Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2023, 11:36 AM
    One man sees the light.
    Dallas mayor has decided to become a repub.

The mayor of one of the largest cities in the U.S. announced in a Friday op-ed that he is leaving the Democratic Party and becoming a Republican.
    In a Wall Street Journal op-ed with the headline "America’s Cities Need Republicans, and I’m Becoming One," Dallas Mayor Eric Johnson explains that he is leaving the Democratic Party because "the future of America’s great urban centers depends on the willingness of the nation’s mayors to champion law and order and practice fiscal conservatism."
    "Our cities desperately need the genuine commitment to these principles (as opposed to the inconsistent, poll-driven commitment of many Democrats) that has long been a defining characteristic of the GOP," Johnson wrote.
    He sure has the underlined part correct. He'll have to forgive me for wondering if there is some ulterior motive. Political self-preservation??

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dal...ed-republicans
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 22, 2023, 03:34 PM
    He'll have to forgive me for wondering if there is some ulterior motive. Political self-preservation??
    He needed to be a Dem to win in Dallas. Now he needs to be a Repub to seek statewide office. He is in the final year of his term and I predict will not seek reelection.
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2023, 02:33 AM
    I have been mayor of Dallas for more than four years. During that time, my priority has been to make the city safer, stronger and more vibrant. That meant saying no to those who wanted to defund the police. It meant fighting for lower taxes and a friendlier business climate. And it meant investing in family friendly infrastructure such as better parks and trails.
    That approach is working. Alone among America’s 10 most populous cities, Dallas has brought violent crime down in every major category, including murder, year-over-year for the past two years. In a recent Gallup poll asking Americans to rate the safety of major cities, Dallas came out on top. We have also reduced our property tax rate every year since I took office, signaling to investors that Dallas intends to remain the nation’s most pro-business city. This philosophy has helped attract growing small businesses and several Fortune 500 companies, including Goldman Sachs, the construction-engineering firm Aecom and the global commercial real-estate outfit
    CBRE
    .After these wins for the people of Dallas—and after securing 98.7% of the vote in my re-election campaign this year—I have no intention of changing my approach to my job. But today I am changing my party affiliation. Next spring, I will be voting in the Republican primary. When my career in elected office ends in 2027 on the inauguration of my successor as mayor, I will leave office as a Republican.
    I realize this will come as a surprise to many. During the decade I spent serving my hometown in the Texas House of Representatives, I was a Democrat in a Republican-controlled Legislature. I prided myself on finding common-sense solutions and worked closely with my conservative colleagues to improve policing, public education and water infrastructure. I was never a favorite of the Democratic caucus, and the feeling was mutual. By the time I was elected mayor—a nonpartisan office—in 2019, I was relieved to be free from hyperpartisanship and ready to focus on solving problems.
    But I don’t believe I can stay on the sidelines any longer. I have always tried to be honest and say what I think is right for my city. The future of America’s great urban centers depends on the willingness of the nation’s mayors to champion law and order and practice fiscal conservatism. Our cities desperately need the genuine commitment to these principles (as opposed to the inconsistent, poll-driven commitment of many Democrats) that has long been a defining characteristic of the GOP.
    In other words, American cities need Republicans—and Republicans need American cities. When my political hero Theodore Roosevelt was born, only 20% of Americans lived in urban areas. By the time he was elected president, that share had doubled to 40%. Today, it stands at 80%. As America’s cities go, so goes America.

Unfortunately, many of our cities are in disarray. Mayors and other local elected officials have failed to make public safety a priority or to exercise fiscal restraint. Most of these local leaders are proud Democrats who view cities as laboratories for liberalism rather than as havens for opportunity and free enterprise.
    Too often, local tax dollars are spent on policies that exacerbate homelessness, coddle criminals and make it harder for ordinary people to make a living. And too many local Democrats insist on virtue signaling—proposing half-baked government programs that aim to solve every single societal ill—and on finding new ways to thumb their noses at Republicans at the state or federal level. Enough. This makes for good headlines, but not for safer, stronger, more vibrant cities.
    In the coming years, I will continue to pursue my three-pronged goal for Dallas: to become the safest major city in America with the best park system in Texas and the lowest taxes in our fast-growing North Texas region.
    And I intend to keep the promise I made to Dallas voters in 2019 and refrain from endorsing candidates seeking partisan political office while I am mayor. This is about promoting policies and principles, not personalities and politicians.
    Still, with my change in party affiliation, I recognize that the number of Republican mayors leading the nation’s 10 largest cities has increased from zero to one. This is hardly a red wave. But it is clear that the nation and its cities have reached a time for choosing. And the overwhelming majority of Americans who call our cities home deserve to have real choices—not “progressive” echo chambers—at city hall.
    Mr. Johnson, a Republican, is mayor of Dallas.

Mayor Eric Johnson: America’s Cities Need Republicans, and I’m Becoming One - WSJ
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2023, 05:06 AM
    The question is will Eric Adams follow Eric Johnson out of the Democrat Party plantation ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Italy sees the light [ 29 Answers ]

Italy has seen the light they will block entry to migrant rescue ships, they have realised that the only way to stem the flow is not to allow the migrants to land. As they pile up in Libyan ports a better solution will have to be found, but they will not be drowning because the people smugglers...

My 3 yr old sees a ghost [ 16 Answers ]

My 3yr old was talking to me about a boy an I asked him where is he and he pointed at an empty spot so I told him there's nothing there and he kept insisting there was so I asked is he your friend ? Does he play with you ?and he said yes and I asked how did he look like and he told me he had spikes...

Four Year Old Asking for Everything She Sees [ 9 Answers ]

Hi all, it's been so long. I'll be sure to jump in the chatty forums. Anywhozzils, Lately my four year old has been asking for everything she sees, on t.v. whatever other little kids have, books, movies--- really anything. I used to give her the "Oh okay ". Now she just won't stop asking...

Looking for new clients over sees [ 2 Answers ]

We are looking for new business contacts overseas. My company makes Metal structure with upholstry fabric beds. We are a Portuguese company looking for new business partners, where do I start looking? I appreciate the help. Thanks

Just sees me as a friend [ 7 Answers ]

I have known this girl for a number of years now, and have recently realised that I have strong feelings for her and would like to be more than friends. We are pretty good friends, meet up for lunch often and hang out together. I told her how I felt about her, but she said that she was surprised...

View more questions Search