Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kdiaz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 06:15 PM
    Discolored Hot Water
    I am hoping someone can help...

My hot water is a light yellow dinge color. Not very noticeable and you can only notice it when you fill a glass up with hot water and set it next to a glass filled with cold water. We recently converted from an electric water heater to a gas water heater in January. We never had a problem with the electric water heater and the heater was in the house for over 10 years. How do we fix this problem? I have also noticed gray streaking in my white laundry. Do you think this has to do with the new water heater? Please help...
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2005, 09:10 PM
    What kind of supply pipes do you have? Copper? Galvanized? How is your hot water heater hooked up in terms of what kind of material (water in/water out) connects to the tank?

Tom
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2005, 09:12 PM
    Sorry,
    Also... how old is your clothes washer and do you use a lot of fabric softner?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Discolored Hot Water
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiaz
    I am hoping someone can help...

My hot water is a light yellow dinge color. Not very noticable and you can only notice it when you fill a glass up with hot water and set it next to a glass filled with cold water. We recently converted from an electric water heater to a gas water heater in January. We never had a problem with the electric water heater and the heater was in the house for over 10 years. How do we fix this problem? I have also noticed gray streaking in my white laundry. Do you think this has to do with the new water heater? Please help...
    Pump or city water? What kind of pipes do you have? Have you flushed the heater to check for mineral content? Sometimes in replacing a water heater the pipes are disturbed and minerals that have built up on the pipe walls flake off and into your system. I don't believe the heater's at fault, but I do believe the installation of the heater is at the root of your problem.
    Get back to me with the answers. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Soggy subfloor and discolored linoleum near shower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fiberglass bottom shower with marble sheets for walls and a glass sliding doors. I have noticed the linoleum is disclored and soggy underneath but only in the corners near the front of the shower were you step in. I have recaulked the whole shower with a good silicone and also in the...

Discolored tooth [ 6 Answers ]

I have a discolored tooth that my dentist says has been caused by nerve damage. Is it possible to reverse the discoloration? Also, I rinse my mouth with baking soda. Could that have caused the discoloration? Is there any danger in rinsing my mouth with baking soda?

View more questions Search