Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MilitaryMan19D30 Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Apr 23, 2007, 06:29 AM
    Corn into Ethanol Fuel
    Who is buying up the corn to convert it into ethanol fuel? This may sound like a 3rd grade question but I read an article in the newspaper that mentioned corn sells going up because of the ethanol fuel surge.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 23, 2007, 06:37 AM
    Some of the plants may be buying directly from the local farmers. In other cases I am sure it is going from the grain elevators to the established grain brokers and traders. I am sure the big ones like ADM are heavily involved.
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Apr 23, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Check out this list of fuel-alcohol production plants. The listed group produces between 1.5 and 2 (maybe more) billion gallons of ethanol for fuel each year.

I helped design the Tate & Lyle plant in Loudon TN. This plant also produces high fructose corn syrup. Between the two products, unless the plant has been expanded, the plant consumes 800 acres of corn every day, most of it going to the HFCS, which in turn goes into non-diet soda ("pop" for some of you readers) and a lot of baked goods and prepared foods.

I have relatives who operate grain elevators. The local fuel ethanol plants are buying up all the corn that nearby elevators can supply. Some of the big producers build their own elevators and contract with local farmers... they also have their own people who buy corn futures.
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 23, 2007, 02:39 PM
    Sad funny part is -- from what I read a few years ago -- hemp would produce more fuel per acre.
    -- Savage
    Edit -- a bit of interesting history I just found
    The Car Grown From the Soil. . .
    MilitaryMan19D30 Posts: 29, Reputation: 5

Apr 24, 2007, 08:04 AM
    Is this the next big market? I know ethanol fuel has been around for awhile but is the demand catching up?
    dMacII Posts: 17, Reputation: 4

Apr 24, 2007, 12:05 PM
    Big market for corn? - probably "yes", for the short term (10-15 years).

Big market for investing? - may be a good investment for a co-op or for someone investing in a fuel-ethanol plant... as long as the feds keep subsidizing fuel ethanol; and as long as the feds keep out imported EtOH (ethanol) made from sugar cane (mostly from Brazil). The sugar cane process is much more efficient, so the fuel EtOH from it is less expensive. I think the present tax on imported fuel EtOH is $0.33/gal.

Also, Ethanol provides less actual burnable fuel per gallon compared to gasoline... and it really is not better for the environment. So it will only be a matter of time till EtOH goes out of favor and is replaced with gasoline (but more efficiently burned than in today's engines) or electric power or some other form of energy.

If you invest in some way in fuel EtOH or in corn or corn futures, you better continuously watch closely which way the political wind is blowing.
    v-star Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Apr 24, 2007, 01:18 PM
    I work for one of the largest ethanol Company's in Canada, So why would you want to know about corn and the ethanol ?
    TheSavage Posts: 564, Reputation: 96

Apr 24, 2007, 05:26 PM
    Still doing a bit of reading on this and stumbled across this Capitol Hill Blue - Another Broken Bush Promise as President Screws American Farmers

Good to know that the whitehouse is looking out for the small farms. {not} -- Savage

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fuel smell, Fuel tank leak [ 7 Answers ]

We had a fuel tank leak, how do I get the smell out of our boat? What do you know about a aluminum tank leaking? We have a 1988 Bayliner 34' the tank is located under the back bed, she holds 200 gal, we don't know where the leak is on the tank. We have been told it will be costly to repair, I have...

Fuel injecter or fuel pressure regulator ? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1996 gmc sonoma (zr2 package) with a 4.3 motor (engine code W). I sometimes have problems getting it started, when the motor is warm it starts without any problem, but when it is cold I have a hard time getting it started, if I put gas or starting fluid down the throttle body it starts...

Too Much Fuel [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My Nissan Sunny B15 burns too much fuel. What can cause this problem? Thanks Ron

Fuel $$$ [ 12 Answers ]

How much is a litre of gas where you are? Our prices are continually on the rise so I'm just curious as to what everyone else is paying.

Ethanol [ 1 Answers ]

How many therms or BTUs of natural gas goes it take to produce one gallon of ethanol from corn?

View more questions Search