Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 04:20 PM
    Toilet not flushing
    My toilet has stopped flushing. The water is in the cistern and if I push the ball down the water fills up. It feels like there s no pressure when I push the handle. I have no plumbing knowledge at all so could you tel me what is causing this and how I can fix it without calling a plumber if possible please. Thanks :(
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2005, 09:07 PM
    The insides vary quite a bit from one toilet to the next. In most cases the handle has an arm with a chain, rod, or strap running from it to a flap or ball in the bottom of the toilet. Something must be broken. Pull the lid off and look inside and try to figure out what was connected to what. Remove what you think is the broken part and take it to a hardware store. Note what the other pieces look like. Try to match up your broken part to the new parts. I fixed a toilet with that problem this morning. Took about 5 minutes to clip a new flap on to the pivots on the vertical tube, and hook the chain to the arm. I had picked up the part I needed the other day.
    kaggy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2005, 03:17 PM
    Thanks for the advice we will let you know what we find.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet not flushing properly [ 11 Answers ]

One of my upstairs toilets is now flushing differently. When I flush, the water in the bowl rises until it nearly overflows, then it begins draining. However, it does not stop draining until the bowl is almost empty, well below the normal water level. The water level rising in the bowl indicates...

Tub Gurgles When Flushing Toilet [ 16 Answers ]

Please Help!! My wife and I recently purchase our firt home (a condo actually). We are on the top floor (4 floors). Since moving in our tub drain has gurgled when we flush our toilet. We have notified our strata management compnay who have tried to both snake the stack vent on the roof as well...

Toilet not flushing properly [ 20 Answers ]

My toilet just started filling up and very slowly draning until most of the water's gone, but it's not flushing the waste down with it. I've tried 3 times now. The tank empties and refills, the bowl fills up almost to the point of overflow and then VERY slowly drains. No flushing is happening....

Toilet burps after flushing? [ 2 Answers ]

After the toilet in the basement has been flushed it burps air like there is an air pocket stuck and it can't realease until it has been refiled?

Toilet not flushing properly [ 4 Answers ]

Hello- We just bought a house, and we are having problems with our toilet flushing. When pushing the handle down, it begins the flushing process, but the second you let it go it stops. So we have to hold the handle down until the flushing part is over then we can let go & the toilet fills. ...

View more questions Search