Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2024, 04:28 AM
    Don't enable your car's on line features .
    I get that it costs more money to fix a car these days with normal inflation and replacement for some of the more sophisticated parts of the car. Yeah everyone loves the GPS and the on line audio and the fact that you can get road service from programs like OnStar's smart driver program .

But what happens when you turn on these features and your auto dealer has made an arrangement with the insurance companies so these features can spy on you ?

The Slimes has an expose on it .

A driver in Seattle ;who drives a Chevy Bolt, was wondering why his insurance premiums got jacked up so much since he was a long time safe driver without accidents . The insurance company redirected him to LexisNexis .LexisNexis collects data and sells it. So he got a copy of the report that was compiled by them ;and given to the insurance company. It was 258 pages report !!! It detailed a complete day to day driving activity that included things like every time he had to brake hard ;every time he drifted over the speed limit; every time he took a corner too hard ;or accelerated too rapidly.

Kia, Subaru and Mitsubishi also contribute to the LexisNexis “Telematics Exchange,” a “portal for sharing consumer-approved connected car data with insurers.” As of 2022, the exchange, according to a LexisNexis news release, has “real-world driving behavior” collected “from over 10 million vehicles.”
    Automakers Are Sharing Consumers’ Driving Behavior With Insurance Companies - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

If you are enrolled in OnStar smart driver program you may want to disconnect. Reddit users tell you how.

PSA: Chevy/OnStar automatically opts in all bolt owners to service that shares driving behaviors to insurance companies : r/BoltEV (reddit.com)

You may also want to request what information LexisNexis shares about you.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 12, 2024, 05:22 AM
    There is an insurance company (name escapes me) that advertises about a phone app that gathers your driving data and sends it to the company. They use that data to, according to the ad, give a premium rate to safe drivers. It's just more of big brother looking over your shoulder.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 12, 2024, 05:38 AM
    The auto companies are not up front about this . Many have these as standard features . When I questioned my insurance company about increases they gave a song and dance. They almost dared me to find another insurance company . So that is what I did.

The lesson here is ;go online ;you may as well post a billboard with your private information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Enable cookies [ 1 Answers ]

I need to enable cookies to enjoy Facebook. How do I do this? I am on AOL and have Windows SP

Desktop Enable [ 14 Answers ]

How can I enable the options that controls the desktop? :mad:

Enable boot key(f8) [ 1 Answers ]

How can I enable boot keys like f8 if it is disabled

Enable dma support [ 1 Answers ]

Hi folks, how can I know that that my hard disk is supporting DMA feature, when I tried to enable it through device manager I got the message enabling this feature may have un desirable effects on your computer , contact the vendor to get the information if this feature is supported or not. ...

View more questions Search