Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2023, 09:04 AM
    How dare you try to stop shoplifting!
    A King Soopers employee (Santino Burrola) in Colorado was fired after he filmed three men stealing $500 worth of laundry detergent. The man simply filmed three men stealing from the store and loading it all into a car. He managed to get the tag on film as well. For all of this he got fired. Does it surprise anyone that this occurred in Colorado? I wonder if the three men will be charged with anything? Probably not, I suppose.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...rs-fathers-day
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 8, 2023, 09:16 AM
    Technically, the offense of theft (shop lifting) hasn't occurred until the perps leave the property without any intention of paying for the goods.
    This simple fact is often overlooked by store rent-a-cops and the muppets in blue....
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2023, 10:35 AM
    I get your point, but am not sure how it applies to this situation. They took 500 dollars worth of merchandise out to a car without paying for it, loaded it up, and then drove off. Seems fairly clear, doesn't it? I don't think the three of them will be able to say, "Your honor, we just forgot that we hadn't paid for 500 dollars worth of products when we simply walked out with it."
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 8, 2023, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I get your point, but am not sure how it applies to this situation. They took 500 dollars worth of merchandise out to a car without paying for it, loaded it up, and then drove off. Seems fairly clear, doesn't it?
    For sure, so why'd the fire the guy who got the evidence, I guess they were expecting him to interject himself into the action....
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2023, 11:28 AM
    Great question. They claimed he violated their policy of employees not trying to stop shoplifters. I'm sure he would say he was simply gathering evidence. It's just the usual soft approach to crime that we have adopted in many places here.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 8, 2023, 11:39 AM
    For purported safety reasons many stores instruct employees to ignore or not interfere in an act of shoplifting .

There have been a number of similar incidents around the country where good Samaritans doing the right thing have been disciplined or fired for attempting to stop retail theft. This emboldens the foot soldiers that the retail theft gangs employ to plunder and sack businesses .

Lululemon Backlash After Firing Staff Who Stopped Thieves: 'Woke Go Broke' (newsweek.com)

Circle K clerk fired after shoplifter steals pack of cigarettes sues company (nypost.com)

Big Lots manager says she was fired for following shoplifter out of store to get store's cart back | Daily Mail Online

For the stores it is a matter of $$$$ . It is cheaper for them to lose the merchandize than to have to pay for the medical treatment if an employee gets injured intervening .
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2023, 01:09 PM
    This was priceless. I wonder what this guy told his friends? "Those crazy people just ignored me! How am I supposed to rob a place when they just ignore me?"

https://www.foxnews.com/us/robber-at...-being-ignored
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2023, 06:26 AM
    This morning there is a report from a California mall that another retail store was ransacked by vandals and thief's .
    Dozens of thieves ransack Nordstrom at Canoga Park mall – Daily News

Major crime is out of control in Gavin Newsom's California .
    It is so bad that the city of Oakland is now suggesting residents to carry air horns for protection (No this is not Babylon Bee)

Air Horns of Horror: Oakland Police Recommend Noise Makers Amid (hoodline.com)

I guess if you get close enough you can blast out the bad guy's ear drums .

(This is the Babylon Bee)

The Bee of course has come up with a great modification ;Air horns attached to AR-15 rifles .

"Criminals trying to stab and rob you will briefly cover their ears and wince in discomfort before they resume stabbing and robbing you. Get yours today!"

Colt Releases New Airhorn Modification For AR-15 | Babylon Bee
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2023, 07:42 AM
    And yet amazingly, Newsom is thought to be a candidate for pres for the dems.
    Uber Member

Aug 17, 2023, 03:22 PM
    Warning to all criminals in the LA area. The city government has gotten REALLY mad and have decided to take the following action. LA leaders have announced a regional retail crime task force following a spate of viral flash mob robberies.

"What we’ve seen over just the past week in the city of Los Angeles and in the cities and area surrounding us is unacceptable," Bass said in announcing the regional, multi-agency Organized Retail Crimes Task Force.
    "No Angeleno should feel like it is not safe to go shopping in Los Angeles. No entrepreneur should feel like it’s not safe to open a business in Los Angeles," the mayor said, noting that retail theft is not a victimless crime.
    Bass and law enforcement leaders vowed to catch those responsible and hold them responsible.
    Earth to Mayor Bass. Where have you been the past few years as crime and the invasion of the homeless has been accelerating? So just now you have decided to take action? I hope it all goes well, but somehow I doubt that it will.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/l...-mob-robberies
    Ultra Member

Aug 24, 2023, 04:25 AM
    Retail stocks are falling like rocks.Much of that can be attributed to softer consumer demand. (consumers are running out of the covid gimmees ) .
    But the reason that must not be named is theft ;or as the retail bosses call it "shrinkage")

Target CEO Brian Cornell said "Shrink in the second quarter remained consistent with our expectations but well above the sustainable level where we expect to operate over time,"

Retail theft: Walmart, Home Depot, Target detail 'unacceptable amount' of crime (yahoo.com)

Walmart US CEO John Furner echoed that sentiment, saying: "Shrink has increased a bit this year. It increased last year. It's uneven across the country."
    Retail theft weighed profit margins too. Just ask Home Depot.
    "In the second quarter, our gross margin was 33%, a decrease of 8 basis points from the second quarter last year, primarily driven by pressure from shrink," Home Depot CFO Richard McPhail said on the earnings call. "Shrink has been a consistent pressure over the last several quarters and even the last few years. It's something we're tackling every day."
    No it is not shrink It is theft . The theft happens directly in the store from snatch and grab shoplifting ;and it happens when packages are stolen off of porches .

The progressives don't care or they would do something about law enforcement .Why should they care about rich people getting ripped off ? The mom and pop stores ;the local bodegas also deal with it so it is not a question of the rich getting what is coming to them . It hurts everyone.

Speaking about dancing around the issue Walmart's CEO saying "It's uneven across the country" is a tactful way of saying that the theft is much more likely to happen in urban settings where progressive Dem politicians and DAs make the rules.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Love Dare Book [ 4 Answers ]

Good evening, My husband and I just recently watched the movie Fireproof. In this movie it discusses the book, The Love Dare. I just bought the book, and decided to take the dare. First day was: to hold my tongue when my spouse says something negative. Long story short, my husband is the most...

Dare to dream [ 2 Answers ]

Dare to dream translated to sanskrit

Need help to distinguish between auxiliary dare and main verb dare [ 1 Answers ]

I am facing a problem while differentiating between the use of dare as an auxiliary verb and as a main verb. Most of the web sites say that you can know it by the way it's used but all the sentences I come across, they just confuse me more and more. Consider the following two examples. 1. None...

View more questions Search