Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Oct 12, 2023, 06:04 AM
    Can you count on Social Security or rather ....can they count ?
    The dopes at Social Security over paid $billions to retirees . Now they want it back.

the Social Security Administration is trying to get back billions of dollars it says it should not have ever paid.
    In most of these cases, the recipients had no way to know their Social Security payments were wrong, and in some cases, it was the government’s mistake.
    Hundreds of thousands of families are facing unexpected bills from government – WSB-TV Channel 2 - Atlanta (wsbtv.com)

During the 2022 fiscal year, the agency got $4.7 billion of overpayments returned , while another $21.6 billion remained outstanding,

The Social Security Administration’s Major Management and Performance Challenges During Fiscal Year 2022 (ssa.gov)

Now Congress will hold investigations
    In a news release from the U.S. House Ways and Means Committee, it said that will hold a hearing next week to “better identify improper payments before they occur and provide beneficiaries with adequate notice when they occur.”
    Congress to hold hearing following Channel 2 investigation into Social Security overpayments (msn.com)

The rub is that if SS doesn't get the money back ,it will hasten to the day when the Ponzi Scheme crashes and burns.

Congress should look to completely overhaul the system . The least fair way to extend it's life is to grab the $$ from cash strapped seniors.

The agency rejected a May 2022 Freedom of Information Act request for documentation of every overpayment notice sent over several years, and a March 2023 appeal is pending.
    Jack Smalligan of the Urban Institute, who has done research on Social Security, estimated that millions of people have received notices saying the agency overpaid them.
    Most are on disability, and many cannot afford to repay the government, Smalligan said.
    Billions In Social Security Overpayments To Disability Recipients; Seeks Repayment - LevittownNow.com

Check out some similar questions!

Do IRA distributions count as income as Social Security Wages? [ 6 Answers ]

I plan to retire at age 55, next year. I want to live on my IRA distribution and at 62 take early social security. ( I realize I can take a fixed monthly amount prior to age 59.5, as long as I take it for 5 years). I read that social security wages are limited until complete retirement, which...

I received a final judgment by defaul on count 1 on a 2 count lawsuit [ 0 Answers ]

1st count has been set by default On the second count my attorney told me that we have a trail date on Friday (nov 4th which I understood it was in front of a jury) somehow today he tells me we do not have the right to a jury trial What is the reason for this?

Do social security death benefits count towards Illinois medicaid eligibility? [ 1 Answers ]

Do social security death benefits count towards Illinois medicaid eligibility?

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.