Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    -radioactive- Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Apr 22, 2007, 05:13 PM
    I Need To Know If I Can Do This
    I left my mother's house in January, because I had enough of her bull. It is now April and she refuses to give back any of my stuff (clothes mostly). Can I get a warrant for my stuff back/charge her with theft if she refuses to give me back what's rightfully mine? Because even though she is my mother, she does not have custody of me any more, which means she cannot refuse me the right to what i own. And I really want my stuff back.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 06:00 PM
    I can understand you wanting your possessions. You want to do this legally, even though those things are yours - they are in your Mother's home. Call your local sheriff and explain what is going on. You can get good advice on what to do from him. You may want to send your Mother a written notice that you will be there at such and such a day to retrieve your belongings and that there will be a sheriff or sheriff's deputy or a police officer with you.

Having one of those people with you insures a couple of things - that you get what all is yours, that there are no altercations, that your Mom cannot come back and accuse you of stealing or anything else illegal. You need to cover your a** as the saying goes. If you do send her a letter, send it certified - she has to sign for it and you get a receipt that she picked the letter up. Also, keep a copy for yourself.

Be calm, direct, and matter of fact when dealing with her. Keep your emotions in check. Make a list of everything you want to recover. If you feel you need further assistance than law enforcement, call an attorney - usually the first consult is a freebie.

Good luck. I went through that when I moved out of my parent's home. My Mother did not allow me to take anything but the clothes on my back and my purse. That actually was a blessing - it was all stuff anyway and all replaceable and not worth the trip back home.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Apr 22, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Just curious... in the eyes of the law, who does the "stuff" belong to? Assume that mom's the one that paid for it, but the child is the one who uses it. And does it depend on what the item is? For example, I have an easier time seeing the kid being the legal owner of clothes bought for him than I do something like a computer that the parents paid for. But that's just a layman's thought. Not sure what the law says about it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 06:36 PM
    As froggy mentioned you did not say how old you are, and who paid for the "stuff" and what type of stuff it is.
    And you mention custody, does someone else have custody ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search