Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 08:11 AM
    Fences don't work?
    Funny how liberals love to spout about the inefficiences of fences until, of course, they actually need a fence, and then they don't hesitate to use them. This is because everyone knows that fences actually DO work. Trump was right as it turns out.

San Francisco has erected barricades and fencing to secure the APEC summit where President Biden and Chinese President Xi Jinping are scheduled to meet this week.
    Photos and videos show black metal fenced barricades erected outside the Moscone Center, where leaders from the 21-member Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation group will gather this week to talk about how to better spur trade and economic growth across the Pacific region.
    They have also managed to clear out the homeless tents lest they be seen by the leader of China and prove to be an embarrassment. Once he leaves, then one can assume that the homeless will reoccupy those spots and resume using the bathroom on the streets and avenues since that is disgusting merely to the citizens of San Fran and not a bigshot foreign leader.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/san...-xi-biden-meet
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 08:20 AM
    Who would want to break into the Moscone Center? To do what? And armed guards will be everywhere. Very different situation from the southern border. No comparison.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 09:37 AM
    Fences work. Locked doors work. Bank vaults work. None of them work perfectly, but their effectiveness is so obvious that it's hard to imagine anyone suggesting otherwise. It's why fences are being used in San Fran and a million other places.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Fences work. Locked doors work. Bank vaults work. None of them work perfectly, but their effectiveness is so obvious that it's hard to imagine anyone suggesting otherwise. It's why fences are being used in San Fran and a million other places.
    Along with armed guards. If someone wants to get past a fence, jimmy a door, or get into a bank vault, it can be -- and has been -- done.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 10:13 AM
    Yes, and yet people still lock doors because sensible people realize a 99.99% rate of effectiveness is much better than a 0% rate. Same is true of border fences. Bank vaults are occasionally defeated, and yet no sensible person suggests doing away with them. Likewise, sensible people understand that a border fence augmented with already existing armed patrols and already existing electronic surveillance would drastically reduce illegal crossings.

Now truthfully, you don't want that. I very much suspect you prefer the current liberal dem arrangement with millions of illegal immigrants crossing a year accompanied by a river of fentanyl, an small army of terrorists being planted and waiting for their time, and thousands of human beings trafficked for sad reasons. Sorry, but I don't find that to be acceptable. A substantial fence across most of the border is the only hope of stopping it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 10:42 AM
    What annoys me is that there was no preparation: no social services or medical services set up (even at the border), no job connections or training, no housing, no school connections and tutoring for children. I was very much involved during the arrival and settling in of Vietnamese back in the '70s. Our congregation "adopted" several families and helped them get established in their new country.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 10:55 AM
    Why should the American taxpayer be on the hook to provide those services to illegal immigrants? And how can those services be provided to people who are sneaking across illegally by the hundreds of thousands every month?

Note: The Vietnamese were not illegals and, since their arrival was anticipated, it would have been much easier to provide for them.

Follow the unusually clear-headed example of San Fran and build the wall.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 11:06 AM
    Follow the unusually clear-headed example of San Fran and build the wall.
    Walls that have been built have been scaled or burrowed under with little effort.

Why should the American taxpayer be on the hook to provide those services to illegal immigrants? And how can those services be provided to people who are sneaking across illegally by the hundreds of thousands every month?
    AT THE BORDER, the sheep should have been separated from the goats.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 11:11 AM
    Walls that have been built have been scaled or burrowed under with little effort.
    Oh? Give me an example of a wall that was "scaled or burrowed under" at anything even approaching the rate that people could have simply walked across. Such examples do not exist, as everyone here very well knows. When the West triumphed, thanks to Reagan, in the Cold War, they did not simply ignore the Berlin Wall and say, "Oh, you know that people just go over and under that wall by the millions anyway!" No, they tore the wall down because they knew full well that walls work.

AT THE BORDER, the sheep should have been separated from the goats.
    You do realize that both sheep and goats are presently simply sneaking across undetected by the hundreds of thousands, thus precluding the option of separating them?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 11:24 AM
    https://www.businessinsider.com/dona...ladders-2021-4

https://thehill.com/changing-america...sily-defeated/

And a good portion of the border has no wall at all.

Please stop being a bully. It doesn't look good on you
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 11:44 AM
    Give me an example of a wall that was "scaled or burrowed under" at anything even approaching the rate that people could have simply walked across.
    I asked that question. You replied with two completely irrelevant articles which had no comparision at all between numbers going over/under versus what would happen with no wall at all. The reason is simple. The dumbest person on the earth knows full well that walls slow down the rate of crossings enormously. Come on, WG. You are looking silly. "Robbers manage to open and rob bank vault!! Wondergirl calls for all banks to abandon vaults!!" Perhaps the solution would be to improve the vaults, or in this case to improve the wall?

A portion of the border has no wall? Well, I wonder what could be done about that?

I'll add this. Most of the wall, as best I could find, is 25 to 30 feet tall. Do I believe a 5 dollar ladder could scale that? No. It's an absurd notion.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 12:09 PM
    The wall as it exists so far can be walked around.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 01:05 PM
    It’s a great argument for why we need to finish it. Thank you. And it also shows that you know walls work since you agree they must be walked around.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 13, 2023, 01:38 PM
    And whatever wall is built, it will still be able to be walked or swum or boated around.
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 01:43 PM
    And still you obstinately overlook the main point. Wall aren't perfect. They don't stop all illegal crossing, but they slow it down enormously. A 95% success rate would be gloriously better than the inept process we have now. I would be thrilled to know we were stopping 95% of the fentanyl trafficking, an ongoing tragedy which seems to concern you not at all.

Complete the wall.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2023, 06:56 PM
    When the Dems hold conventions they put up fences ;herd protesters in them like cattle and call the area 'Free Speech zones"

Along with armed guards
    I'm betting Clueless Joe was happy armed guards were protecting his grand daughter .

Secret Service agents protecting Biden's granddaughter open fire when 3 people try to break into SUV | AP News
    Uber Member

Nov 13, 2023, 08:04 PM
    What a strange concept to have a freedom of speech "zone".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wind Load For Design Of Fences [ 0 Answers ]

Hi all I am going through this asce 7-05 and ibc codes for the design of 10'-0" high fence, but i am stuck in wind calculations. The stuff in code seems dont relate with the fence in any way, think code is all bout buildings. So is there anyone who can shed some idea about wind load calculations...

Horse not confident over fences [ 1 Answers ]

In late June, 2008 I perchased a 7 year old, 15.1h, paint, gelding. I've taken him to my lessons and to two shows (open shows) and he did great. However, when I try to jump him over some fences, he acts up. On the approach his pace isn't consistent. I try my hardest to keep him going straight and...

Superman dog jumping fences [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1 year old pit who has been nothing but a four legged turbo charged homewrecker. I can overlook the warzone in the backyard, and the destruction of every pair of underwear I have ever bought, but now he's becoming a neighborhood nuisance. He's dug under our fence and escaped so many...

Cat fences [ 1 Answers ]

First, let me say that I do not want to start an indoor/outdoor debate. Second, I want to say that I have no affiliation to any company I am going to mention. The following is simply my personal experience, which I am passing along for other people who have indoor/outdoor cats. I have a cat...

Fences over property lines for 20-30 years [ 1 Answers ]

Property lines and fences. Owner of vacant lot did not keep up property. Fences were put up to keep weeds and debri from comeing into ajoining lots. Our fence has been up for at least 20 years. In one place it is 1.55 feet over their property line in anther it is flush with the property line....

View more questions Search