Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 10:53 AM
    The Insanity Continues...part two
    NORTH LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — In honor of Black History Month, the City of North Las Vegas is hosting a Black-owned business fair on Feb. 24.
    City leaders tell us the event will feature a range of attractions, including a Parks and Recreation kids area, over a dozen local Black-owned businesses and vendors, a library open house, Thirty-Three Gallery’s art corner, and culinary offerings from Shay’s Wave and Braise & Grill Food trucks.
    Live entertainment and community resources will also be available.
    So the city of North Las Vegas is apparently using city funds to host a business fair that only allows black people. If you own a business in North Las Vegas but have the misfortune of being white, Asian, Native American, or Latino, you are out of luck. I hope that many non-black business owners show up and insist that they either be allowed in to this taxpayer funded event or join together to sue the britches off of this idiot mayor.

But if that's not enough, get how the mayor justifies this racial discrimination. "Mayor Pamela Goynes-Brown says the event is a reflection of the city's commitment to celebrating diversity." So they are going to have a commitment to diversity by disallowing diversity??? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

https://www.ktnv.com/news/city-of-no...-business-fair
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2024, 01:03 PM
    It does not "only allow" (correction: allow only) Black people!!! It's in honor of Black History Month....honoring Black businesses. Even you would be welcome to meander and be awed by Black businesses..
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2024, 01:37 PM
    "We're in a space of growth and opportunity here in the city, and because of that growth and opportunity, we wanted to highlight those businesses who are the foundation and the pillars of the community to uplift and support the community in that capacity," said Dr. Melvin King, development manager with NLV Library.
    "So we said let's throw on a Black-owned business fair that focuses on bringing the community together. Not just Black, not just white, not just Indigenous, not just Asian. We want the entire community to come out and show support and uplifting each other."

'A space of growth and opportunity,' North Las Vegas hosts Black-owned business fair (news3lv.com)

Libs on TikTok are making a big deal about it .

City of North Las Vegas on X: "Come out to our community fair featuring Black-owned businesses on Saturday, Feb. 24! There will be kids activities, a library open house, food trucks, entertainment and more! #BHM #BlackHistoryMonth #community #NorthLasVegas https://t.co/3mPFalHwcy" / X (twitter.com)

I came from NY ;a place that had seemingly a weekly ethnic celebration of one kind or another .
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2024, 02:10 PM
    Considering that Blacks were grabbed out of their homes and fields in Africa, tied up, thrown into steerage, frequently beaten as they were shipped to the New World to be plantation slaves, they have every right to remember and celebrate their courage, steadfastness, and wondrous progress now.
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 03:01 PM
    It does not "only allow" (correction: allow only) Black people!!! It's in honor of Black History Month....honoring Black businesses. Even you would be welcome to meander and be awed by Black businesses..
    I must have missed the part in the story where the mayor announced that businesses of all races were welcome to come in and set up displays. Even worse, this statement by the mayor seems to say just the opposite. " North Las Vegas is hosting a Black-owned business fair on Feb. 24." Pretty sure that means that the honky-owned businesses are not welcome.

Considering that Blacks were grabbed out of their homes and fields in Africa, tied up, thrown into steerage, frequently beaten as they were shipped to the New World to be plantation slaves,
    It was far, far worse than that, beginning with the fact that they were captured and taken to the coastal areas by other tribal Africans. The transit across the Atlantic was brutal and inhumane in an extreme degree. It was not unusual for many of the slaves to die in transit.

they have every right to remember and celebrate their courage, steadfastness, and wondrous progress now.
    I agree completely. That, sadly, is not what this is about. Did you see anything about that in the article???
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 03:09 PM
    "So we said let's throw on a Black-owned business fair that focuses on bringing the community together. Not just Black, not just white, not just Indigenous, not just Asian. We want the entire community to come out and show support and uplifting each other."
    Everyone is welcome to attend. Not everyone is welcome to set up a display for his/her business.

