Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Watashi_ai18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 07:59 AM
    What would be more successful?
    If you were to open up a clothing store would you base your products on what you like or what a certain group of people like?
    wags Posts: 80, Reputation: 4

Apr 23, 2007, 09:13 PM
    You are kidding me,, right? Who is your customer? What are the demographics of the neighborhood? What is the income level of your customers? You need to do a lot of research before you can decide what products to carry, unless you plan on purchasing most of the clothing for yourself. You need to carry products your CUSTOMERS want.. now. That said, what you like may be what your customers like. If you're a collage student in a college town, then I would assume your customers likes would be similar to your likes. If you're a young person in an area of older folks, you need to carry what they want. You may want to check out www.sba.gov for some advice on opening a store.
    You may even want to work in a clothing store for a year or two to "learn" the business. Retail is a hard business,. ask yourself, why would someone shop at your store, rather than one of the large retailers? How are you going to get people to come into your store, how are you going to advertise? Lots to research before you open. One of the main points to research is LOCATION< LOCATION, LOCATION.. MOST important in a retail establishment.
    To make that point, when I opened my first store, I had the choice of two new strip centers. Across the street from each other. One was less per month, but the other was in a "better city'. I knew that people from City A (the "better one) would not shop in city B, but the folks in City B would shop in City A. I opened in City A and I was 100% correct, and only because I lived in city A. I knew that the location, even across the street, was most important.
    Good Luck !
    insummer Posts: 15, Reputation: 2

May 17, 2007, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Watashi_ai18
    If you were to open up a clothing store would you base your products on what you like or what a certain group of people like?
    Both. There is no point trying to sell something you don't like yourself. You have to have passion to run any business and if you love your product that shines through. But at the same time - people will not purchase something they don't like. My advice is market research, passion and always have a plan b.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s TV BBC2 young successful man who slept in a box? [ 1 Answers ]

80s TV Or could be early 90s The series was on BBC2 about a young successful man who slept in a box? By day he was a successful young , but a bit of a jack the lad with the ladies. Thought nothing about breaking the law to get his own way and get on in his life. At night he would go home to his...

Does Okinawan Tea really reduce your belly fats?is it successful? [ 1 Answers ]

does Okinawan Tea really reduce your belly fats?is it successful?:o

Marrige will be successful [ 7 Answers ]

By what age I will get married and how would be my post marriage life?

Me more successful than my husband [ 2 Answers ]

I am working as an AVP of a call center and my husband is working as a manager in an export house I am more exposed than him... and at times it becomes frustrating to handle the pressure... although he is a very loving and caring husband... but at times I feel that he is drifted away from me and...

Successful Marriage [ 1 Answers ]

Successful Marriage A couple had been married for 45 years and had raised a brood of 11 children and were blessed with 22 grandchildren. When asked the secret for staying together all that time, the wife replies, "Many years ago we made a promise to each other: the first one to pack up and...

View more questions Search