Dec 9, 2023, 06:48 AM
    Liberal Philosophy in a Nutshell
    Name:  donate.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  57.0 KB
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 9, 2023, 09:31 AM
    Out of interest, how much is the Presidential salary ?
    I know that the UK Government is well paid, but many hold additional roles elsewhere that pay far more than that.
    For example, Boris, as PM, was getting around £160k ($200k), but his extra gigs covered £500k+++($630k)
    Shirley the US Government has a similar arrangement, so the whole donation of their salary really is a PR exercise than actually meaningful.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Dec 9, 2023, 10:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Shirley the US Government has a similar arrangement,
    Who's Shirley? The head secretary?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 9, 2023, 10:43 AM
    Who's Shirley? The head secretary?
    Good catch!

CB, that's a good question. I don't think the pres is allowed to have outside incomes other than previously owned businesses or investments which are typically held in a blind trust to prevent accusations of favoritism. Tom will have a better answer.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 10, 2023, 04:56 PM
    so the whole donation of their salary really is a PR exercise than actually meaningful.
    Not true .

The President's salary is $400,000 /yr . Trump donated the entire $1.6 million amount to various federal agencies.

Not only that ..... The net pay after taxes was $78,333 . But he rounded up his donation with his own funds to the gross pay of $100,000 each quarter .

The only other Presidents to not take a salary was JFK and Herbert Hoover . Washington tried to refuse a salary but Congress would not permit that .

Why is it not a PR stunt ? Because while Trump was President he lost $millions in business opportunities .

In 2016, Trump was worth $3.7 That dropped to $3.1 billion in 2017 and held there for 2018 and 2019.He dropped to $2.5 billion. 2020 according to Forbes. Now the loss in 2020 probably resulted from the impact of covid on hotels and other commercial buildings . So let's say he lost $600 million because of his decision ot run for President . Add $1,4 million he did not take in salary . Being President cost him $7.4 million ;countless future earnings ; and probably his freedom.
    He had a brand name that was worth $ billions before running for office. The streets of NY were lined with Trump named buildings . . The Dems made sure his brand was tarnished ;and have been doing everything in their power to bankrupt him .

Note that as he is being accused in NY of defrauding bankers ;the bankers involved have stepped up and testified on his behalf .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2023, 07:10 PM
    Yep. The NY case is complete nonsense. Isn't that the DA who ran on a promise that she would get Trump?
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Dec 11, 2023, 04:44 AM
    Yes that was her only campaign pledge.

Video: See what Letitia James said in 2018 about charging Trump | CNN Politics

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Doing philosophy is easire than defining philosophy [ 1 Answers ]

Help me explain these Life from the viewpoint of death is something fearful, but death From the viewpoint of life is something a promising future. The Absolute is a Thou because the Absolute is Someone who is Present in every finite thou and whom I can address myself to and who can respond...

Middle ages & modern liberal philosophy [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a paper from school, and I need at least 3 different peoples' opinions on this question: "How much influence do you think the Middle Ages had on modern philosophy?" By the way, my name's Alyssa and I'm new to AskMeHelpDesk.com! :-)

Family in a nutshell [ 2 Answers ]

My sister is 28, her husband is 38. They both don't want to work and sit around and complain that life is unfair instead of taking action to change it. I want to help them in some way. Everything I or my family has done has been ineffective and led to resentment. Years have passed as we have...

Medicare in a nutshell. [ 1 Answers ]

The phone rings and the lady of the house answers, "Hello." A voice says, "Mrs. Sanders, please." "Speaking." "Mrs. Sanders, this is Doctor James at Saint Agnes Laboratory. When your husband's doctor sent his biopsy to the lab last week, a biopsy from another Mr. Sanders arrived as well....

View more questions Search