Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2023, 12:43 PM
    Get smashed
    Watch the Republican debate tonight and take a shot of your favorite drink when a participant (moderator or debater) mentions Donald Trump. I bet you will have to call in sick tomorrow.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2023, 03:47 PM
    Not so fast, Tom my friend. The Biden administration is considering putting the locks on this idea of Americans thinking we have freedom. They are talking about placing limits on alcohol usage. Isn't it a strange concept that the idea of bodily autonomy means a woman can have an abortion, but cannot put three beers a week into that same body.

President Biden's alcohol czar says Americans may be told by officials to have no more than two beers a week.
    Director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) George Koob told the Daily Mail on Thursday that the U.S. may follow Canada's footsteps on alcohol guidelines.
    https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bid...beers-two-week
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2023, 06:07 PM
    I think I'll abstain for a couple of months and then go on a bender
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2023, 07:04 PM
    Not too sure you can save up your two weekly tokens. I'll have to check on that one. (<;
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2023, 04:00 AM
    Strict following of Federal guidelines leads to a miserable existence.

Not only that ;you can go years following things like the food pyramid and then see the government suddenly invert it . 6 to 11 servings of starch per day.... GONE !

Look what happened to the recommendation to take an aspirin.

Daily aspirin no longer recommended to prevent heart disease | UCLA Health

They are going by Lancet's study that basically says that no alcohol is healthy .

Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990–2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016 - The Lancet

That may be true from a strict chemical calculation. But it misses the point. Humans would not have civilization if not for the shared inebriation.

Look at this review of the book 'Drunk: How We Sipped, Danced, and Stumbled Our Way to Civilization'

. Drawing on evidence from archaeology, history, cognitive neuroscience, psychopharmacology, social psychology, literature, and genetics, Drunk shows that our taste for chemical intoxicants is not an evolutionary mistake, as we are so often told. In fact, intoxication helps solve a number of distinctively human challenges: enhancing creativity, alleviating stress, building trust, and pulling off the miracle of getting fiercely tribal primates to cooperate with strangers. Our desire to get drunk, along with the individual and social benefits provided by drunkenness, played a crucial role in sparking the rise of the first large-scale societies. We would not have civilization without intoxication.
    Drunk — Edward Slingerland

And of course if you look you can always find another credible scientific study that disputes published scientific results . That's how science REALLY works .
    Infrequent, light, and moderate alcohol consumption were inversely associated with mortality from all causes, CVD, chronic lower respiratory tract diseases, Alzheimer’s disease, and influenza and pneumonia. Light or moderate alcohol consumption might also have a beneficial effect on mortality from diabetes mellitus and nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, or nephrosis.
    Alcohol consumption and all-cause and cause-specific mortality among US adults: prospective cohort study | BMC Medicine | Full Text (biomedcentral.com)

The really question is why do the nannies of government think it even useful to publish guidelines ? Adults can make informed decisions without their guidelines and ultimately their rules.
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2023, 05:43 AM
    The really question is why do the nannies of government think it even useful to publish guidelines ?
    They have all these piles of tax monies lying around unused, so they feel they should spend it on something.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Smashed finger [ 9 Answers ]

So over 48 hours ago I smashed my finger in the window, 3/4 of my nail is black under the nail (assuming that's blood) and the base of my nail is swollen and very sore and the under side of the tip of my finger is bruised and swollen. Is it too late for a doctor to drain my finger or help me? I...

Smashed finger [ 3 Answers ]

A month ago I slammed my middle finger in the door a blister formed next to the nail and the nail turned purple right away. I did not poke the nail and squeeze like in the past, but did poke the blister and relieved the pressure there. Now the nail appears green and it is separating from the...

Smashed finger [ 1 Answers ]

My 2 year old smashes finger really bad. I don't think it's broken. It's a little swollen and it looks like there's liquid coming out from his nail.

My Dog Either Broke Or Smashed Hind Leg [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering what I should do for my dog. My heavy sliding gate fell over on one of my dog back legs. When he stands, It kind of hangs from the ankle and foot area. It looks smashed it that one spot, with swelling around it. What can I do to treat him before I get him to the vet. I...

View more questions Search