Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2023, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Great! What scripture is this one going to begin with?
    We had several. Then the assignment changed to a different sermon.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Oct 1, 2023, 07:52 PM
    Considering that you had several, could you not simply toss out a couple of them? What were you considering?
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Oct 1, 2023, 08:10 PM
    Of course, every sermon begins with a scripture reading.
    Is that what you're going to go with? Is it any better...better than having the reading embedded within the sermon?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 1, 2023, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    Is that what you're going to go with? Is it any better...better than having the reading embedded within the sermon?
    My idea was to start with the "situation" and then jog to a supporting Bible passage. And so on.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2023, 04:10 AM
    That can work fine as long as the core idea of the sermon is settled solidly upon Scripture. Sometimes people come up with the core message first, and then look around for Bible scriptures to support it. That is the backwards approach I referred to earlier. It's why I prefer to begin by saying something to the effect of, "Turn in your Bibles this morning to 2 Cor. 10:12. I want to speak to you on the subject of becoming an influence for Christ in your corner of the world." It's good discipline for me and keeps me from simply preaching my own ideas of life. It allows for scripture to not just support, but to "give birth" to the sermon.
    Uber Member

Oct 2, 2023, 05:11 AM
    WG, here's a suggestion. I Peter 2:19-3:3.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Authority over wife [ 1 Answers ]

Assalamo Alaikum I am 26 and married for one year. I have read various ahadith and learnt that men should be kind to their wives and would do most to make her happy. I need to know if I am committing a sin by asking my wife not to stay at her parents house. She visits her parents once in a week...

Administrative authority [ 3 Answers ]

I recently acquired a used corporate computer. I need to install an anti-virus software package. An error message indicating "administrative authority needed to install new software". Can this be by-passed or corrected? Thanks, JDB007

Probation authority [ 3 Answers ]

If I am on probation for a DWI and my probation officer will not allow me to take the medication that I have a prescription for... Is that legal?

View more questions Search