Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2024, 03:22 AM
    The bigger the government the more inefficient it becomes
    The administrative state can't do math. How else can this report by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) be explained ?

Since 2003 the government has shelled out a staggering $2.7 TRILLION in "improper payments " ....... $236 Billion alone last year.

3/4 of the improper payments were over payments

Our analysis of agency data shows that 14 agencies reported improper payment estimates across 71 programs. As shown in figure 2, about 79 percent ($186 billion) of the government-wide total of estimated improper payments that agencies reported for fiscal year 2023 is concentrated in five program areas:• HHS’s Medicare, comprising three programs ($51 billion);2• HHS’s Medicaid ($50 billion);• the Department of Labor’s Unemployment Insurance - Federal Pandemic Unemployment Assistance ($44 billion); • the Department of the Treasury’s Earned Income Tax Credit ($22 billion); and• the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Paycheck Protection Program Loan Forgiveness ($19 billion
    GAO-24-106927, Improper Payments: Information on Agencies’ Fiscal Year 2023 Estimates

This is an underestimate because not all of the leviathan state agencies report improper payments.
    The estimate doesn't include the Department of Health and Human Services' Temporary Assistance for Needy Families "a program that is susceptible to significant improper payments," according to the report. The Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) program gave states about $16.5 billion in 2022 to fund monthly cash assistance payments to low-income families with children and a range of other services.
    Feds made $236 billion in improper payments last year | National | thecentersquare.com

Improper payments—those that should not have been made or were made in the incorrect amount—have consistently been a government-wide issue.
    Improper Payments: Information on Agencies' Fiscal Year 2023 Estimates | U.S. GAO

Unknown is how much additional $$$$$$ gets squandered through waste, fraud and abuse.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 28, 2024, 04:44 AM
    And that doesn't count fed dollars that were not so much wasted as they were spent inefficiently.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my wife's vagina feels a lot bigger than usual, is she cheating? It's a lot bigger [ 12 Answers ]

My wife and I have been together for 2+ years. We have had a lot of sex and her vagina always feels pretty much the same in terms of size. Lately we have been kind of distant and have not had much sex at all. I have been suspicious of her cheating recently. We have spent a couple of days apart. She...

Condenser not pulling enough heat away from home... a/c is very inefficient. [ 6 Answers ]

I have a unique problem that I can’t seem to correct. I have a background in auto air conditioning so I know what’s going on with the a/c principals overall…i.e. what the components are, why they work, and what needs to be done for seasonal service…but I’m by no means a home HVAC guy. I’ve had...

How to fix York furnace inefficient [ 9 Answers ]

First, thanks for reading this post. I have tried to fix this problem for a while but could not find the clue. We moved in this 3-year old house for 3 months, but a couple weeks ago found that the York furnace cannot work efficient enough to keep up the heat, e.g. we set the desired temperature...

Inefficient Trane AC system [ 11 Answers ]

I recently bought a Trane system (compressor & blower). The system max out at about 80 degrees. It doesn't go below that temperature in the days. It runs all day, especially in the afternoons. I had a 9 SEER system and this is a 1/2 ton higher and 15 SEER unit, and it work as poor as the 9 SEER...

View more questions Search