Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2024, 06:09 PM
    cutting it close
    hearing the case by end of January does not mean they will have a decision. The primary date is March 5 and ballots have to be printed .
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2024, 03:35 AM
    The DC Circus Court denied Trump's appeal for immunity . Now the ball is in SCOTUS' court two days before they are expected to hear arguments in the Colorado ballot case .

No further commentary necessary . I see no outcome to this election cycle that ends well
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2024, 10:06 AM
    Trump is employing a strategery of strategic delay.

It seems to be working . SCOTUS already refused to fast track Jack Smith's attempt to get an immediate ruling on Trump's claim of immunity as well as his claim that the charges are double jeopardy .
    That is why the DC Circus had to rule on the case. That took 28 days .

Now Trump has 90 days to file an appeal to SCOTUS . That brings it to mid-May

The DC Circus tried to pressure Trump's team to file by February 12 . But it is likely that Trump will use the full time allotted ;and SCOTUS will most likely have no choice but the hear the case . They only need 4 of the justices to agree to hear it .

Given the way SCOTUS works ,they probably will not rule until mid-summer at the end of the session ;or they can stall (as I suspect they really want ) until November after the election.

But if they rule against Trump then the trial could not begin until late summer the earliest . Smith's team believes the trial will last 2-3 months .
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2024, 03:31 AM
    My information was a little off. The DC Circus in exchange for Trump filing by the 12 will freeze the trial prep by Judge Tanya Chutkan . If Trump does not appeal to SCOTUS by Monday then the DC Circus will give her the authority to proceed with the weeks of pre-trial proceedings .

Given that fact ;most observers believe Trump will file his appeal to SCOTUS Monday because if he doesn't take the deal , he will have to hope that SCOTUS issues a stay of the proceedings . That is probably a risk he does not want to take. Theoretically she could have the trial during the appeal with only the verdict depending on SCOTUS' decision if he doesn't take the deal. (I assume a DC jury will find him guilty)

If SCOTUS accepts to hear Trump's appeal ,then the ball in in their court and they can decide when to reach a decision. I do not believe they wish to be involved in the politics of the election and could very well delay their decision.

If so and Trump wins the election ,he is the boss of the Justice Dept . I expect he will fire Jack Smith ;and possibly issue pardons to himself.

If SCOTUS refuses to hear the immunity case then the Appeals Court decision stands.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2024, 05:29 AM
    issue pardons to himself.
    That could easily backfire big-time.

This whole thing makes my head hurt.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2024, 05:48 AM
    It is unchartered territory. Legal experts disagree if he can. It would not help him in NYC and Georgia where this legal authority is local . Those cases however are the weakest ones against him in my opinion. The documents case is where he is most vulnerable. He got a big help this week when the DOJ decided to not make charges against Quid.

A blind person could see the difference in how his case was handled compared to Quid.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2024, 05:57 AM
    The problem is that political expedience has become so prevalent that most liberal dems will not, under any circumstances, make an appeal for equal treatment under the law. That was obvious when the Kavanaugh hearings were held, and it's even more obvious now. Getting Trump is more important to them than the rule of law.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2024, 03:41 PM
    wait until you read what Special Prosecutor Robert Hur wrote about Quid in his report .

Basically a jury would find it reasonable to conclude that Quid is too feeble and suffers memory loss.

Quid is running for 4 more years as President .

Mr. Biden’s memory was significantly limited, both during his recorded interviews with the ghostwriter in 2017, and in his interview with our office in 2023.

We have also considered that, at trial, Mr. Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory. Based on our direct interactions with and observations of him, he is someone for whom many jurors will want to identify reasonable doubt. It would be difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him-by then a former president well into his eighties-of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness.

Report on the Investigation Into Unauthorized Removal, Retention, and Disclosure of Classified Documents Discovered at Locatinos Including the Penn Biden Center and the Delaware Private Residence of President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (justice.gov)
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2024, 03:48 PM
    This is a variation of the theme Comey used for Evita .

