Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luvmyhondas Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2005, 06:33 AM
    Banging pipes
    Whenever I use a water service (tap/shower/toilet/etc) in my house, the pipes rattle and make banging sounds.

Can someone explain why this is happening and how it can be corrected?

Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 23, 2005, 06:51 AM
    Banging pipes
    Quote Originally Posted by luvmyhondas
    Whenever I use a water service (tap/shower/toilet/etc) in my house, the pipes rattle and make banging sounds.

Can someone explain why this is happening and how it can be corrected?

Thanks!
    You have air hammer. This is caused by water hitting a fitting when the flow is abruptly shut off. We installed air chambers, (shock absorbers) to contain air hammer. Let me tell you about air chambers and how to correct your problem. Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks. Over time water and condensate built up in them and they must be recharged. First turn off the house at the main house shut off valve. Then open hot and cold faucets at the farthest bathroom to prevent air lock.(This is important.) You will find under each fixture little brass or chrome valves. These are called angle stops. With a small pail held under the angle stop to catch the run off look under the handle of the stop and you will see a nut with the stem running through it. This is called the bonnet packing nut. Put your wrench on it and back it off counterclockwise. Now open the stop and remove the stem and washer assembly, The stop will begain to drain. When it has quit draining reassemble the stop and move on to the next one. Do this on each one of your angle stops. There will be six of them. When you are done, close off the faucets you have opened, turn on the water to the house, and give yourself a pat on the back.
    You have just recharged your air chambers and saved yourself a hefty service call bill. Hope this helps . TOM

Mar 23, 2005, 04:22 PM
    Thanks...

There's a small problem... the furthest bathroom has a shower and a bathtub where the plumbing is behind "tiled" walls...

Is there another way to do this without having to rip open my walls?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 23, 2005, 04:35 PM
    Thanks...

There's a small problem... the furthest bathroom has a shower and a bathtub where the plumbing is behind "tiled" walls...

Is there another way to do this without having to rip open my walls?
    Go back and read my post, (Back in the 60's we were required to to put shock absorbers,(air chambers) on all bath lavatorys and kitchen sinks.)
    There are no air chambers on tubs and showers. More questions? I'm as close as a click. Cheers, Tom

Mar 23, 2005, 07:44 PM
    Sorry Tom, still learning to read... :p

So it's just the faucet at the furthest bathroom (furthest from where?) and you say there shoud be 6 angle stops at this faucet?

When you say lavatory, are your referring to le toilet? Need to work on my plumbin jargon...

Thanks again!
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 23, 2005, 09:07 PM
    Speed ball is basically telling you how to drain the lines in your house. Do you have copper supply lines? Galvanized?

Tom
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 24, 2005, 07:10 AM
    Sorry Tom, still learning to read... :p

So it's just the faucet at the furthest bathroom (furthest from where?) and you say there shoud be 6 angle stops at this faucet?

When you say lavatory, are your refering to le toilet? need to work on my plumbin jargon...

Thanks again!

NOPE!! None of the above. Let's get together on terms before we go on.
    Toilet= Potty, throne or crapper
    Lavatory= bath room sink
    Sink= kitchen sink
    Angle Stop= those little shut off valves under the lavatory and sink cabinets.
    Faucets at the furthest bathroom= Just that! After the water's shut off open the hot and cold faucets in the lavatory in the master bath which is usually at the end at the run.
    6 Angle Stops= 2 on each lavatory plus 2 in the kitchen. For a 2 bath home.
    Things a little clearer now? Cheers, Tom

Mar 24, 2005, 08:25 PM
    I'm beginning to see the light...

I have 2 3 piece bathrooms and 1 powder room, therefore I should have 8 angle stops that require draining, correct? What about my laundry sink in the basement? And how about my outdoor fawcets?

My pipes are copper but I don't have valves (builder too cheap). I have these chrome elbows which are welded on one side and there's a bonet on the other end leading to the fawcet.

So this is how I understand what needs to be done:

1. shut off main valve
    2. open hot and cold fawcet in master bathroom (I have a single handle fawcet, do I just put the fawcet in the middle?)
    3. open each angle stop and drain (should I start on the 2nd flr and work my way down to the main/basement?)
    4. when all the angle stops have been drained, close the fawcet in the master bath
    5 turn on main valve
    6 crack open a beer

Did I get it right?

Will I need to do this every couple of years or is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks
    tommytman Posts: 153, Reputation: 2

Mar 24, 2005, 10:13 PM
    http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...infwatham.shtm

Check the above link out. They explain the idea of having air chambers to eliminate water hammer. If you have these they will be in your walls so you can't see them unless you bust out the drywall. My house was built in 1968 and I have them and don't have water hammering. They also tell you how to drain your house plumbing... what speedball has been telling you to do.

If it doesn't work out you can always install some water hammer arrestors or make some air chambers and install them assuming you have access to some of your supply lines. Sweating copper pipe isn't very hard... if I can do it so can anyone.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/waterhammerarresters.html
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 25, 2005, 01:54 PM
    I'm beginning to see the light...

I have 2 3 piece bathrooms and 1 powder room, therefore I should have 8 angle stops that require draining, correct? What about my laundry sink in the basement? and how about my outdoor fawcets?

My pipes are copper but I don't have valves (builder too cheap). I have these chrome elbows which are welded on one side and there's a bonet on the other end leading to the fawcet.

So this is how I understand what needs to be done:

1. shut off main valve
    2. open hot and cold fawcet in master bathroom (I have a single handle fawcet, do I just put the fawcet in the middle?)
    3. open each angle stop and drain (should i start on the 2nd flr and work my way down to the main/basement?)
    4. when all the angle stops have been drained, close the fawcet in the master bath
    5 turn on main valve
    6 crack open a beer

Did I get it right?

Will I need to do this every couple of years or is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Thanks
    You don't have angle stops per se , ( You have 1/2 X 1/4" Chome sweat by compression elbos)
    Where do you live? We are required by code to install stops on all fixtures.
    Just the lavatorys and kitchen sink have air chambers.
    Just open up the furthest fixture by opening the lever in the middle of the faucet.
    NEW GAME PLAN** Since you don't have angle stops to take apart. Then shut the water off to the house and turn on the hot and cold to ALL lavatorys and the kitchen sink. Now go down in the basement and drain the system at the laundry tray. If that doesn't get it you may have to install your own as mentioned by Tommytman. Just follow the links he gave you.
    regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

In just one bathroom when the water is turned on the pipes bang when the water is running or when the toilet is flush

Banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I have read a lot about people with pipes that bang when they first turn them on, but I have a bit of a different problem. When I turn on either the cold or hot in the kitchen, there is no pressure at all. The water will come out in a small stream or not at all. I then will turn on and off the...

Banging pipes - tale of woe [ 9 Answers ]

My wife and I just bought our first house. Its new construction and came with landscaping and irrigation in the front yard. We recently had irrigation installed for the back yard. This is where the problem starts. There are now a total of 4 zones. 1 and 2 are in the front and 3 and 4 (the new...

Low pressure/banging pipes [ 1 Answers ]

I am a first time homeowner with a well my house was built in 1975. The problem I'm having is with banging pipes,when I turn on the hot water at the faucet or when doing laundery the pipes bang violently and very little hot water comes out. I can help the problem by turning on the hot and cold on...

Pipe banging other than water hammer? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, Recently the pipes in our house have started banging. My initial thoughts were loosely hanging pipes or water hammer. I secured the pipes better/tighter with hangers, but the problem continues. Water hammer would be a possible idea, except it only seems to happen from the toilet pipes...

View more questions Search