Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2024, 04:54 PM
    Houston we have a problem
    'My City Was Gone' is a song that was on the flip side of 'The Pretenders ' more successful single hit 'Back on the Chain Gang' . Most people who listen to the song notice that the musical riffs were borrowed by Rush Limbaugh for his show intro.

But the song itself could be a symbol for the dying urban centers of America that are governed by Democrats
    I went back to Ohio
    But my city was gone
    There was no train station
    There was no downtown

South Howard had disappeared
    All my favorite places
    My city had been pulled down
    Reduced to parking spaces
    Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio

Well, I went back to Ohio
    But my family was gone
    I stood on the back porch
    There was nobody home

I was stunned and amazed
    My childhood memories
    Slowly swirled past
    Like the wind through the trees
    Ay, oh, way to go, Ohio

I went back to Ohio
    But my pretty countryside
    Had been paved down the middle
    By a government that had no pride

Pretenders-My City Was Gone (1984) HD (youtube.com)

I recalled it today when reading a report about the city of Houston Tx. The previous mayor Sylvester Turner claimed that he left the city in great fiscal shape with a $420 million surplus. The current Mayor John Whitmire told a city council meeting that the city was hopelessly broke ;and blamed Turner . (ever notice how new leaders almost always claim there is some crisis caused by their predecessor ?)

“I think we can all agree on that, we are broke,” Whitmire said at the meeting, according to FOX 26 Houston. “This gives us a chance to discuss the financial picture of this city. It is broken. It was broken when I got here.”
    Houston mayor admits city is ‘broke,’ proposes tax hikes and cuts to remedy massive budget deficit - Washington Examiner

Being the responsible Dem Mayor ;Whitmire proposes tax hikes (of course) .....along with cuts in all services except essential services.

Where did the so called surplus come from ? From Federal Government gimmees .The excuse was wealth transfers for covid . Was the money spent on covid related spending ;or was it added to the budget to justify more spending ?

I haven't gone over the nuts and bolts on the city spending . But I'm willing to bet it would not take much effort to trim it sans all the extra that American communities have to foot for the invasion of out southern border.

As the article correctly points out ;Texas with a budger surplus does not have an income tax . Houston with the tax has a deficit big enough to impact services like the Fire Department .

Landmark $650 million agreement ensures Houston fire fighters back pay; annual raises and more | CW39 Houston

jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2024, 08:33 PM
    So let's see. We are running very high budget deficits, so what might the solution be? Why, it would be to increase spending!!

Under the new contract all existing, retired and family of fire fighters who have died since 2017 will receive all owed wages dating back to 2017. Not only will fire fighters receive back pay, but they will also receive 18% pay increases given to fire fighters in 2021 which will make them permanent. On top of that, the new deal mandates additional raises of 10% beginning July 1.
    Someone might have thought that pay cuts were warranted, but that is no longer how we do things in this brave new world of imagination we live in. Men are women, women are men, and large pay increases will close a budget deficit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tax claim at Houston airport [ 6 Answers ]

I am in the US temporarily and I am buying electronic stuff: iPod, computer upgrades,. etc. Can I claim the taxes I paid in Houston international airport? If so do I need to show the guys at the airport the reciepts or will they ask to see the items?

Tax refund in Houston [ 2 Answers ]

A few days ago, I was in Houston and at the time I was leaving Houston, the office at the airport was closed. What can I do in order to get the tax refund of all the things I bought in Houston. Thanks

Curious in Houston [ 2 Answers ]

I am currently attending school studying surgical technology and am just about finished. I have to complete my clinicals, then take the exam to become a certified surgical technologist. I currently have clinical clock hours and cases at a facility that obviously do not perform background checks,...

2003 Cadillac - Houston, TX [ 1 Answers ]

2003 Cadillac available in Houston - Can I make an offer here? Cars For Sale: Car Details - AutoTrader.com

View more questions Search