Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2023, 10:46 AM
    Book banners: an adventure in censorship
    "A proposal to ban a book should always be given the gravest consideration. Book-banners, after all, insist that the entire community should see things their way, and only their way. When a book is banned, a whole set of thoughts is locked behind the assertion that there is only one valid set of values, one valid set of beliefs, one valid perception of the world. It's a scary idea, especially in a society which has been built on the ideas of free choice and free thought."

https://stephenking.com/works/essay/...%20their%20way.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2023, 11:24 AM
    Also in the article.

Do I think that all books and all ideas should be allowed in school libraries? I do not. Schools are, after all, a "managed" marketplace. Books like "Fanny Hill" and Brett Easton Ellis' gruesome "American Psycho" have a right to be read by people who want to read them, but they don't belong in the libraries of tax-supported American middle schools.
    So the author is against book-banning unless, of course, it involves the books that HE wants banned.

Sure sounds a lot like utter hypocrisy as is the entire campaign against banning certain books in school libraries. Books which glorify rape should not be there, and nor should books that present racial violence as being a good thing that we should all engage in. Books that contain graphic descriptions of sex should not be there. Those are all areas that parents should make the decision about at home. If they want their child to read those books, then take them to a public library or order the books from Amazon.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2023, 01:32 PM
    Btw, I got and read through that ILL (interlibrary loan) book, It's Perfectly Normal. Fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    Also in the article.

So the author is against book-banning unless, of course, it involves the books that HE wants banned.
    I noticed that. :-)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2023, 08:42 AM
    Book-banners, after all, insist that the entire community should see things their way, and only their way.
    What an ironic statement . Progressive liberals believe that everyone can get along in peace and harmony so long as the people they disagree with can be silenced. Even when fellow lib special interests intersect one has to be purged from existence. As an example it would seem that left's belief in woman's rights should include the right to a safe space in a woman's bathroom and locker room . But if a woman expresses such a view she is instantly silenced by the woke mob.
    She is forced to share that space with a man pretending to be a woman.

As far as books goes the issue is not a general banning , It is specifically the restricting of SOME books that are age inappropriate and /or should not be used as teaching tools in a school .

NO ONE is suggesting that a parent should not be permitted to purchase ' It's Perfectly Normal. '
    And if a parent wants to read it to their child it is their business. The objection is teaching it to young children in school . That is not book banning .It is parents owning their child's education .

Note hardly a word is uttered by those decrying book banning when the answer to book banning for the left is the wholesale change of the book's words by editors who know better than the authors what is appropriate. btw ;what happened to 'Huckleberry Finn' ? What happened to Dr Seuss ? What happened to 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory '? The libs are more Orwellian .Change a word here or there ;change an expression or thought .Then allow their version of the book to be read .They then can say 'ban books .....who me ?'
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2023, 11:00 AM
    NO ONE is suggesting that a parent should not be permitted to purchase ' It's Perfectly Normal. ' And if a parent wants to read it to their child it is their business. The objection is teaching it to young children in school . That is not book banning .It is parents owning their child's education .
    Very well said. It's Perfectly Normal is left-wing propaganda as shown by the title assuring us that something we would regard as abnormal is actually, not merely normal, but perfectly so. These books do not belong in libraries until children have learned not to blindly accept what they read but to subject it to critical thought, and children are generally not taught that skill in school. It is exactly why drag queens should not "perform" in front of young children who just instinctively accept virtually everything they are told or see.

As an example it would seem that left's belief in woman's rights should include the right to a safe space in a woman's bathroom and locker room . But if a woman expresses such a view she is instantly silenced by the woke mob. She is forced to share that space with a man pretending to be a woman.
    Another really good point. It just all comes down to what we will censor, and not so much as to whether censorship will take place.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jun 8, 2023, 01:56 PM
    It just all comes down to what we will censor, and not so much as to whether censorship will take place
    The proof of this is the left's attempted outright cancelling of lib feminists lesbian icon Camilie Paglia .

She was in the hot seat for her comments during the brief' Me Too' era ;and for this comment about transformers .

"It is certainly ironic how liberals who posture as defenders of science when it comes to global warming (a sentimental myth unsupported by evidence) flee all reference to biology when it comes to gender. Biology has been programmatically excluded from women's studies and gender studies programs for almost 50 years now. Thus very few current gender studies professors and theorists, here and abroad, are intellectually or scientifically prepared to teach their subjects," she said. "The cold biological truth is that sex changes are impossible. Every single cell of the human body remains coded with one's birth gender for life. Intersex ambiguities can occur, but they are developmental anomalies that represent a tiny proportion of all human births."

What Feminist Camille Paglia Says About Transgenderism (dailysignal.com)

For that students at her college tried to have her cancelled .

Petition · UArts: Support Transgender Students and Survivors of Sexual Assault · Change.org
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2023, 02:22 PM
    Stating the truth can be a dangerous proposition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can some one tell me the title of a book about a civil war/sci-fi adventure that has [ 2 Answers ]

Can some one tell me the title of a book about a civil war/sci-fi adventure that has csa troops battling death-crazed aliens on a far-off planet in the hope of changing the fates of two worlds.some told me it was ''expeditionary force'' but I can not fined the book at all. Can some one help me...

Looking for book title and author - jungle adventure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for the title and author of an adventure novel. It is set in the jungle, maybe in the Amazon and one of the characters has a pet Jaguar. The group is made up of scientists, a guide (with jaguar) and some others. I think they are in search of an isolated tribe deep in the jungle and...

View more questions Search