Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 12, 2023, 02:42 AM
    The blacklist returns
    The blacklist took a hiatus because the term 'cancelled ' has been replacing it .

I like blacklist better because it is the name of one of my favorite shows on television which will conclude after many years at the end of this month .

Today I nominate Roger Waters formerly of 'Pink Floyd' . For many years he has made a statement on stage AGAINST authoritarianism with props like banners with crossed hammers and wearing a long leather military looking coat and other military gear.

Of course that imagery reminds people of the Nazis .

Any clear thinking person would conclude that his act is anti-authoritarian ;as are the themes of his songs .
    Both his parents fought in WWII against fascism . His father was killed in February 1944 during the Battle of Aprilia in Italy.
    May 17 he took his act to Germany .

He was panned there for being antisemitic . They equated the crossed hammer banners as Nazi symbols . He is under investigation for incitment in Germany, where Nazi uniforms and symbols are illegal.
    Roger Waters says Nazi outfit at Berlin concert was anti-fascist | Reuters

I strongly disagree with his support for the BDS movement against Israel. But his pro-Palestinian views does not make him antisemitic .

Last week the US State Dept put in their 2 cents worth of wisdom.

US weighs in on Roger Waters antisemitism debate, says artist has long history of denigrating Jews | AP News

He responded by saying “the elements of my performance that have been questioned are quite clearly a statement in opposition to fascism, injustice, and bigotry in all its forms."

I wonder what would happen today if a comic genius like Charlie Chaplin or Mel Brooks were to dress as Hitler or a Nazi ; would the brain dead people of the cancel culture get it ?

Charlie Chaplin - Adenoid Hynkel Speech - The Great Dictator (1940) - YouTube

The Producers (1968) - Springtime for Hitler - YouTube
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 12, 2023, 12:34 PM
    Last week the US State Dept put in their 2 cents worth of wisdom.
    They put in all they had.
    Ultra Member

Jun 27, 2023, 03:32 AM
    next up on the blacklist /cancel culture is the truly pathetic events that lead to Buffalo Bills safety Jordan Poyer having to announce that his yearly golf charity event had been canceled. His annual tournament benefits the Erie County Medical Center's ECMC Foundation.

It was scheduled to be held at the Blue Monster at Trump National in South Florida on July 10th, but Poyer said that sponsors and teams dropped out because Trump owns the golf course.

Poyer said the reaction seems like “this is just the way America is right now,” and that as a nation, we can no longer share laughter, love, and conversation with people on the other side of the aisle. “I’m not naďve. I understand where they are on the political spectrum, where New York is on the political spectrum,” “Do I agree with a lot of it? No, I don’t. I’m sorry, but I don’t.”“I’m a big believer in the universal law that the energy you put out is the energy you get back, and we’re not doing that right now,” “All we do is fight with each other all day. Fight with each other about politics, about religion, about race.” “The issues that come up are the issues we create. … It blows my fricken’ mind that we sit here in America today with these issues,”

Bills' Jordan Poyer cancels celebrity charity golf event at Trump course after backlash | Fox News
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2023, 05:52 AM
    “All we do is fight with each other all day. Fight with each other about politics, about religion, about race.”
    I'm afraid that is sadly true. The issues that separate us now are of such a magnitude that I don't see how any resolution can come. Hopefully others here can suggest ways of getting there.
    Ultra Member

Jul 1, 2023, 10:14 AM
    Poyer was undeterred . He found new sponsors and his charity golf event will proceed on July 10 at Trump National .

Jordan Poyer charity golf tournament back after cancelation (nypost.com)
    Ultra Member

Aug 21, 2023, 02:03 PM
    The famous rock group Queen has made the blacklist . Led by queer lead vocalist Freddy Mercury ;this band was iconic in the 1970s and early 80s until Mercury succumbed to AiDS.
    Their performance at the Live Aid concert in 1985 was historic. Theirs was the consensus best performance of the show.

Their hits are numerous ;but one of their top songs is now being cancelled .

I give you the lyrics. It will be easy to determine who they offended.

I was just a skinny lad
    Never knew no good from bad
    But I knew life before I left my nursery
    Left alone with big fat Fanny
    She was such a naughty nanny
    Heap big woman, you made a bad boy out of me
    I've been singing with my band
    Across the wire, across the land
    I seen every blue eyed floozy on the way
    But their beauty and their style
    Went kind of smooth after a while
    Take me to them dirty ladies every time
    Oh, won't you take me home tonight?
    Oh, down beside your red firelight
    Oh, and you give it all you got
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round
    Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin' world go round

Written by lead guitarist Brian May who wrote many of the group's hits (and also has a doctorate in astrophysics from Imperial College in London) .The song is an anthem to male admiration of women with larger than average bodies.

For years it ranked up there with 'Bohemian Rhapsody', and 'We Will Rock You' in the group's greatest hits .

But last week it was absent from the list of songs put out by Universal Records highlighting Queen’s greatest hits.

It is the talk of the music industry, nobody can work out why such a good-natured fun song can’t be acceptable in today’s society

'Woke gone mad': Fat Bottomed Girls dropped from Queen's new Greatest Hits collection (yahoo.com)

This also flies in the face of the so called 'body positivity movement' that made Lizzo a star .

