Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thassiana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 10:25 PM
    How do I give up all parental rights
    OK I'm a father, but I'm getting divorced my ex wants me to pay child support but I don't have the money to give I heard that I can sgin a paper giving up all rlghts to my 2 year old child and I won't have to pay child support how do I go about doing that?? Help
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 23, 2007, 11:37 PM
    I think that that is something you and your wife would have to agree on together. The court isn't going to allow it if is just you trying to get out of paying -even if you think you can't afford it.
    beebop Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Apr 26, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Legally you can give up all rights, in some states, without an adoptive father.
    Though, you do realize that by giving up all rights you have no custody of the child and you have absolutely no legal right to see your child? If you feel that's okay, I can see why you are getting divorced.
    Anayden Posts: 67, Reputation: 19

Apr 27, 2007, 12:04 AM
    I agree with beebop. If she don't want you to see your kid you won't. Do you want that? What kind of father would you be if you did that to that poor child. You know that most of the people in jail say that if only they had a father in their life things might have been different? Do you want that for your kid? How could you? Try working things out with the mom on how much you will pay every month. If you can't afford it you should have thought about that before you had kids. You laid down with your wife, why should she be the only one paying for your kid until they get 18? THAT Isn't FAIR! How could you ever think like that, I think that that is just showing your character as a man and father and I can tell you that from my perspective it doesn't look good.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2007, 08:29 AM
    I don't know who you were talking to, or who told you that, but it is wrong, You will always have to pay child support on your children unless she remarries and someone adopts.

You can give up the rights for visitation and the rights to see the kids, but you can not merely give up your legal obligation to pay child support.

Even if you and her agree and don't go to court on it, if she ever has to get any public assistance, the state will then enforce chlld support on you to pay them back.

So expect to pay the state required amount for child support no matter what you do

Would there actually be men sitting in jail for not paying support if they could just "sign" it away.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Apr 27, 2007, 02:41 PM
    After being that child's father for two years, you want to give that up over money? Give me a break and be a MAN! For goodness sakes, listen to the people who are posting, stay in that babies life and help her get through all of those tough years. Poor baby, how would youfeel if your daddy didn't want you? Money, money, money. How selfish is that. I might be able to understand this if I were an alien.
    kanicky73 Posts: 484, Reputation: 63

Apr 27, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Fr_chuck is right. The courts will not just let you sign your rights away to avoid paying. The only way in the state of WI to be able to sign away rights and not pay child support is if you neglected your child for two full years. Meaning no contact whatsoever, no money paid, no contact at all. At that time the child's mother could petition the court to have your parental rights taken away. This is for extreme cases where the father has never been in the child's life, because he walked away while the mom was pregnant. You on the other hand have been there for it all, don't be a jerk, work something out.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

May 1, 2007, 01:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thassiana
    ok i'm a father, but i'm getting divorced my ex wants me to pay child support but i don't have the money to give i heard that i can sgin a paper giving up all rlghts to my 2 year old child and i won't have to pay child support how do i go about doing that????? help
    Hi!You can sign a papper giving up all rights to your 2 year old child when you like... but you cannot avoid your support obligation.The only way is your child to be adopted by another man.What is the meaning of "I don't have money to give..."-the court will impose you to pay child support on base your income.It does not matter how much money she likes.
    MicheleEB Posts: 58, Reputation: 4

May 5, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thassiana
    ok i'm a father, but i'm getting divorced my ex wants me to pay child support but i don't have the money to give i heard that i can sgin a paper giving up all rlghts to my 2 year old child and i won't have to pay child support how do i go about doing that????? help

Wow are you serious?? After what I have been through I know the frustration, but believe me it's a big deal, its not like buying a cup of coffee. :eek:
    Mama Bear Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2007, 01:23 AM
    How do you think your child will feel when they are old enough to understand what you did over money? To think that your own father sold out over child support payments would be devastating. Think this through - you may not realise it now, but you have an important place in your child's life whether you in any kind of a relationship with the mother or not. I work with children and many are from split families, if you think for a minute that kids forget about their dads just because they don't live with them or even see them, think again. Children's hearts and souls are forever scared by these kinds of actions.
    wonderwoman2007 Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

May 13, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Hahaha, you're such a !
    A woman, and most reasonable men would think 'okay, this is my child, ill make the money so it has a reasonable upbringing'
    I don't even have an answer sorry, but I'm just going to say:
    Your ex and child are a hell of a lot better without you!
    mcdonalds737 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2009, 01:25 PM
    Why don't everyone in here give the guy a break!! I am a father of three children and know how it is not to make the money to meet the child support payments. My child support has ruined my life. Don't get me wrong I love my kids and am still paying child support but I also am living out of my car because these so called standards they have are very unreasonable. Because of my child support payments that keep going up no matter how much I make I can not even afford a roof over my own head or food everyday. Also how is it right or fair for a women to be able to just give up a child and get out of child support and not let a man be able to do the same thing. It is very sexist. Think about what you are saying and put yourself in his shoes and walk a mile before you judge him. He was just asking a question. And as far as signing up all of the parental rights without paying child support - some of you were right - your would still have to pay current support until some other man adopts the child and then you still would have to pay back support.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do you give up parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

The biological father of my sisters son wants to give up all rights. This is also what She wants because he has had nothing to do with his son since he has been born. She doesn't want no child support from him. Is there certain things she has to do to Start the procedure. For example, do they...

Should I give up my parental rights? [ 3 Answers ]

Well here is the thing I have a child with my ex-girlfriend and she has not allowed me to see my daughter in over a year. Now that doesn't mean that I haven't wanted to see her its just that I just now found out that she is back in town after moving out of state over a year ago against court...

Wanting to give up parental rights [ 14 Answers ]

My friend is going through a nasty divorce. His kids are not wanting to speak to him and his wife is making his life hell. He's fought for 3 years to get his kids and the kids don't want anything to do with him. He is near a mental break down and is just wanting to give up and have everything...

Give up my parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

Hi my name is paul and I have a problem. Me and my ex girlfriend have a son together. My son will be 2 years old dec. 27 and I have not seen him since he was 8 months old. The mother has taken me for child support. I never received a court notice to go to court so it ended up in a default...

Give up parental rights [ 7 Answers ]

My mother has requested that I give up my rights to my children but she keeps stalling how can I get things going? Don't we both just have to sign some papers since we both agree it shouldn't be that hard. Right?

View more questions Search