Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 02:46 PM
    I know what cherry-picking is. I once posted about 40 passages which all showed a coming judgment from God. It probably included more than a hundred verses. Your simplistic solution was to dismiss that tidal wave of Scripture as cherry-picking, thus showing that you didn't know what the term meant, or (more likely in my view) that you were willing to use it to try to dismiss a very clearly taught doctrine of the Bible with which you disagreed. And with that you certainly should be shocked.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 02:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I know what cherry-picking is. I once posted about 40 passages which all showed a coming judgment from God. It probably included more than a hundred verses. Your simplistic solution was to dismiss that tidal wave of Scripture as cherry-picking, thus showing that you didn't know what the term meant, or (more likely in my view) that you were willing to use it to try to dismiss a very clearly taught doctrine of the Bible with which you disagreed. And with that you certainly should be shocked.
    Sooooo, your definition of cherry-picking is....
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 02:56 PM
    Cherry picking is when a person chooses a relative handful of textual examples which seem to support his/her assertion, but which present an understanding that does not agree with a great body of evidence which contradicts that idea. In other words, they are taken out of the greater context. Selecting dozens of examples can scarcely be referred to as "cherry picking". It is easy to refute that practice by simply appealing to many other passages which show a clearly different perspective.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 03:05 PM
    Cherry picking is when a person chooses a relative handful of textual examples which seem to support his/her assertion, but which present an understanding that does not agree with a great body of evidence which contradicts that idea. In other words, they are taken out of the greater context. Selecting dozens of examples can scarcely be referred to as "cherry picking". It is easy to refute that practice by simply appealing to many other passages which show a clearly different perspective.
    That's not what cherry-picking is.
    waltero Posts: 620, Reputation: 5

Sep 24, 2023, 03:49 PM
    @JL - I understand what you are getting at. You are really good at quoting Bible verses, what good has it done for WG? I could Quote Bible verses all day long (if I research and find. I know it is in there) and she still wouldn't believe. It is clear to me that WG doesn't believe the Bible is inerrant. As well as her belief that God is fallible.

It makes no sense. We understand Adam and Eve as having "free will" before the fall...that is perfectly clear. After the Fall there is no more "free will." Adam's "Free will" was spent....along with all of humanity's supposed free will. People ask (they don't understand) how did Adam ruin it for all of us. Or, I had no choice, I was born in sin. Yes, that is right. We have no choice being that Adam chose sin over life. To this day some people choose sin over life...how can that be? Well, I wasn't given a chance to choose, no you weren't, and neither was I. Salvation was for the Jew. Thank God for mercy, he provided for the gentile as well. Not that we chose him, but he chose to include us. Yes WG, we have a choice, we can choose either or, but it's not that simple (had Adam chosen wisely, it might have remained as simple as a choice between doing good or bad) anymore. Choosing only gets a person so far. Believing is the real clincher. It's not up to you. You don't have to choose. You're lost if you believe it comes down to [your] choice.

Most of what I say is adlib. It should be considered for cause. The premise is true though. God created the entire universe and everything in it, you don't think he knows Sin? Jesus knew sin the same as God (wholly and entirely). Do you actually think Jesus could ever want a taste of sin? It would have been impossible for Jesus to sin. He picked up sin held it in the palm of his hand and rendered it irrelevant. Sin is no longer an issue.

You two go off on your little tangent. I've said enough.
    Bye for now.

Only Jesus knows.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 04:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    @JL - I understand what you are getting at. You are really good at quoting Bible verses, what good has it done for WG? I could Quote Bible verses all day long (if I research and find. I know it is in there) and she still wouldn't believe. It is clear to me that WG doesn't believe the Bible is inerrant. As well as her belief that God is fallible.
    You make me laugh. I've had over 50 more years of Bible study than you have -- Christian grade school, two Christian colleges, neighborhood Bible studies, Sunday School and Bible class (as a student and later as a teacher), plus being a PK. It's interesting to read what Bible-believers say about someone they don't like.

And yes, Jesus could have sinned. After all, He was fully human as well as fully divine.

Sep 24, 2023, 04:21 PM
    And yes, Jesus could have sinned. After all, He was fully human as well as fully God.
    I'll put it to you in a different way; Could the Messiah have ever sinned - ["yes."] God promised a savior that was without sin, aka Messiah. Are you saying God is a liar? If God promised a savior without sin, that savior would be sinless, meaning it would have been impossible for Jesus, the messiah to sin. Or you might just think God makes promises and simply rolls the dice hoping somebody would come along, that he could use, and be faithful and not sin.
    Somebody they don't like.
    Who on here is not to like?
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 04:22 PM
    That's not what cherry-picking is.
    Sorry, but it is.

