Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 22, 2007, 11:12 AM
    Probation violation outcome
    Posted question about probation violation several weeks ago. Just want to give a quick update. I went to court for the revocation of probation hearing. The attorney I hired a few weeks before met me there... we talked then waited our turn. He went to talk with the probation officer making request for "revocation" then wanted to talk to me. He then told me he wanted $500 more. I was absolutely shocked. On our previous meeting he told me the first $500 would cover everything. He stated he made arrangements for me to pay $2000 that day toward restitution (he knew I had total of $2500) and he would take the other $500. Since we were moments from going before the judge I felt caught between a rock and a hard place. What could I do? I gave him the money. The probation officer dropped the request for revocation however she requested the judge admonish me. The judge told me that should I come before her again I could expect prison time. Basically she put the fear of God in me. I am very relieved to have this over with... but have anxiety over the next 4 yr of probation. Any slip and I go up the river. I do want to tell everyone here that I really appreciate everyone's support and advice. Hope I can provide the same support to others. Thanks. Cathy
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 22, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Hello again, bad:

Glad to year you remain among the free. Sorry you got ripped off, but at least he did something for his money.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 22, 2007, 12:44 PM
    Well you meet a real criminal attorney. But really not surprised, 500 dollars will not nromally get one into a court room, I have seen most in the 2000 to 5000 range to walk into a court room.

But in basis be glad you had 2500 or you would be sitting in jail today, an example what happens to people with no money
    1badchoice Posts: 227, Reputation: 45

Apr 22, 2007, 01:06 PM
    I agree, if I hadn't had money I would be sitting in jail. Ironically, the one who turned me in (my ex husband) gave me the money in exchange for him being able to claim our children as tax deductions. The lawyer originally told me $500 would cover everything but later changed it. Although some lawyers charge more... the several I called agreed to handle this matter for $500. He only showed up in court once to set trial then the second time to get the matter dropped. He got more than he deserved. Can't dwell on that... at least I am still free. Thank God.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Apr 25, 2007, 12:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1badchoice
    Although some lawyers charge more........the several I called agreed to handle this matter for $500. He only showed up in court once to set trial then the second time to get the matter dropped. He got more than he deserved. Can't dwell on that........at least I am still free. Thank God.
    Where I live, most attorneys start at $200-$250/hour. And they count driving time as billable hours. So assuming he spent a total of 3-4 hours (minimal research of records, phone time with you, meeting time with you, driving to the courthouse twice, court time), $1000 isn't an extreme amount.
    Danny89 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2007, 03:50 PM
    I have a friend a friend who found out today that his probation officer was switch to

Va from Md and when he called the Va officer he was told that he has 25 days to turn his

self in and that he will be sentence to 15 years for violation that he had no clue about is

that possible for someone to just get the 15 years and he
    didnt even know anything

about it
    Adolphin69 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:50 PM
    That really makes me feel good.. Hopefully they will do the same to my boyfriend and let him out of jail when he goes to court on the 17th. Wish me luck :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation violation [ 3 Answers ]

I got 18 monthes on probation in October 2005 in may of 2006 I got a owi I onley had eleven monthes of probation left. An I told my po in 48 houers an asked if there was any thing I can do to not be violated an she said she was going to talk to her boss an told me to call her back an I called her...

Probation violation? [ 3 Answers ]

Im in Florida, I'm on my 8th M. of a 1yr probation.I missed 2 appts. Last year. The 2nd time I was told I'd be violated if I missed 1 more. The officer seemed fair. Last week I missed an appt. they told me to come in on the 31st. My wife and I are concerned. I need to know if there's a list I can...

Probation Violation ? [ 2 Answers ]

I was doing well on probation for drug sales.Made it to mail in,had to report every third month.Got in trouble with CPS.failed a drug test with CPS.When time to report to PO.I got scared because of failed test with CPS.It's been 5 months since contact with PO of any kind.What am I looking at,and...

Probation violation [ 7 Answers ]

Dose any one know if a probation violation is filed when youer arrested for a new charge or after you plead quilty to the new charge ?

Probation violation [ 2 Answers ]

I've been on probation sense October 2005 in may 2005 I was arrested for owi I asked my po if there was any thing I could do to not be violated she said she was going to talk to her boss an to call her back she said I was not going to be violated as long as I went to drug an alcohole classes an I...

View more questions Search