Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 12, 2024, 05:13 AM
    is the defense of Micronesia in our national security interests ?
    Flashback December 1941 . The Japanese crippled our fleet at Pearl Harbor on Dec 7 and simultaneously began an attack of the Philippines . American General MacArthur's troops fought valiantly . But their position eroded because of lack of supplies . MacArthur made a strategic call to abandon Manila and to make his defense on the Bataan Peninsula because he believed he could hold out long enough to be resupplied .

But Admiral Thomas Hart informed him that he could not resupply the Americans .

Why ? Because the Japanese had occupied Palau ;the Mariana Islands ; the Caroline Islands (aka Micronesia );the Marshall Islands . They are a chain of islands stretching in a straight line from Hawaii in the East to the Philippines .
    When you watch or read about the island hopping campaign by the Navy and Marines it is these islands the US had to take to liberate Philippines and begin the attacks on Japan.

After the war the US came to a defense agreement with these islands called 'The Compacts of Free Association' . It was renewed in 1987 . Together with a separate pact with Palau the US agreed to provide finacial aid for the islands in exchange for defense and security rights . (we also got to do stuff like blow away an island or two testing hydrogen bombs .)

What does it mean for US security ? It enables us to have strategic deniability to our adversaries in the Pacific ,especially China. Our west coast is secure because we forward deploy on these islands 'the 2nd island chain' . Along with assets in the 'First Island Chain' (Japan ,Taiwan ,Philippines ,and Indonesia )we are able to bottle up the PLN (China's navy) preventing them an unobstructed passage to the Pacific.

China of course would like to change the equation and is conducting a full court effort to do so.

Funding for the compact is due to run out this year. The funding is tied up in the continuing resolution that is stalled in Congress.

The former President of the Federated States of Micronesia has warned us that if the money is not delivered soon ;then there are forces in the islands that would be more than welcome to come to terms with China.

“It is very critical that approval of this is done as soon as possible,” Panuelo said, because on February 2, the money allocated to the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands runs out under the terms of the continuing resolution. (Palau’s funding expires in September 2024, but it also needs the new Compact funding approved soon to help its struggling economy.) The White House has also called on Congress to pass the funding as soon as possible.
    In the meantime, Panuelo said, “China is looking at the chaos in Washington, D.C.” Delaying Compact funding, he emphasized, “would severely impact the U.S. being the major player in our region, especially in the Freely Associated States.”

China Threatens US Interests in Micronesia, Former President Warns – The Diplomat

During the debate Wednesday Nikki Haley repeated a line I am frankly tired of hearing Speaking of throwing more $$$ down the Ukraine rabbit hole she said ....
    “Supporting Ukraine is 3.5 percent of our budget …"
    I submit that the money to the Micronesia chain is much more critical to our interests. The monopoly bucks going to Ukraine would more than cover our commitment.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2024, 06:44 AM
    It never ceases to amaze me to watch how the pols in Washington continue to spend money like it grows on trees, and "we the people" are content to stand by and watch them do it. I think it has gone on for so many decades now that we just accept it as natural. It's like a man who has been a hundred pounds overweight for so many years that he no longer notices it. Until, that is, he has a massive heart attack.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2024, 04:55 AM
    During the sausage making negotiations to the Senate failed border bill ;the aid to the 'The Compacts of Free Association' island states was removed from the bill . Aid for Micronesia is now in limbo with no legislative action pending.

The House created a stand alone bill for aid to Israel . Good for them . I despise omnibus bills and continuing resolutions that have the kitchen sink components .

But they neglected this (IMO) vital aid package to our strategic partners in the islands. To us security means having military access . To them security means having electricity and the basics that keep a society functioning .

Make no mistake . If we leave a void then China will be more than willing to fill it .

Already the Chinese money is pouring into these nations ;and courting their politicians

Just before he left office in May, President David Panuelo wrote a letter warning that members of the government recorded meetings detailing bribes and perks that came with Beijing’s interest in the country ;and raised concerns about China’s growing influence .

Primary Source - President Panuelo's Letter on Chinese "Political Warfare" in Micronesia (vermilionchina.com)

The compact's( Marianas, Guam, Palau and the Marshall Islands) more than 600 islands has an area of the Pacific roughly the size of the continental U.S.