No reasonable prosecutor would charge

No reasonable jury would convict
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2024, 06:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Basically a jury would find it reasonable to conclude that Quid is too feeble and suffers memory loss.
    And tRump is grossly overweight, has an unnatural skin color, wears a dead orange animal on his head, always wears the same clothes (do they ever get laundered?), cheated his way into wealth, isn't the brightest bulb on the marquee, is a misogynist and racist, has declining mental health, and hates most foods unless they're from McDonald's.
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2024, 08:50 PM
    And tRump is grossly overweight, has an unnatural skin color, wears a dead orange animal on his head, always wears the same clothes (do they ever get laundered?), cheated his way into wealth, isn't the brightest bulb on the marquee, is a misogynist and racist, has declining mental health, and hates most foods unless they're from McDonald's.
    What a kind, thoughtful observation. Yep, there is no TDS at work here. Being unable to see the irony in claiming Trump has "declining mental health" is rather startling. Also, would you consider an enthusiastic supporter of Stacey Abrams wanting to comment on Trump's weight to be a serious case of selective amnesia?

This DOJ observation is worth thinking long and hard about. "...a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness." It certainly seems to imply that he is not presently capable of a "mental state of willfulness."

Name:  th.jpeg
Views: 14
Size:  8.0 KB
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 8, 2024, 10:13 PM
    Unlike the "kind, thoughtful" BDS I was comparing it to? Biden is thin and good looking. Stacey isn't running for president, hoping to become a dictator, a czar, an emperor.

Originally Posted by tomder55
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2024, 03:19 AM
    Actually that was not me saying it . That was Special Prosecutor Hur ;appointed by Quid's partisan AG Garland who wrote that in his investigation report .

I did not write this ;he did:

Mr. Biden’s memory was significantly limited, both during his recorded interviews with the ghostwriter in 2017, and in his interview with our office in 2023.

.....sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory. Based on our direct interactions with and observations of him, he is someone for whom many jurors will want to identify reasonable doubt. It would be difficult to convince a jury that they should convict him-by then a former president well into his eighties-of a serious felony that requires a mental state of willfulness.

It was popular at the beginning of Trump's term for the TDS crowd to suggest that Trump should be removed from office under terms of the 25th amendment because of the age and competency question . I contend that Hur is planting the seed for the Dems to use if Quid is (God forbid) elected to a 2nd term.

Quid is not being charged because “Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory”

But he’s okay to be POTUS ???????????????????????????????????????
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2024, 06:01 AM
    Biden is thin and good looking.
    Even if that was true ("good looking"...really??) do you really think that's what it's all about? Good thing you weren't around in Roosevelt's presidency. "Just an overweight, balding, wheelchair bound man who wants to be an emperor!!" Perhaps you should confine your comments to issues of policy and not to hateful, personal rhetoric.

Do you not find it puzzling that, as a person who repeatedly argues for a non-judgmental, inclusive, diverse, and kind worldview, you can be so capable of spouting such a scorching diatribe as you did? In what way is it not essentially hate speech?

Stacey isn't running for president
    So it's OK to be "grossly overweight" as long as you are merely wanting to become a senator? Hmmm. At any rate, your eagerness to bodyshame is, on a liberal level, appalling.

hoping to become a dictator, a czar, an emperor.
    It would be helpful if you would make at least a feeble effort to stick to the truth.

“Biden would likely present himself to a jury, as he did during our interview of him, as a sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory”
    It should be an alarming statement to every American. I often wonder how many foreign leaders sit in amazement at how America could have elected a man with such extensive cognitive problems. If he was teaching in an elementary school, he would be asked to retire.
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2024, 08:57 AM
    From yesterday's presser.

Shortly after insisting that his memory was "fine," Biden proceeded to refer to Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi as the "president of Mexico."
    Hmmm.

