Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2024, 05:31 AM
    Dems want the Fed to cut interest rates.
    They see lowering rates that they believe would do a Keynesian infusion into the economy as a key to their Fall electoral prospects .

Warren pushes Fed Chair Powell to cut rates, ease housing pressure (cnbc.com)

As predicted ;the pressure on Fed Chair Jerome Powell will be enormous .

He spoke the end of last year ;without being specific ,about the possibility of a number of rate cuts (without saying how many and when they would start )

The last meeting of the Fed was disappointing to those who want to see easy money return.

But the inflation rate has not come down to the Fed's target of 2% . So far he is resisting the political pressure.

A strong jobs report complicates Jerome Powell's political dilemma as 2024 election nears (yahoo.com)

"We do not consider politics in our decisions, "We never do. And we never will. And I think the record — fortunately, the historical record really backs that up."
    Jerome Powell: Full 2024 60 Minutes interview transcript - CBS News

I agree with Powell . It takes time to beat inflation. Lowering rates too soon and too deep can destroy all the progress made.

Check out some similar questions!

CD interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

How do I figure the interest for a CD that was invested at 4.02% APY compounded daily?

Yields, exchange rates and interest rates [ 1 Answers ]

When interest rates falls, then bond prices rise and yields fall. However, when the exchange rate falls, investors demand less bonds, price of bond falls and yields rise. So what happens in an environment of falling interest rates and depreciating exchange rate- the 2 are opposing consequences-...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.