Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shadow-Horse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 22, 2007, 04:30 PM
    Evaporator Coil Placement
    Most systems show the evaporator coil after the blower, however, some air handlers show a configuration where it is before the blower. I don't have enough room above my vertical furnace to put an A coil. Would a horizontal coil between the filter and blower work?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 23, 2007, 10:04 AM
    Coils are always better on the discharge side of the unit. It prevents moisture from damaging the heat exchanger.
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 23, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Do you have a mobile home? Many of these require the evaporator coil to be installed below the heat exchanger and blower almost floor level. Sometimes it's not the best way but the only way.
    Shadow-Horse Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 04:17 PM
    I have an old 2 story colonial with a yankee basement. If I put an A coil on top of the furnace I would have to cut the joists above it. From what I've seen heat exchangers rust anyway so I'm not too concerned with that. But, could that same condensate freeze the blower?
    JackT Posts: 260, Reputation: 19

Apr 23, 2007, 05:27 PM
    I have seen coils installed on the return side but it creates more concerns. You need to make sure you have a good air filter before the coil and a properly designed condensate trap. Pulling the cold air over the heat exchanger is not efficient and can reduce the life of the heat exchanger. Be sure to get a coil designed for the air flow direction you'll need. I'm not recommending this application but I have seen it done.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cleaning an evaporator coil? [ 2 Answers ]

How do you recommend that I clean a dirty evaporator coil? I appreciate your help!

Evaporator coil needs to be replaced? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello - pardon my lack of knowledge about AC units, but I figured this site is a good way to double-check my AC repairman's diagnosis. My AC wasn't cooling and last year they added more freon and I was supposed to schedule a freon leak check but I never did it. Well, same time this year my AC is...

Toluene used on a rotary evaporator [ 1 Answers ]

Why does fat dissolve in toluene but water does not when put on a rotary evaporator? any help would be great.thanx

Cleaning Evaporator Coil? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello - after reading earlier posts, I think I may need to clean our evaporator coil. Is that something I can do myself and how would I do that? Thanks, Sally

Carrier Furnace Evaporator Coils [ 1 Answers ]

How often do these coils need to be cleaned?

View more questions Search