Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xntrix187 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 04:33 PM
    Linux. 2003 Server & XP
    Hey guys/gals. I have a question the issue I'm having is this. I want to have 3 OS's on 2 hard drives

I currently have:
    XP Pro on my 80Gig - Master
    2K3 Server & Linux on my 40Gig - Slave

I want to know how I can setup a boot system that will let me chose which OS I desire, I have tried to edit the boot.ini file but to avail. :( . So I'm hoping someone here can help me out, I can always format my 80 to 3 partitions but I would prefer to steer clear of that avenue.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 23, 2005, 09:46 PM
    You can set up GRUB in linux to do this.

The configuration file for GRUB should be /boot/grub/menu.lst, but some redhat-based installs will set it in /etc/grub.conf

Here is an example:

Code:
    timeout 5
    default 0

title Linux Slackware-current (linux 2.6.11)
    root(hd0,5)
    kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.11 root=/dev/hda6 ro

# windows
    title windows
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2005, 06:42 AM
    System Commander (www.v-com.com) is generally considered the best multi-OS boot manager from what I've read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Server 2003 Share Access [ 9 Answers ]

I am in the process of upgrading a peer to peer windows xp network environment to a windows server 2003 domain. My clients have windows xp pro with a third party program installed for point of sale and accounts receivable management. The program requires access to a network share folder housing the...

Information Store Crashes Server 2003 [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Microsoft Server 2003 machine that will, for no apparent reason, crash when it reaches the Information Store during a backup. Unfortunately it will not do it every time, only sometimes if it is left to backup overnight. The whole computer will just lock up. There are no error messages...

Win server 2003: unique problem [ 6 Answers ]

One morning, I cannot log on to the domain. All clients cannot logon. Netlogon is not working so I cannot use mapped drives. I cannot run tool like DCdiag. Event viewer - Event ID 13516 - FRS (File replication service) is no longer preventing the computer... from becoming a domain controller. ...

Setup Server 2003 to share internet connection [ 4 Answers ]

I just recently installed Windows Server 2003 and I'm trying to get another computer to connect to the internet through the server. The server is hooked up to a router currently and I have installed the 2nd NIC to hook up the other computer. What steps do I need to go through to start getting...

Setting up Windows Server 2003 [ 6 Answers ]

Okay I have a few questions. First is my Cable ISP gives me a Dynamic IP Address. But I would like to set up a home net work with Windows 2003 server. I would like to physically set it up this way. Modem to Router with DHCP turned off on the router, then router to server with DHCP, then...

View more questions Search