Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2024, 04:30 PM
    How dare you print the truth!!
    A court rightfully dismissed a lawsuit from a Notre Dame professor who sued a conservative student newspaper (They still have those??) for the terrible crime of printing what everyone already knew to be true, that the prof was pro-abortion. While the suit was dismissed, it still creates a climate of intimidation against young conservatives since the threat of being sued tends to make most people timid. Let's hope that's not true in this case.

Not mentioned in the article is the question of why a professor at a Catholic university would feel such freedom to be pro-abortion and to be able to post on her office door the fact that she is happy to help students with those decisions.

A pro-choice professor at the University of Notre Dame has lost a defamation lawsuit against a conservative student newspaper that she claimed misrepresented and defamed her.
    Tamara Kay, a sociology and global affairs professor, sued "The Irish Rover" in May over two of its articles that she said contained "false and defamatory information," according to a copy of the complaint reviewed by Fox News Digital. The complaint specifically named two student journalists, W. Joseph DeReuil and Luke Thompson.
    In response, "The Rover" argued the lawsuit violated the state of Indiana's "Strategic Lawsuit Against Public Participation" law.

St. Joseph County Judge Steven David ruled against Kay on Monday and wrote that the alleged defamatory statements were, in fact, true, not made with actual malice and did not contain "a defamatory inference," The College Fix reported. Stevens noted there were no damages that could be "causally linked" to the articles in question and the reporting was "lawful."

"The Court concludes that the allegedly defamatory statements were made in the furtherance of the defendant's right to free speech, were made in connection with a public issue, were made with good faith and with a reasonable basis in law and fact," Judge David added.
    Kay has shared a number of pro-abortion resources on her Twitter, labeling herself a Notre Dame "abortion rights expert," offering to "help as a private citizen if you have issues w access or cost. DM me [sic]," according to previous social media posts reported on by the Irish Rover.
    As such, the court determined Kay had a documented history of "advocating abortion legalization" in public comments, through social media and published commentary, such as newspapers and academic journals.
    Such action, the court found, meant that Kay "intentionally placed herself into the national discussion on abortion."
    The student newspaper also reported Kay had a sign on her campus office door that read: "This is a SAFE SPACE to get help and information on ALL Healthcare issues and access — confidentially with care and compassion."
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/judge-...-student-paper
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 10, 2024, 05:08 AM
    and here I though libs liked freedom of the press. As for Notre Dame U ;it is Catholic in name only.
    Center for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion | University of Notre Dame

The University frequently strays from Catholic doctrine

As for the professor ;she engaged in a frivilious lawsuit of intimidation. (Strategic lawsuits against public participation or SLAPP)

Indiana has anti-SLAPP laws . I am not clear about all the details ;but I believe the students sued are entitled to recoup lawyer and courts costs .

Indiana Anti-SLAPP - The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (rcfp.org)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

None Dare Call It Treason [ 21 Answers ]

The orangheheaded thug reveals the location of two nuclear submarines to the Phillipine president. The location of these subs is among the most highly kept secrets in the entire US arsenal. Yes, the locations weren't pinpointed, but I can guarantee you that the Russians were extremely delighted to...

The Love Dare Book [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening, My husband and I just recently watched the movie Fireproof. In this movie it discusses the book, The Love Dare. I just bought the book, and decided to take the dare. First day was: to hold my tongue when my spouse says something negative. Long story short, my husband is the most...

Dare to dream [ 2 Answers ]

Dare to dream translated to sanskrit

Need help to distinguish between auxiliary dare and main verb dare [ 1 Answers ]

I am facing a problem while differentiating between the use of dare as an auxiliary verb and as a main verb. Most of the web sites say that you can know it by the way it's used but all the sentences I come across, they just confuse me more and more. Consider the following two examples. 1. None...

View more questions Search