One more observation. Isn't it interesting that the DOJ is establishing a habit of turning a blind eye to the illegal activities of democrat presidential candidates? First it was HC who had plainly broken the law but was not prosecuted, and now the same is true of President Biden. The blind lady holding the scales must be weeping.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 9, 2024, 10:05 AM
    At least tRump isn't mentally ill and acting like a spoiled child. ***Trump is simply channeling Hitler and the Nazis with claims about America’s blood being poisoned by non-white human “vermin” and “Democrats” and other traitors from “within."***
    https://www.salon.com/2024/02/09/lau...2196fab2afd23e
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2024, 10:22 AM
    Rather interestingly, your article did not link to any source showing that Trump actually made those comments. Strange, don't you think?

At any rate, this is what I found of what he actually said. “illegal immigration is poisoning the blood of our nation. They’re coming from prisons, from mental institutions — from all over the world.” It clearly seems to be a reference to illegal immigrants including those released from prisons and mental institutions. I have found no references to "non-white vermin". Have you?

As usual, you demur on commenting on questions raised about your own scorched earth diatribe on this site.

This much of your statement I agree with. "At least tRump isn't mentally ill and acting like a spoiled child." You did get that part right, though he actually does act like a spoiled child far too often.
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2024, 10:45 AM
    you do understand that Special Prosecutor Hur ;in a report of his investigation that he was NOT required to release (AG Garland must've given the thumbs up ); stated that Quid and Trump both violated the laws about classified documents retention . But ,he says ; the difference is that Quid is a feeble old man with memory loss who can't remember when his son Beau died . He said he would not prosecute because a jury basically would sympathize with Quid's obvious mental decline.

This whatabout -Trumpism has no meaning to me . I have already said I do not favor Trump's return to office.

Let's move on . Super Tuesday is March 5 . State of the Union Address by Quid is March 7 . It is almost a given that Trump will sweep Super Tuesday and will have wrapped up the Repub nomination by then . My bold prediction is that Quid will announce at the SOTU Address that he will step down as President if not before
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2024, 11:00 AM
    I feel the same way about Trump now that I did in 2016. He has a big mouth which he chooses not to control and simply says whatever he is thinking at that moment. However, he seems to see our current situation pretty clearly and given his likely opponent, voting Trump is my only true option.

the difference is that Quid is a feeble old man with memory loss who can't remember when his son Beau died . He said he would not prosecute because a jury basically would sympathize with Quid's obvious mental decline.
    A chilling commentary on the mental disability of our current pres. Thankfully he is "thin and good looking", so I guess all is well?
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2024, 11:46 AM
    got me ask French President Mitterrand

Biden confuses French president Macron with ex-leader Mitterrand (nypost.com)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SCOTUS day [ 39 Answers ]

Significant win for Clueless' immigration policy. 8-1 SCOTUS decided that states do NOT have standing to challenged Clueless Joe's non-enforcement of the immigration laws. So much for the MAGA conservative court. Kavanaugh wrote the majority opinion. Only Alito dissented More opinions to...

Trump Foundation Sued, Trump A Crook - NY Attorney General [ 19 Answers ]

Blatant illegal dealing by the "art of the deal" self-proclaimed "genius". First there was the fraudulent Trump University which Colludin' Donald had to pay $25 million to settle. Now it's the equally fraudulent Trump Foundation that the New York Attorney General is suing. This...

"If Trump Shot Comey", Trump's Lawyer Giuliani's Latest Bizarre Hypothetical [ 24 Answers ]

As the Republican Party rapidly changes America into a Banana Republic, Trump's lawyer sinks into absurdity after absurdity. In an attempt to assure that Trump is above the law and cannot be prosecuted, interviewed, or any way hindered in any way he does not wish to be hindered, the unhinged...

Trump goes full Lib on maternity leave .Make American liberal again . [ 13 Answers ]

The phony is going to unveil a maternity leave policy tonight that guarantees 6 weeks paid leave for new mothers . Trump’s plan would allow families to deduct child care expenses, up to the average cost of child-care in their states, from their income taxes. People making above $250,000 would be...

View more questions Search