Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2023, 05:34 AM
    Take Your Choice
    Democrats are all in favor of choice when it comes to deciding to have an unborn child killed in the womb. However, once one of the cursed little irritants is actually born, one of their spokespersons, Randi Weingarten, finds the idea of "choice" to be downright undemocratic. After all, if someone just insists on having a child actually be born, then Ms. Weingarten wants that kid to be in a government funded and controlled school where he/she can be taught such things as the importance of choice when it comes to abortion. How clever!!

The leader of one of the nation's largest teachers unions was seen in a viral video saying that school choice "undermines democracy."

American Federation of Teachers (AFT) President Randi Weingarten made the remarks at the "Network for Public Education Action" national conference in October. A clip of her remarks blasting methods of school choice was shared on X and went viral on social media this week.

In the video, Weingarten took aim at former White House Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, Manhattan Institute's Christopher Rufo, and American Federation For Children Senior Fellow Corey DeAngelis for advocating for school choice measures.

American Federation of Teachers President Randi Weingarten was seen in a viral video saying that school choice "undermines democracy."

"They have not one thing that they offer as a solution other than privatizing or voucherizing schools which is about undermining democracy and undermining civil discourse and undermining pluralism because 90% of our kids go to public schools still," she said. "They just divide. Divide. Divide. Divide."

School choice policies allow parents to send their kids to schools outside their neighborhood or opt out of going to the public school in their neighborhood. Most states restrict parents to schools within their zip code or the school district that presides over their residential area.
    https://www.foxnews.com/media/teache...ines-democracy
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 20, 2023, 07:05 AM
    She is bucking a trend. She can rant all she wants to . School choice is happening nation wide.

In Pa they are doing it by a different name. The Opportunity Scholarship Tax Credit Program and the Educational Improvement Tax Credit Program fund scholarship reward to low and middle income students . They can be used in public or private schools. Guv Josh Shapiro initially supported vouchers and then reversed due to pressure from the Teacher's unions. But in an interview he again expressed support .

School vouchers remain part of Shapiro's plans for PA education reform | LehighValleyNews.com

Tennessee a day ago.
    Tennessee eyes universal school choice; critics fear impact on public school funding | WCYB

North Carolina

NC public schools and school choice | wcnc.com

Wisconsin

State Supreme Court declines to hear school choice lawsuit (journaltimes.com)

Nationwide

“Policymakers in 40 states debated 111 educational choice bills—79 percent of which related to ESAs. As the months ticked by, a total of seven states enacted new choice programs and 10 expanded ones already in operation. As of this writing, eight states have joined Arizona and West Virginia in offering all students choice, making 2023 the Year of Universal Choice. With the release of this latest edition of The ABCs of School Choice, approximately 20 million students—or 36 percent—are now eligible for a private choice program.”

2024 ABCs of School Choice Available Now - EdChoice
    The great awakening in the American education system spurred by COVID-19 isn’t ending anytime soon. Not only are parents remaining engaged in their children’s academic life, but they are also rethinking what learning can look like. More and more, we are seeing people realize that learning can happen anywhere—be it in a traditional brick-and-mortar building, outdoors through a microschool, or in places we haven’t yet considered. And now, more than ever, state lawmakers can move forward with confidence that educational freedom is legal and constitutional
    2023-ABCs-WEB.pdf (edchoice.org)
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2023, 08:34 AM
    Public schools in many states are basically killing themselves. Read an article just this morning about a coach who, in answer to a student's question, had a discussion about there being two genders, male and female. He was fired the next day for that supposed impertinence and is now suing. People are tiring of such madness. It's like reading that a teacher was fired for suggesting the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. It's all just setting the stage for parents who want to get their kids into a school system that they feel they can trust.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Next Choice [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question. I took next choice after 36 hours of having unprotected sex he didn't ejacualte inside of me but I know that is never an accurate way. I was just wondering if I have a good chance of not becoming pregnant. I know it was not smart of me I just need to know what my...

First year choice, residents choice [ 5 Answers ]

I saw a similar question, but since my situation is a little different, I would like to be sure please. I was on H1-B from 2005 to February 2008. I then switched to F1 and was on F1 until end September 2009, when I went back to H1-B. Under substantial presence test, I was a resident for 2008...

OK. I'm GOING N/C - I've no other choice ! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi there, Great website, great community. I've been reading lots of relationship threads here Over the past 4 days. Here's my short story : I had a 4 Year Relationship,

Appropriate choice [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I want to begin my carrier as a private pilot. Please advice me about the all body requirements for a private pilot. Such as my height, weight. And if other required. Will u.s government will assure me visa easily if I wish to join any aviation campus there . And what is hour system , I mean...

Age choice [ 21 Answers ]

At what age can you choose your leagal gardian if something were to happen to your parents?:confused:

View more questions Search