Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2023, 06:01 AM
    Journalism Competition and Preservation Act of 2023
    So the compliant press got caught red handed colluding with the deep state to censor content . Now they want a deal that exempts them from any penalty associated with being the official government censors. In return for their services they want a government bailout .
    Thus was born the 'Journalism Competition and Preservation Act' .
    Last September a clearly bipartisan Deep State Senate advanced the bill from the Senate Judiciary committee 15-7

The bill would create an antitrust exemption for the compliant press enabling them to band together as “joint negotiation entities” to demand payment from the likes of Meta's Fakebook and Google for links to and previews of their publications. If they can't reach an agreement with the platform, they could force independent arbitration to set the payment level.Big tech would be forced to pay to subsidize journalists

The ACLU is joining Speaker McCarthy in opposition to this bill.

The First Amendment protects a platform’s ability to choose what content it carries. However, the JCPA enables a news organization to force a platform to display their content merely by joining a negotiating entity. By effectively compelling platforms to host the content of a news organization that joins a given negotiating entity, this legislation violates the First Amendment. The bill also harms the very concepts it intends to protect. Rather than increase support for local journalism and reduce news deserts, the JCPA will limit the public’s access to news, and jeopardize the free and open internet that is vital to modern society.
    “The JCPA is harmful to anyone who values access to information, free speech, and a free and open internet,” said Jenna Leventoff, senior policy counsel for the ACLU. “We thank Speaker McCarthy for continuing to do his part to protect these vital components of democracy by committing to block the JCPA from passing through the House.”
    ACLU Opposes Journalism Bill That Would Harm Press Freedoms and Free Speech Online | American Civil Liberties Union

This line about it protecting local news organizations is BS. This is all about controlling content by a government subsidized news cartel.

It is dangerous and I'm frankly shocked that the likes of Senators like Ted Cruz and John Kenndy have signed onto the bill.

The sneaky bass turds have attached it as an amendment to defense approroriations .
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2023, 06:14 AM
    Wouldn't Facebook or Google be able to simply decline to carry the content?
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2023, 06:57 AM
    Fakebook threatened that if the bill is passed.But how would it impact their business if they did not include content from essentially a news cartel ? People who go to the site for it's news content would go elsewhere .
    Uber Member

Sep 17, 2023, 11:55 AM
    I completely agree with you that the legislation is a bad idea, but I don't know that many people go to FB for its news content. Even at that, they could very easily develop their own news channel. And yes, that's a chilling thought.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2023, 03:37 AM
    This wil shock you then.

When it comes to where Americans regularly get news on social media, Facebook outpaces all other social media sites. Roughly a third of U.S. adults (31%) say they regularly get news from Facebook.
    Social Media and News Fact Sheet | Pew Research Center
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2023, 04:49 AM
    Yet another reason to be concerned about our country.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is business competition becoming more like the model of perfect competition? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: Consider the discussion below between Kriss and Naz. KRISS: With the growth of on-line shopping, price comparison websites and falling prices for many consumer goods in recent years, I think business competition is becoming more like the economic model of perfect competition. NAZ:...

How do you get Into Journalism. [ 4 Answers ]

First of all, Hello. My name is Jack and I am 12. When I am older I would like to be a Sports Journalist ( Soccer) I think I have what it takes and I have a very broad knowledge of Soccer. But I am not to sure about how to get into the industry.. This year in yr 7 I just got my report and noticed...

View more questions Search