Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 25, 2023, 01:34 PM
    Authority and Power
    Sometimes people use the terms Authority and Power (terms that are mentioned in the Bible) interchangeably; however, there are some differences between both. What are those differences?
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2023, 10:38 AM
    Really good question. I heard it taught one time that authority means having the legal right from a government, while power is the ability to overcome. So a cop has a badge which represents authority from the government, but also carries a gun which is the power to overcome the bad guys.

Matthew 9:6. But so that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins” —then He *said to the paralytic, “Get up, pick up your bed and go home.”

Romans 1:16. For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.

So in the case of the Christian, I would say our authority comes from the Word of God, and our power comes from the Holy Spirit.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2023, 11:36 AM
    A Canadian pastor friend asked me to help him write a Sunday sermon on authority vs. power. Here's the beginning of it:

"May grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God and of Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior. Amen.

Today I want to talk about authority and power -- their similarities and their differences.

I was born and raised in western New York State, near Buffalo. By the time I left home, I was at least 6 feet tall and weighed close to 200 pounds. My father was shorter than me and probably weighed at least 50 pounds less than me even when fully dressed and soaking wet. However, when I think back to those days of living at home with my parents, I learned what it meant to have authority. Even though I was taller, heavier, and younger than my father, I never questioned what he told me to do. Even if I wanted to argue about something, I’d do it inside my head because he had authority. I dare not argue! I had physical power and could probably take him in a fair fight, but my power was no match for his authority. His authority had absolutely nothing to do with his size. His authority had to do with his position as my father, my superior, the person in charge.

Here’s another example. Have you ever been shopping at, say, Walmart or some other big-box store? You idly meander up and down the aisles, now and then placing groceries and other merchandise into your cart? Then, behind you, you hear a child’s voice expressing serious unhappiness. “Mommy, candy. Want candy!” A frazzled-looking woman pushing a loaded cart with a little kid in the child seat speeds past you. That child is using its power to bump up against mom’s authority. Who will win?!

Most people might think of power and authority as the same thing. Actually, they are very different. So let’s define them and learn about them.

Authority has less to do with power and fear and more to do with influencing and motivating another person. A parent or a teacher or a sports coach or a work supervisor (to name a few) are in charge, are the authority. They motivate their children or students or players or employees to make good choices and decisions.

Another example is the police. They have authority that society respects and supports. If a driver sees the flashing lights of a police car that’s following him, he will pull over to the side of the road, stop, and wait to find out what’s wrong. If asked for it, the driver hands his driver’s license to the police officer. If the driver was going too fast, the policeman will probably write up a ticket. Realizing he was speeding, the driver doesn’t object. He knows the police have authority over how a person behaves while driving.

(However, if the driver is asked to do grocery shopping for the police officer, that driver has the power to refuse since the police have no authority to demand such a thing.)"

(To be continued, with bringing in Bible quotes and passages)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2023, 12:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    So a cop has a badge which represents authority from the government, but also carries a gun which is the power to overcome the bad guys.
    And the bad (or maybe good?) guys have guns that are the power to overcome the government.

So in the case of the Christian, I would say our authority comes from the Word of God, and our power comes from the Holy Spirit.
    Our power to sin and do evil comes from Satan.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Sep 30, 2023, 03:16 PM
    The only difference is that we might think we have the Power and Authority. Our likeness to such an understanding is False. All we need to know Is Jesus has All power and Authority. If you try to dissect it, you will run into an error.
    That's the thing with man, Satan, and God. We are all born under Adams Federalship...Also known as - Sin Nature.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2023, 03:35 PM
    I really want to see your scripture to support those ideas. So far there is too much "Thus sayeth Wondergirl".

And the bad (or maybe good?) guys have guns that are the power to overcome the government.
    Well...yeah. That would certainly be true. That's why we Christians need never fear having a lack of power. Our source is God.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 30, 2023, 03:41 PM
    So far there is too much "Thus sayeth Wondergirl".
    Huh? We are defining authority and power. They aren't the same thing.
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2023, 03:51 PM
    Huh? We are defining authority and power. They aren't the same thing.
    You are defining them according to your own preconceived ideas and not according to scripture, or at least not that anyone can see since you haven't seen fit to appeal to scripture.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 07:01 AM
    I thought this was your best point. "I had physical power and could probably take him in a fair fight, but my power was no match for his authority. His authority had absolutely nothing to do with his size (his power J.L.). His authority had to do with his position as my father, my superior, the person in charge."

I was thinking after reading your text that authority without power is useless for those unwilling to respect that authority. Power without authority becomes tyranny.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 04:02 PM
    It seems you've gone quiet again, but I am wondering how the sermon went.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2023, 04:42 PM
    It seems you've gone quiet again, but I am wondering how the sermon went.
    This sermon has been postponed.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 05:27 PM
    ]<: ]<: ]<:
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2023, 05:37 PM
    ]<: ]<: ]<:
    A very important congregation anniversary (LWML) needed to be observed and celebrated. Not to worry. We're working on the "appeal to Scripture", as you called it.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 06:15 PM
    Well, I'm happy for that, but shouldn't you start with the scriptures and then end with developing the sermon?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2023, 06:28 PM
    Well, I'm happy for that, but shouldn't you start with the scriptures and then end with developing the sermon?
    This was a rough draft. You are reminding me why I quit AMHD awhile ago.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 06:31 PM
    It was an innocent question. Toughen up, WG!!
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2023, 06:37 PM
    And excuse you? Of course, every sermon begins with a scripture reading. That wasn't the point of that post.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 06:49 PM
    I was going on this.
    We're working on the "appeal to Scripture", as you called it.
    Perhaps I misunderstood you, but it sure sounded like the Scripture was coming on the heels of the sermon. I am more and more using lots of scripture in my sermons. It's much more powerful than any thoughts of my own.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Oct 1, 2023, 07:33 PM
    It's much more powerful than any thoughts of my own.
    For sure. Think what will happen when they become thoughts of your own. I'm not sure we strive for that anymore. Believing the Scripture alone is all that is required. Simply speak the word with eloquence and there we have it. Trying to convince others with a simple breath. I really dislike it when Preachers constantly refer to themselves as an example of God's word.
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 07:38 PM
    Of course, every sermon begins with a scripture reading.
    Great! What scripture is this one going to begin with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authority over wife [ 1 Answers ]

Assalamo Alaikum I am 26 and married for one year. I have read various ahadith and learnt that men should be kind to their wives and would do most to make her happy. I need to know if I am committing a sin by asking my wife not to stay at her parents house. She visits her parents once in a week...

Administrative authority [ 3 Answers ]

I recently acquired a used corporate computer. I need to install an anti-virus software package. An error message indicating "administrative authority needed to install new software". Can this be by-passed or corrected? Thanks, JDB007

Probation authority [ 3 Answers ]

If I am on probation for a DWI and my probation officer will not allow me to take the medication that I have a prescription for... Is that legal?

View more questions Search