Body positivity - Wikipedia

Every Time Lizzo Preached Body Positivity: Photos (usmagazine.com)

The new Greatest hits collection sans the cancelled song has a disclaimer that says

"Please note that the lyrics in some of these songs contain adult themes, including occasional references to violence and drugs," "These are the original and unedited recordings. Whilst no swear words are used, parental discretion is advised when playing this content to or around younger children."
    That should've been sufficient. A Queen greatest hits album without the song is NOT their greatest hits .

Queen - Fat Bottomed Girls (Official Video) - YouTube
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2023, 01:13 PM
    Today's black lister is Jordan Peterson clinical psychologist, and professor emeritus from the University of Toronto, Canada . He lost a court battle against the College of Psychologists of Ontario, who demanded that he attend communist style Cultural Revolution " re-education "training due to “harmful” statements he made in 2022 on his personal social media account. If he doesn't attend and get reprogramed he will lose his license to practice.

What did he do that was so heinous ? He responded to tweets about masks and covid lockdowns
    Dr Jordan B Peterson on X: "Enough already. Time to stop. Stop the masks. Stop the lockdowns. Stop the petty power-mad hysteria. Leave people alone and let them get on with their lives @benshapiro" / X (twitter.com)

Dr Jordan B Peterson on X: "Enough. Enough COVID mandates. Drop the damn masks and the idiot rules and get on with life. Today." / X (twitter.com)

He also got into a tweet battle with the dictator of Canada Justin Trudeau over the trucker's protest in 2022 (again about draconian covid restrictions )

Dr Jordan B Peterson on X: "Then stop. Puppet. Now. What's your end game @JustinTrudeau ? Lay it out." / X (twitter.com)

Finally ;he responded to nonsense about population control with a flippant comment suggesting the person complaining could be the first to leave.

Dr Jordan B Peterson on X: "You're free to leave at any point." / X (twitter.com)

For this he was accused of encouraging suicide .

At first he refused to respond to the nonsense charges against him

Dr Jordan B Peterson on X: "I am being investigated by the Ontario College of Psychologists because of a complaint about this tweet, not submitted, by the way, by the person I responded to. I refuse to defend myself against such things anymore. It takes days of work to mount such a defence. https://t.co/rJB515nKpF" / X (twitter.com)

His complaining about the process became part of the investigation against him. After that almost every tweet he made became part of the investigation . Most of those comments were political ;nothing the College of Psychologists of Ontario should be concerned about.

There are other comments he made that can be found on the video below

The court ruled against him . So off to reeducation camp he goes. He announced that he will attend and broadcast it live. He will not submit to the cancel culture without a fight

Court orders Jordan Peterson to get social media training - YouTube
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2023, 06:50 AM
    Today's black lister is 'Ground Zero ' .

It is a Christian ministry that[ serves all youth and is a very positive force throughout the Myrtle Beach SC area.
    Ground Zero provides activities, concerts, food, service projects, and, God’s Word.

Myrtle Beach has a serious problem with poverty and homelessness despite being a resort community .Ground Zero's ministry is a positive force.
    But the LGBTQ++xyz crowd is pressuring the city leaders to disassociate with the charity .

On their site they state that “we believe God calls Christ-followers to abstain from sexual relationships or marriage with members of the same sex,” quoting Leviticus 18:22 and Romans 1:26-28.

Ground Zero / Biblical Positions (mygroundzero.com)

So far the town leaders have resisted the pressure to end support for this worthy organization .
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2023, 09:58 AM
    I wonder in what way Myrtle Beach is associated with this ministry?
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2023, 11:03 AM
    The Myrtle Beach Downtown Alliance made a post on Aug. 12 promoting Ground Zero. The post stated “a place where every teenager can belong and grow,”

There was a backlash by a group called '
    Grand Strand Pride '

Craig McGee, of Pride Myrtle Beach said
    Pride Myrtle Beach expresses deep concerns and disappointment regarding the recent partnership between the Myrtle Beach Downtown Alliance and Ground Zero,”

When the city became aware of a backlash against it ,City spokesperson Mark Kruea said “The city clearly does not hold the exclusionary beliefs stated on Ground Zero’s page.

This is a more recent article found locally .

City of Myrtle Beach at odds with Christian group's biblical stance MyrtleBeachSC News - Myrtle Beach Choice: Myrtle Beach SC Breaking News
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2024, 04:36 AM
    It's been a while since I added to the list .

Today's entry comes by way of the UK . Disney's wonderful movie 'Mary Poppins ' is now sorta on the list. Why ?

Well because it used to have a G rating safe for all to watch. But now it is being re-rated in the UK to a PG ( parental guidance ).

“While ‘Mary Poppins’ has a historical context, the use of discriminatory language is not condemned, and ultimately exceeds our guidelines for acceptable language at U,” the spokesperson said of the decision. “We therefore classified the film PG for discriminatory language.” Mary Poppins | BBFC

'Mary Poppins' rating increased in UK over 'discriminatory language' (usatoday.com)

I imagine that the new rating if anything will boost attendance .

You see back when the movie was made no one would have considered the possibility that a "derogatory word " had been uttered .

Here is the offensive scene

mary poppins hottentots - Google Search

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blacklist [ 1 Answers ]

I don't know am I blacklist?

How can I find out the status of 540X returns (amended California tax returns) [ 1 Answers ]

12 weeks ago I submitted amendments to my California state tax returns, is there a way to check on the status of these returns?

Can you file joint Federal returns and separate State Tax Returns [ 1 Answers ]

We lived in different cities so can we file joint federal returns and separate state returns??

View more questions Search