Walter, I get your point about quoting the Bible not being persuasive with some people. I have just gotten into that habit for three reasons. 1. It's an appeal to the best source possible. 2. It does sway some people. 3. It helps me understand my own POV better.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 04:37 PM
    Walter, I get your point about quoting the Bible not being persuasive with some people. I have just gotten into that habit for three reasons. 1. It's an appeal to the best source possible. 2. It does sway some people. 3. It helps me understand my own POV better.
    Now, please do some Bible quoting to set waltero straight, especially regarding Post #147.

Sep 24, 2023, 04:51 PM
    The phrase "even the stones would cry out" is a biblical reference from Luke 19:40. Jesus used this phrase to tell his disciples that if they were to keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out. By this expression, Jesus meant that it was impossible for it to be otherwise.
    Don't you get it? If it is written then even the stones would cry out.

I'd ask A few questions, but I know WG doesn't answer questions being that she feels she'd be getting set up.

WG, Why would you consider my statement (having to do with your belief) to be directed toward hatred? You just stated that Jesus/God was subject to sin. and you have always claimed that man has interfered with Bible text. So why be bothered by such a statement?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 04:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by waltero View Post
    The phrase "even the stones would cry out" is a biblical reference from Luke 19:40. Jesus used this phrase to tell his disciples that if they were to keep silent, the stones would immediately cry out. By this expression, Jesus meant that it was impossible for it to be otherwise.
    Don't you get it? If it is written then even the stones would cry out.
    You misunderstand that passage.

I'd ask A few questions, but I know WG doesn't answer questions being that she feels she'd be getting set up.
    Ask away!

WG, Why would you consider my statement (having to do with your belief) to be directed toward hatred?
    Hatred? I never said that.

You just stated that Jesus/God was subject to sin. and you have always claimed that man has interfered with Bible text. So why be bothered by such a statement?
    Huh? I said "man has interfered with Bible text"?
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 05:22 PM
    Just about right.

Now, please do some Bible quoting to set waltero straight, especially regarding Post #147.
    Here's the post.

I'll put it to you in a different way; Could the Messiah have ever sinned - ["yes."] God promised a savior that was without sin, aka Messiah. Are you saying God is a liar? If God promised a savior without sin, that savior would be sinless, meaning it would have been impossible for Jesus, the messiah to sin. Or you might just think God makes promises and simply rolls the dice hoping somebody would come along, that he could use, and be faithful and not sin.
    That's actually quite a dilemma. Could the Son of God have sinned? I don't think so, but I've never really studied it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 05:34 PM
    Just about right.
    Getting set up isn't the problem.
    You picked this horse. Now you got to ride it.
    Am watching the new cartoon on Fox, "Krapopolis". Will delve into this after the cartoon is over.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 06:00 PM
    Getting set up isn't the problem.
    I think it is. You see a danger in answering honestly and so you just avoid it.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 06:14 PM
    I think it is. You see a danger in answering honestly and so you just avoid it.
    Not at all. I just get tired of being attacked every time I respond. I'm guessing it's because I'm female and "don't know my place".

No reason to insult. Let's just put our heads together and stay on/discuss the topic.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 06:19 PM
    Not at all. I just get tired of being attacked every time I respond.
    No one is attacking you, but we do probe as we certainly should. You should as well. That's how discussions are done.

I'm guessing it's because I'm female and "don't know my place".
    Or maybe it's because that on those occasions when you do answer, your answers warrant further questioning. Might add that you have no idea how tired we men get at having to read that kind of thinking.

No reason to insult. Let's just put our heads together and stay on/discuss the topic.
    No reason to insult? You mean like, "Like that peanut butter commercial, you're full of it like Ludacris is."
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 24, 2023, 06:47 PM
    The topic is shoved aside while I am put down, am scolded, am insulted.

Ludacrus is full of Jif.
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2023, 06:49 PM
    Show me an example of when that has happened.

is it possible that it’s your reasoning and thinking that are being questioned?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Afterlife and about spirits [ 6 Answers ]

Why do I feel spirits and not see the? Why do they come when I'm sleeping? What does it mean when I can't move,cant speak, heart beats fast and my eyes role back?

I want to know if there is shopping in the afterlife? [ 4 Answers ]

I know that when I fall asleep at night, I visit the astral world. Sometimes, I am hanging out with deceased friends by swimming and exploring areas of the this world. One thing that baffles me is that I see shops and restaurants that I enter with my friends. They sit down to eat or shop but I can...

Is there an afterlife? [ 54 Answers ]

Do you believe in a life after death? Even if you do not,if there was the remotest possibility that a life after death existed,what will you willingly give up or struggle to do in order to be happy in the next life? I do believe in an afterlife(as most of you who know me has already heard...

In the afterlife [ 1 Answers ]

This song comes on at the end of the movie DEAD MAN on CAMPUS. I've search for it everywhere, it is NOT on the soundtrack and I saw no credit for it as the movie ended. Help it's a great song

Afterlife [ 3 Answers ]

What does seeing a deceased loved one in another form mean?

View more questions Search