Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DenverGals Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 05:19 PM
    Temporary Custody of Niece
    My 12 year old niece has a variety of emotional and behavioral problems. My sister has agreed to let me have my niece for the summer.

My question is, do I need to get legal temporary custody of her to have her for the two months during the summer? Especially with her medical issues (counseling, seeing a psychitrist, prescriptions? I am assuming that if I get legal temporary custody that I will be able to get her on my health insurance here. Does obtaining legal temporary custody involve court and lawyers or can we just have something notarized giving me temporary custody and medical power of attorney?

Thank you for your input! :confused:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 05:45 PM
    Yes temp legal custody means having to go to court. They can give you power of attorney to act on their behalf, but that would not get you on their insurance.
    noahangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 12:54 PM
    I would say yes. When I was a child I stayed with friends of the family for the summer and was hurt in a car accident. The hospital would not treat me until my mother arrived after a 2 hour drive. So just to be on the safe side I would file for guardianship instead of temp custody so you canmake any needed medical decisions.
    noahangel Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2008, 12:55 PM
    By the way all they had to do was write out a letter granting her guardianship and have it notorized.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2008, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by noahangel
    By the way all they had to do was write out a letter granting her guardianship and have it notorized.

You answered a question from April 2007 - that being said if you have custody/control of a child for a period all you need is a notarized authorization from the parent allowing you to provide medical treatment, access to records, etc. for the child.

You do not need formal custody. My neighbor has a foster child, nothing official, agreement with the parents, and she has an authorization to also cover school matters and events.

I get a signed authorization to cover when I have my nieces and nephews, even for a weekend.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to get custody of my 5 year-old Niece [ 4 Answers ]

I have a niece (my brother's child). She lives in Miami with her mother and my brother lives in Boston (moved there 7 months ago). I pick my niece up at least twice a month and I keep her for the weekend. Is not that my brother is unfit, he just doesn't have the brains to care for a child. He...

How to go about retaining temporary custody of my four year old niece. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am A 30 year old married mother of three wonderful if not fun children. My sister has A beautiful ,sweet and very talkative four year old. For the last two years I have seen my beautiful 22 year old sister destroy her life with drugs. It started with her drinking A whole heck of A lot and...

Want custody of my niece [ 1 Answers ]

About 12 years ago my brother in-law and his wife got divorced and gave up custody of there 2 kids. The younger one lived with a great uncle and his wife. They recently got divorced and she now lives with the woman. She is no blood relation. The little girl has rotten teeth and her head has...

Want custody of my niece... [ 6 Answers ]

I want to take custody of my niece but I'm not sure where to turn. She is three years old and has already lived through more stuff than I have. My brother is in a bad situation and she is not being taken care of. I would like to approach him with this but I want to know the facts first. I also know...

View more questions Search