Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2024, 09:17 AM
    highway safety is not really a personal choice issue. If brakes are not made to standard than everyone on the road is at greater risk. I laid out the reasons why AM radios should be mandated . The President and the greenies make a much weaker case for the mandating of EVs .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2024, 12:23 PM
    AM radios have very little to do with highway safety. Your observation was, " Why would that be necessary ? Well in some parts of the country ;especially rural America, that is the best source for emergency broadcasting. FM cable and sat are not always available."

If you want an AM radio then buy one. I just don't think you should force others to buy one.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2024, 12:56 PM
    77 radio stations play a crucial role serving as Primary Entry Points (PEPs) across the country, a vast majority of which are AM stations. These are designated radio stations whose signals cover 90% of the American population and have a direct connection to FEMA and the National Weather Service (NWS). In times of crisis, these stations receive emergency information and alerts directly from the federal government, ensuring a reliable and authoritative source of information for the public.

Why is AM radio necessary when most people have cells phones or other electronic devices?

• AM radio stations have a long reach, covering a much larger geographical area than a cell phone tower, and can be accessed by anyone with a simple radio device. This ensures that vital information is accessible to everyone, including those in rural or remote areas.
    • AM radio stations continue to function during power outages, natural disasters or other emergencies, providing critical updates and information to the public. Wireless Emergency Alerts may not be as reliable in these situations, as cell towers can be damaged or overwhelmed by high call volume.
    • AM radio stations can broadcast emergency information in multiple languages, ensuring that all members of our local communities receive crucial updates, regardless of the language they speak.
    • AM radio broadcasts do not require listeners to opt-in or sign up for alerts, ensuring that vital information is available to everyone. In contrast, Wireless Emergency Alerts may only be received by those who have compatible devices.
    • Whereas wireless alerts can tell you what is happening and where, AM radio can share many more crucial details and actionable information, such as how to stay safe, when the storm will pass or where help is located. Wireless alerts typically include “Check local media” directing people to their local AM station for lifesaving information.
    • AM radio stations also provide a real human on the line to help those impacted by the disaster. Recently during a tornado emergency, a local AM radio deejay helped direct emergency services personnel to a caller live on the air, getting them vital help they needed.
    AM Radio's Role in the Emergency Alert System | National Association of Broadcasters (nab.org)
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2024, 01:02 PM
    So people in NYC, Chicago, and LA need to be legally required to purchase a radio they do not want so a person living 40 miles north of Boise can be alerted of an incoming blizzard rather than simply expecting the Idaho resident to take care of himself by buying a basic AM radio? Sorry, but it would just be more government overreach. Less is more.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2024, 02:23 PM
    We just disagree . Public safety is a legitimate and compelling government interest that can justify reasonable mandates.

The legislation encourages the exploration of the best availablemethod of achieving the regulatory objective (it specifically instructs the GAO to investigate AM radio alternatives,) But until such time as an alternative that reaches the vast majority of the nation is available ;AM radio is the best means to achieve emergency broadcasts .

Here is the only choice to consider . Without AM radio being available the ONLY alternative for auto consumers would be a paid subscription due to the short range of FM coverage .

I believe there is neither a significant cost or savings in keeping or eliminating AM radio in EVs . I believe the REAL objection that automakers have is a cost associated with reducing and shielding the EMI (electromagnetic interference )and the RFI ( radio frequency interference ) that is associated with an all electric
    auto.
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2024, 07:31 PM
    Without AM radio being available the ONLY alternative for auto consumers would be a paid subscription due to the short range of FM coverage .
    I have driven all over our state. I've never been able to connect to any fewer than eight or ten free FM stations. It is never a problem, so there is not a single person in this state who would need that radio. Even worse, the AM station in our city that I do occasionally like to listen to has a range of about fifteen miles. So I would prefer that my government leave me alone rather than forcing me to buy something I don't want so the guy north of Boise can find out a blizzard is coming.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2024, 02:05 AM
    rather than forcing me to buy something I don't want
    that would be the EV not the radio Good thing you only drive in your state .AM radio is an essential part of our emergency alert infrastructure. Your choice is whether to use it or not. Cell towers and GPS go down. Radio Stations have their own power. FM in a car is not sufficient because there are many parts of the country where there is no FM service. AM has wider broadcast range, especially at night, It can be heard by a larger audience, with some listeners tuning in hundreds of miles away from a station.

I agree there are too many mandates . AM radio in a car is not one of them .The problem with AM reception is what I described ;the disregard by the manufactures to correct interference in electric cars . Yes it would be an added cost to shield against EMI and RFI .But they lie when they say that is their concern. The auto industry markets lucrative subscription services for audio and GPS. That is the real reason they want to eliminate free radio options .
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2024, 04:22 AM
    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive."

We just disagree. I'm moving on. Have a great day.
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2024, 07:29 AM
    Name:  climate change cartoon.jpg
Views: 4
Size:  75.0 KB
    Ultra Member

Today, 03:17 AM
    Every Ford EV sold this year has an average $132,000 loss for the company . That with massive tax payer funded subsidies.

Ford just reported a massive loss on every electric vehicle it sold | CNN Business
    Uber Member

Today, 08:27 AM
    Another talking point for Trump if he can summon the will to think about what he is going to say BEFORE he says it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's a good face cream that will lighten up scar on my face? [ 0 Answers ]

I am looking for something not too expensive and works , I can buy in drug store please

I can't figure out my face shape and I want to get my hair cut to suit my face [ 5 Answers ]

The measurements of my face are: Widest part of cheekbones (cheekbone to cheekbone) - 9 inches Widest part of jaw (widest part on the left to widest part on the right) - 8 inches Widest part of forehead (" ") - 8 inches Length of face - 7 inches It says my face shape is square but it...

Should I get on a plane and find out what happened face to face? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Everyone, I was in a relationship with a girl I met through World of Warcraft(pc game) for about three years until the 4/11/09 when I she ended it, over msn. She is Norwegian, I'm English. She was 16 when I met her and I was 17. I'm now 21 and she is 19. We've spent a lot of time together....

View more questions Search