If a black business organization wants to sponsor something like this, then that's fine. If the city is supporting it with public funding, then it is engaging in illegal racial discrimination.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2024, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I must have missed the part in the story where the mayor announced that businesses of all races were welcome to come in and set up displays. Even worse, this statement by the mayor seems to say just the opposite. " North Las Vegas is hosting a Black-owned business fair on Feb. 24." Pretty sure that means that the honky-owned businesses are not welcome.
    The mayor didn't announce that non-Black businesses are to participate. It's BLACK History Month!!! Anyone of any race are welcome to attend, may shop, may admire.

I agree completely. That, sadly, is not what this is about. Did you see anything about that in the article???
    You're not familiar with Black History Month? Sooooo, please tell us what this is about.
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 03:31 PM
    The mayor didn't announce that non-Black businesses are to participate. It's BLACK History Month!!! Anyone of any race are welcome to attend, may shop, may admire.
    The ole reading comprehension is failing some today, is it? Please reread this.

"I must have missed the part in the story where the mayor announced that businesses of all races were welcome to come in and set up displays. Even worse, this statement by the mayor seems to say just the opposite. "North Las Vegas is hosting a Black-owned business fair on Feb. 24.' Pretty sure that means that the honky-owned businesses are not welcome."

So they may, "attend, may shop, may admire," but may NOT put up a business display unless that business is black owned. Please, please learn to pay attention.

You're not familiar with Black History Month? Sooooo, please tell us what this is about.
    And I will repost my same answer again in the hope that you will read with even a smidgen of care. "I agree completely. That, sadly, is not what this is about. Did you see anything about that in the article???"

As to me telling you what this is about, I posted the article for that very reason. Please actually read it.

When are we going to have Asian-American History Month? How about Native-American History month, Latino History month or Irish-American History Month?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2024, 04:45 PM
    When are we going to have Asian-American History Month? How about Native-American History month, Latino History month or Irish-American History Month?
    What a fantastic idea! Let's get busy getting those set up!
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 04:59 PM
    Or perhaps just do away with all of them and consider ourselves to simply be Americans?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2024, 06:04 PM
    Or perhaps just do away with all of them and consider ourselves to simply be Americans?
    You're ashamed of your heritage? I'm so sorry!
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 06:12 PM
    Come on WG. That makes no sense at all.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 27, 2024, 07:46 PM
    You want to erase your heritage and just be an "American"?
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2024, 08:42 PM
    Nope.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2024, 05:44 AM
    I just can't get worked up over this . When I went to St Patty Day in NYC I expected to see the Irish honored . When I went to the Feast of San Gennaro festival I expected to see a lot of Catholic Italian celebrations and food. I don't recall seeing a falafel stand anywhere on the street .
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2024, 06:38 AM
    I do see your point. I completely support those types of cultural events. The difference is that those types of fun festivals would take place with or without government participation which is, at any rate, largely limited to elements such as security. Their origins lie, as I understand it, with the Catholic Church.

This is a completely government sponsored and promoted gathering intended to advance the interests of one race only. It's Jim Crow stood on end. I think those kinds of essentially divisive policies cannot end too soon.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Insanity Continues to Spread [ 109 Answers ]

Air Force Academy diversity training tells cadets to use words that 'include all genders​,' drop 'mom and dad'. The Air Force Academy also tells cadets to be 'Color Conscious' instead of 'Colorblind'. ...

Has anyone here tried Insanity Workout? [ 0 Answers ]

I am in my 3 week of Insanity, today I have my 15day Fit Test. Obviously I do not see any big changes, its only been 2 weeks, but I do feel better, and I am not doing the diet they give you, I am just watching what I eat, no pop, no fast food, eat smaller portions, water all day. I know they say...

Right Wing Insanity [ 187 Answers ]

Hello: A while back I heard that the candidate for governor of Florida was advocating drug testing for welfare recipients... I laughed and laughed and laughed... THAT stuff doesn't happen in THIS country... We have a Constitution, for crying out loud.. That guy will NEVER get elected... And,...

Insanity [ 3 Answers ]

How does one get an insane wife committed?

Government insanity [ 242 Answers ]

Ahhh... our ever-efficient government strikes again. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090929/ap_on_re_us/us_baby_sitter_backlash_mich A couple of questions. 1) Who is the schmuck that complained that his neighbor was watching other people's kids? I want to find that idiot and just...

View more questions Search