Remember we shed blood and treasure liberating them from Japan in WWII and since has been a vital strategic bridge to Australia ,Philippines ,and South East Asia.

You know the US sees it for it's strategic value. We already have Guam . But it does not end there .

Air Force clearing out jungles in Pacific to bolster airfield options - Defense One

China's investments there have been more than $100 million in infrastructure development .

FSM National Government - FSM National Government

We need to step up. We lose these islands at our peril.
    Ultra Member

Apr 10, 2024, 03:16 AM
    The more I read about the region ,the more I realize how shortsightedly stupid and bizarre our policies have become.

This is what Senator Joni Ernst told Newsweek.

"The Chinese Communist Party (CCP) has already proven they will stop at nothing to infiltrate the United States, and that threat is increasing every day as Chinese nationals use a visa loophole to gain access to our critical military installations in Guam,"
    US Military Secrets 'at Risk' of Being Discovered (newsweek.com)

Incredibly Chinese nationals can travel to Micronesia on a 14 day free visa ;including US held the Commonwealth of the Northern Marianas Islands (CNMI). From there they can go to Guam and play tourist while spying and infiltrating this key US base.

Rep Neal Dunn said
    Law enforcement does an outstanding job capturing those with ill-intent, but look how DHS handles our border crisis. We cannot risk the same thing occurring in the CMNI.

I question how outstanding an organization headed by Alejandro Mayorkas does at enforcing anything that is in the national interest to enforce. Oh they are good at tracking concerned parents at PTA meetings. But as we have seen ;they turn a blind eye to legitimate external threats. Of course Quid Pro Joe has no problem with the Chinese having this visa loophole. Thank you Hunter !

"The CNRA requires DHS to identify countries from which the CNMI receives a ‘significant economic benefit’ from the number of visitors for pleasure within the year preceding enactment," Buetow continued, adding that DHS determined that the People’s Republic of China (PRC) "met this economic threshold in 2009."
    DHS upholds CNMI's discretionary parole program | Local News | saipantribune.com

2009 that makes it Trump's fault ...... right ? Joe has his out . The law was passed in 2008 . That makes it the emperor's fault ....right ?

We now know this is a big vulnerability and something has to be done about it.
    The governor of CNMI ;Arnold Palacios, began a policy of moving away from Chinese dependence.

Palacios: We’re over-reliant on China | Local News | saipantribune.com

So the economic impetus for the policy is outdated.

From a strategic and national security perspective ;ending this visa free policy is a no brainer . If the Chinese make a move on Taiwan ;one of the first things they would want to do is to neutralize Guam .What better way to do that than to have infiltrators on hand ?

Pacific Commander Warns China Likely To Move On Taiwan; Guam A Target - Breaking Defense

War games show Guam as likely target if China takes Taiwan | News | guampdn.com

Chinese Malware Hits Systems on Guam. Is Taiwan the Real Target? - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

DHS removed the exception for Russia in 2019 . I can only think of one reason why the same has not been done with China......(10% for the big guy) .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which is the bigger national security threat ? [ 8 Answers ]

Clueless Joe said that Elon Musk's purchase of Twitter should be investigated for national security reasons that it was “worthy of being looked at”. “I think that Elon Musk’s cooperation and/or technical relationships with other countries is worthy of being looked at,” “Whether or not he is...

I am a British National and I married a Moroccan national 3 months ago, she is curren [ 0 Answers ]

I am a British National and I married a Moroccan national 3 months ago, she is currently residing with me in the UK and gained entry on a spouse visa, however I would like to divorce and require advice

What's more important, human rights or national security? [ 7 Answers ]

Take for instance MoveOn.org-inspired human rights position and one of the adherents to its philosophy, Jimmy Carter. Jimmy Carter abandoned our ally the Shah of Iran because he was insufficiently democratic, and the results: An even less democratic government that wants to destroy us. Apply...

"The Politics of National Security" [ 18 Answers ]

Lieberman Delivers Major Address on "The Politics of National Security" Is that the change Americans voted for in 2006? The left constantly reminds us that Americans are overwhelmingly against the Iraq war, are Americans for America's defeat? I think it was DK that asked earlier, when...

View more questions Search