 23, 2007, 09:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0223C
    I bought a GeForce FX5200 card about a year ago for gaming. I had to stick with PCI due to my motherboard and heard this card was good. Initially I got about 35+ FPS with medium visual quality settings. Now I get about 12 FPS at the lowest settings. What could be the cause of this? Should I buy a new video card?
    If your motherboard only takes a PCI videocard I think you are well past due for a new system. I know you probably don't want to spend the money on a new system but it is going to be much cheaper to do it now than to keep upgrading the system part by part. I sold computers for five years for a IT company, it was so frustrating to see people pour money into their out of date systems and then just continually keep coming back because it was still slow or they just weren't happy. Just my opinion though.

Apr 23, 2007, 10:11 AM
    I'm a junior in high school, and I intend to buy a laptop for my senior year and going into college. I can't just buy a whole new desktop right now. I'm just wondering if there is rationality for why my video card is slowing down.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 23, 2007, 12:55 PM
    Sounds like a case of Windoze Cludge.
    This is windoze filling up with crud over time and slowing down noticeably.

You have a few options that may help:

When was the last time you did some serious system maintenance on your machine ?
    Here's my usual C&P for cases like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben's maintenance tips
    When was the last time you did some serious maintenance on your system ?

System maintenance includes:
    Defrag
    FULL patching
    Virus scanning
    Spyware scanning
    removal of rubish files

Defrag is an inbuilt function in XP.
    Open My Computer > Right click C: > Tools Tab and its there.

To make sure everything is running fine run both anti virus and anti spyware apps in normal AND safe modes. (make sure that they are updated first ! ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Just a note: actively running two AV's on one machine can cause problems.
    So if you are thinking about it make sure your current one is disabled first.
    Same thing applies to online scanners as well.

Removal of junk files is easy with CCleaner a free app that does exactly what

If all this fails then a repair install may be in order:

Here's the official Micro$oft way of doing it,
    and Here's one with screen shots.

Basically this installs windows over the top of your current setup.
    So you don't loose any information you already have.
    This lot should resolve your issue.

Failing that and probably the best course of action would be a COMPLETE rebuild from FULL format.

Apr 23, 2007, 02:29 PM
    Formatting my hard-drive might solve the issue? With a little searching I think I can find all the install disks and components that go along with my "System Restore" feature on my computer. Would you suggest that to possibly enhance my video card's efficiency?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 23, 2007, 02:33 PM
    It will reset your machine to factory settings, so NO cludge.
    Will help a great deal.
    mobius_thought Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I have personally never had a video card go bad. Surely it's possible, I would think... but, for example, my server, for at least a year, has had this $5 low-profile generic Geforce 4 card. It's not even a low profile case, but for that price, I decided I'd just bend back the little tab. :)

Reinstalling should solve it.

But if you want to make sure, I recommend downloading a linux livedisk and booting off that. That way, you can see what your card would be doing without the old clogged up Windoze.

I think for checking graphics, either the Knoppix Games disk or the PCLinuxOS SuperGamer (If you have NVidea chipset, geforce 4 or later) would give you a good idea of what to expect, although they ARE both DVD images.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What and how to wear? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm turning 18 next week and I'd like to wear a dress but my problem is that I have really big hips as that's gentetic in my family and I have a belly too, what dress styles and colurs would go with my figure without drawing too much attention to my stomach and hips? Write back Thank you...

Ripping DVD Video to VCD Video [ 1 Answers ]

How can I rip my DVD video to VCD Video files. Is there out any freeware to do this. Please let me know the link for that. Thanx:rolleyes:

Graphic Video Cards [ 1 Answers ]

I have a MDG Pentium4 Vision 4000 tv/computer. It has 512 ram and a 160g hard drive. I have tried to play PC games such as, Indiana Jones and Lord of the Rings and could not install them on my system. I cannot afford an expensive graphics card, but I want a card that will at least play all the...

View more questions Search