Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2023, 01:27 PM
    Catholics need not apply
    The Gay marriage SCOTUS decision Obergefell v. Hodges w​as championed as a victory for people who believed in 'live and let live'

But it has turned out to be nothing of the kind. It is more of a tool for the intolerant left against Christian

This makes the dissent by Samuel Alito prophetic. He wrote ;
    Today’s decision usurps the constitutional right of the people to decide whether to keep or alter the traditional understanding of marriage. The decision will also have other important consequences.
     It will be used to vilify Americans who are unwilling to assent to the new orthodoxy. In the course of its opinion, the majority compares traditional marriage laws to laws that denied equal treatment for African-Americans and women. E.g., ante, at 11–13. The implications of this analogy will be exploited by those who are determined to stamp out every vestige of dissent.
     Perhaps recognizing how its reasoning may be used, the majority attempts, toward the end of its opinion, to reassure those who oppose same-sex marriage that their rights of conscience will be protected. Ante, at 26–27.We will soon see whether this proves to be true. I assume that those who cling to old beliefs will be able to whisper their thoughts in the recesses of their homes, but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such by governments, employers, and schools.

OBERGEFELL v. HODGES | Supreme Court | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute (cornell.edu)

Let me introduce Michael and Kitty Burke. They are a loving Catholic couple who applied to adopt through the State of Massachusetts's Department of Children and Families. He is an Iraq war Marine vet .She 's a former paraprofessional for kids with special needs.
    Their application should be a slam dunk. They placed no restrictions .They would adopt any race ,religion or a special needs child. They are active Catholic participants ;attend services regularly and do volunteer work

But the question came up about LGBTQ++xyz .It was noted that “their faith is not supportive and neither are they.” AND “would not be affirming to a child who identified as LGBTQIA”

Their application was rejected .

They have filed a 1st amendment religious freedom lawsuit.

Massachusetts couple denied foster care application over LGBTQ views, complaint says (nbcnews.com)

Burke v. Walsh - Becket (becketlaw.org)

So who was right ?

J
    ustice Kennedy in his majority opinion wrote that those who opposed gay marriage did so based on “decent and honorable” premises, and that their First Amendment rights still stand.

OR

Justice Alito who wrote.“but if they repeat those views in public, they will risk being labeled as bigots and treated as such .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 15, 2023, 02:37 PM
    Adoptive parents aren't required to adopt any child the agency hands them. And there's always (at least, used to be) a trial period.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2023, 03:28 PM
    He is an Iraq war Marine vet .She 's a former paraprofessional for kids with special needs.
    I see their mistake right away. They foolishly believed that being a war vet and a well-trained child care professional would carry some weight. Wrong!!! What they SHOULD have done was to have the man go in wearing the wig and the gargantuan breast prosthesis of the guy from Wisconsin. Then the state bureaucrats in charge of adoption would have welcomed them as being ideal Massachusetts examples of adoptive parents.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2023, 04:19 PM
    Adoptive parents aren't required to adopt any child the agency hands them. And there's always (at least, used to be) a trial period.
    They were willing to adopt any child .They were denied adoption based on their religious beliefs .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roman Catholics and IVF [ 44 Answers ]

This story has been on the news all morning - Teacher Claims Catholic School Fired Her Over IVF - Indiana News Story - WRTV Indianapolis I am hearing that a teacher in a Roman Catholic school was fired because she and her husband are attempting to get pregnant with a second child using IVF,...

One ? For Catholics [ 52 Answers ]

When I started my truck for work the other morning one of the stations that my sat radio goes over is Catholic radio. Anyhow while I was waiting for my sat radio to power up I was listening to one of the more famous Catholic prayers. Hail Mary full of grace etc. It got me to thinking, is this...

About Catholics and Statues [ 104 Answers ]

I've been wondering about this for some time now... Why do Catholics have statues of virgins, of a man on the cross representing Jesus when God said that we should not praise idols? Because that's how I see, it, idols! The Israeli once made a golden cow to represent God, and He was not pleased...

Christians and catholics [ 27 Answers ]

Some people say that christians and catholics are very similar, but they do divide because of some major doctrinal issues. Such as mass or eucharist. Catholics believe that when we take communion that the wafer actually becomes the body of jesus and the wine or juice or whatever is used becomes...

Catholics [ 4 Answers ]

Do catholic beliefs differ from one another ?

View more questions Search